German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 9 year old GSD, and for the most part he has been super healthy, with no problems. About 2 weeks ago, he started vomiting, and diarrhea. We have not changed anything in his diet at this point. Over the next few days, we assumed it was a bad stomach bug, and we let it run its course for a few days. We went to the vet about 4 days in, and they prescribed him some antibiotics, etc. After about a week, the antibiotics hadn't seemed to hep the diarrhea. I took him back, and they gave him fluids, because I was concerned he was dehydrated. During this time, he kept his appetite for the most part.

Over the last 3 weeks he has lost over 10 pounds (was 92, now 80). The doctors pulled blood, and found extremely high white blood cell counts, and said he had a massive infection, and prescribed some more antibiotics, along with probiotics. Within the last few days, he will not eat anything for the most part. I took him back to the vet on Saturday, and they gave him more fluids, and sent me home with 3 additional bags of fluids for the next few days. Yesterday I found some info on irritable bowel syndrome, and all of his symptoms fit it to a tee.

I called the vet back, and they have now put him on steroids to try to reduce the inflammation of the bowel, etc. Within the first 12 hours, his spirits have picked back up, and he seems normal, except that he wont eat other than maybe a piece of bread, here and there. my wife and I have even resorted to getting him chicken nuggets, which he will usually eat 1 or 2, but then nothing else. Im afraid that if he doesnt eat soon, I will end up having to put him down, as I cant stand to see him in this condition, and he cant survive without eating.

I really dont want to have to destroy him if there is something I can fix. Unfortunately, my vet and myself are at a loss. I m already into this guy almost 2000 dollars over the last 3 weeks. The money isnt the issue, Im more concerned with his well being, and quality of life.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
112 Posts
Keep working with your vet and trust in the steroids. Keep him hydrated. My mom had brought back a couple of dogs, I will never forget, when I was a kid...by keeping them hydrated! She would get broth down them, along with med's of course and they came back! If you noticed he has perked up a bit, there is hope. Have the second antibiotics had time to kick in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think the 2nd set of biotics is on board, weve been giving them to him for 2-3 days now. Hes only on his 3rd dose of steroids at the moment. My biggest concern is the weight loss, and not eating at his point. He actually wanted to go on a walk today, so we took him, and he seemed ok, and even came to see me when I got home from work tonight, tail wagging, etc which he NEVER does as long as my wife and daughter are home. I just need some weight back on him, as Im starting to be able to see his bones :(.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yea I think the 2nd set of biotics is on board, weve been giving them to him for 2-3 days now. Hes only on his 3rd dose of steroids at the moment. My biggest concern is the weight loss, and not eating at his point. He actually wanted to go on a walk today, so we took him, and he seemed ok, and even came to see me when I got home from work tonight, tail wagging, etc which he NEVER does as long as my wife and daughter are home. I just need some weight back on him, as Im starting to be able to see his bones :(.
You can also get him some Nutri Cal it's a high calorie supplement in a tube at most pet stores. There is also a very hi caloric meal in a cat size wet food tin for dogs. It was given out by an animal hospital here and designed for dogs like yours that can't eat much and need to rebound after being sick like yours or coming out of surgery. I wonder if your vet carries it? I don't think you can get it in the pet store. You will have to check around but it would be worth a try! I believe it's made by Royal Canin but not sure! Coconut Oil is high caloric and safe as a supplement. You can see if he wants to lick a little bit at a time but I wouldn't over do that....my dog loves it and you can look more into that. It would deliver calories!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello all,
Thanks for the suggestions, but he just wouldnt eat anymore. This morning, he was having labored breathing, and was severely lethargic. Unfortunately, I had to let him go today :(. The vet and I agreed that it was the right thing to do at this point in time. The saddest part was when I had to tell my 4 year old that he wanted to move to doggie heaven, and she asked if he could eat cookies there! I told her he could, and she gave him a kiss goodbye, and told him to have a good time (so sad). Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions!

Brian

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. This image you describe sounds all to familiar when we found out our previous dog had cancer. Diagnosis to death in three weeks. Really not enough time for you to absorb all this. Sounds like you did the best for your dog.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss! :teary:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts