German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a two year old female who is two weeks from giving birth. The last couple weeks she has been fighting with my older spayed lab usually in doorways, we have had to separate them. Yet she is fine and dandy with our two males. Now that the lab sleeps in her crate she barks at her in the crate. Do yall think this is a pregnancy thing? she wasn't like this before the last couple weeks. Or a dominance thing which I have no idea how to fix without rehoming a dog. Any and all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
your dog needs to feel relaxed , safe and secure in a room dedicated for her to have her pups. Two weeks to birthing most dogs sleep the majority of the day .
She needs to nest . No dogs to compete with her . Privacy from other dogs for the pups. Quiet for the newborns .

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
What Carmen said. To her, another female may be seen as a potential threat to her puppies. You need to keep them separated for now and provide her with a quiet, private place where she will feel comfortable, safe and secure to whelp and raise her pups.

She may go back to getting along with the other female once her pups are gone. Or she may not. Only time will tell on that. But for now you need to keep the other the other dogs, males and females, away from her nest and her puppies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts