German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
My husband and I are on vacation and today we saw the most emaciated GSD I've ever seen. He was running on the road outside our Association property and earlier was inside the campground. We stopped to see if he would get into our van, but he wouldn't. I happened to have a bag of dogfood in the van, so I put a couple of cups on the ground, which he laid next to and began to eat like he wouldn't get another meal. At that time the owner drove up, said it was his dog, called him, and wouldn't let him finish eating. The girl in the car said she would be buying him some high protein kibble soon! He didn't just need high protein, he needed food, and a good vet.
Should I call the authorities on them? They would know it was us, but our neighbor said she was calling too. He also had mange all over, flybites, ticks, and I'm sure he had fleas. He was so skinny his back bone stuck up, it was so sad. Help? What should I do. It makes me cry that poor guy was outside with no water, no shelter and no food, and it was 100 today.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Personally I know it's awkward but I wouldn't care even if they knew it was me calling, if they have a issue with it then they should be taking care of that dog properly. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have them forced to take him to a vet

At the very least they should be able to cite them for having him loose hopefully?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From the way they were talking the dog has NEVER been to a vet! Also, I don't think he had any food to feed him, didn't look like they had enough to feed themselves. The dog was bald in several places, had ticks on his ears that were visible, nope, it didn't have a medical condition. It had a stupid owner doesn't have enough money to buy dog food condition.
I talked with my neighbor, thought I could go to town and buy a big bag of food for him, but what happens when I go home? And what about the ticks and flies, the heat and lack of water? What a horrible way for a dog to live. They were complaining he keeps running off, I wonder why? Maybe to find something to eat and drink? This makes me so mad! We are in a tiny camper and Harley is sitting at me feet because i didn't want him to get irritated by flies or get hot! Goodness, why do these kind of folks have dogs? I thought I might offer them some money for him and then take him to a rescue if they take it?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
That poor dog, that is absolute neglect and animal cruelty. It needs to be reported for sure :(

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looked up the local information, looks like animal control is only a few miles from here. I pray they will take the dog, he looks so sad...

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Thank you for being compassionate and not looking away when you encountered this suffering animal. You are his guardian angel.

Option #1

Is there any possibility of having an honest, non-confrontational conversation with them about the fact that their dog is sick and starving, needs care they seem not able to provide, that you could perhaps give him, in order to convince them to surrender the dog to you? Maybe compassionate honesty would convince them to let you take the dog. Maybe. I know of instances where this sort of conversation has worked.

Option #2
Since they are very poor and can't afford to feed themselves, if the first approach doesn't work, then I'd go with your other idea: offer them money for the dog. Take a hundred bucks in cash to them, and a leash, and you'll likely leave with the dog. Then email your nearest reputable GSR, tell them what's going on and ask for help. (In my experience "HELP!" plus "I'm willing to foster if you'll take on this dog" = an enthusiastic commitment to help the dog, provide vetting, and help find an adopter.)

FWIW, I know the feeling of having a vacation interrupted by happening upon an emaciated, terrified stray puppy in a parking lot who needed me to be his "angel". Ending up with a filthy, starving puppy in my car was not the way I planned to spend a vacation--scurrying to find vets open in a city I don't know on a Saturday afternoon, when I should have been doing something else. It sucks, it's inconvenient, not the way you want to spend time in a place that isn't home, but....there's really no saying "no," is there? If you save this dog, you'll remember this vacation as being the best camping trip because it will always make you smile when you think back on it and then ponder the better place you helped this dog get to.

In most parts of the country, animal control is to likely put a dog like this down, as the sick ones are always the first to be euthanized. If they surrender him, please bail him out immediately and take him. You might be able to pay Animal Control's vet to examine him, bath him, worm him, and flea dip him for the ride home, if you are in a rural area with no other options. Don't expect much, but they ought to be set up to at least do that.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to take him with me but....
I have Harley with me and I'm not sure what that dog has. I would NOT expose him to anything that dog has. We are already having problems with his allergies and him having mange on his nose (gone now) but we don't need him sick again. If I buy him (consideration, but I have to wait for the couple to get home), I will ask someone to come get him. I will look for a local GSR and see if I give them the money, will they go ask to buy him.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
called the local animal shelter, they are coming out to check on him. Looks like they are a no kill shelter.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
even no kill shelters will euthanize animals who are sick or deemed non adoptable...

Hope someone helps this guy..... :( :(

Lee

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My husband and I are on vacation and today we saw the most emaciated GSD I've ever seen. He was running on the road outside our Association property and earlier was inside the campground. We stopped to see if he would get into our van, but he wouldn't. I happened to have a bag of dogfood in the van, so I put a couple of cups on the ground, which he laid next to and began to eat like he wouldn't get another meal. At that time the owner drove up, said it was his dog, called him, and wouldn't let him finish eating. The girl in the car said she would be buying him some high protein kibble soon! He didn't just need high protein, he needed food, and a good vet.
Should I call the authorities on them? They would know it was us, but our neighbor said she was calling too. He also had mange all over, flybites, ticks, and I'm sure he had fleas. He was so skinny his back bone stuck up, it was so sad. Help? What should I do. It makes me cry that poor guy was outside with no water, no shelter and no food, and it was 100 today.
I absolutely would call, it's a clear case of neglect, the dog is better off in a shelter, it's better than being run over by a car, maimed, tortured by punks or starving to death.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
keep us posted about the pup's condition and what you decided to do and how it all panned out please...praying for the pup to find an appreciative forever home...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turned out my neighbor went in to the humane society here and gave them a $50 dollar donation to go get the dog. I'm not sure yet if they picked him up, but anyone seeing the dog would know he is being neglected and is sick. I will call again tomorrow, see if he is there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts