German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
5,627 Posts
jakeandrenee... you aren't starving your puppy. Raven only eats 2 cups of kibble a day total and is around 80lbs.

Jgk... 478k/cup is a pretty calorie dense food (one of the highest I've seen). I would think you are feeding too much. Try cutting back to 1 cup each meal (3 cup total).

·
Registered
32,378 Posts
3 cups total for a puppy that you can see all the ribs on, 25.5 inches at the whithers, and 61 pounds???

Is the OP feeding Nutro lamb and rice or Natural balance -- I am confused. If it is nutro -- no way is that too much for a nine month old puppy.

I am getting very nervous for this puppy. Puppies that are malnourished can have problems down the road. I hate to say go with your vet, but at least your vet can see hm and feel him.

Whatever you have been doing to get this guy from 51 to 61, continue doing this, three meals, same amount, until you cannot see a rack of ribs or feel the back bone all the way down, or see the hip bones. The poo is semi formed mush poo. Think of it as puppy poop. When your dog has caught up, you can play around with changing his food and finding something that makes the good solid turds you are looking for.

Reducing your pups food WILL most likely improve poop. But if your pup starts losing weight again, it may be even harder to get it back on him.

·
Registered
32,378 Posts
He is growing, maturing, and has puppy energy levels. They need more food than an adult dog.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
JGK's puppy is 11 months old

I feed both of my dogs TOTW, my 70 pound GSD mix gets 3 cups a day and my 80 pound GSD gets 3.5 cups a day. They are both 1.5 years old

I buy a 30 pound bag for $39.99

They have 3 different formulas

Here are the ingredients for their High Prairie Canine Formula

Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Calorie Content: 3,719 kcal/kg (369 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

·
5,627 Posts
3 cups total for a puppy that you can see all the ribs on, 25.5 inches at the whithers, and 61 pounds???
Yes, I stand by what I said. You need to look at the whole picture. It is a high calorie food, he is gaining weight and his poop is not normal (though not terrible).

It is much better for him to gain weight slowly and in a healthy way than to be wasting food that he is obviously not absorbing just to put weight on him.

Yes, watch to make sure he doesn't start losing. Maybe try a different food and run tests. But what his poop is saying is that he is not absorbing all the food he is putting into his body so you are making his digestive system work over time to process food and wasting food.

That's just what I would do and have done.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am feeding Natural Balance LID Lamb and Rice. I called the company and it is 478 vcals per cup. I have been to the vet numerous times in the past month. His fecal came back with bacteria and parasites. We treated both with antibiotics and Panacur. He had a blood draw and everything was fine. Today we go back today because I am insisting on a blood test for EPI and I think he may have an ear infection. I do not care about the prices of anything or the prices of food I just want this dog to get well and live his life the way it should have been from day 1. He is active, happy and just generally full of P*ss and vinegar. Its his poops and weight :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Update- I called the place where he came from which I have refrained from doing in fear that I might loose it on these people but I called calmly to ask what they were feeding him. They said mostly canidae but they mixed it up and thought he didnt get alot of food... no Sh*t ya think? Should I buy Canidae? The first day he was here his poop was solid but it was filled with sand etc which Im assuming was because the water he was drinking out of was filled with sand because he would jump in and out of it.

·
Registered
32,378 Posts
I had some serious problems with Canidae putting weight on the dog.

For some reason I was thinking Nutro Natural Choice, sounds kind of like Natural Balance. Natural Balance is manufactured by Diamond, but is supposedly a premium food. I have not heard of as much trouble with NB as I have with Canidae.

I would NOT feed Canidae to put weight on the dog.

When you are at the vet today, mention the calories and how much you are feeding of the food, they type of poops you are getting, and let him check the dogs condition, tell him how much weight gain in the past month, and get his professional opinion on whether you should reduce the food for slower, steadier growth, or leave the food the same until the dog is at a more appropriate weight.

61 pounds for nine months is not a problem at all. But this is already oversized for an adult shepherd, and has as many bones showing, it sounds like he is seriously underweight.

I get what they are saying about the intestine working harder and wasting food, but puppies in general need far more food than adults, and his mush poo could be as symptom of getting the crazies, jumping around etc, before or after he eats.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks Selzer. The vet has seen him numerous times the past month I will be sure to update with what she says today. Elvis is 11 months old not 9. He was about 20-27 lbs underweight according to the vet. He has gained about 10 lbs in the past month (since hes been here with me)

·
Registered
32,378 Posts
Ok, thanks. I though I saw a post in August that mentioned eight months. It sounds like he is reaching or has reached his adult height, but he still has a lot of maturing to go before he is done growing. I am not as nervous about him at eleven as I would be at nine months, but get your vet's opinion on it anyhow.

Lots of people on here do not have a ton of respect for vets opinions on proper weight or proper nutrition but it is a piece of the over all pie when it comes to making your decision on how you want to proceed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
your right I did write 8 months back in august but then found out he was actually 10 months. He was born 10/20/10 not 12/20/10 like they told me. I am just beyond frustrated.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Do you have some photos of the dog? Kinda hard to say whether he's fine or malnourished just based on numbers. I mean, my dog was 25" 66lb showing rib and perfectly healthy and had stamina (won agility ribbons and titled in this condition).

·
Registered
32,378 Posts
It is really hard to say by the pictures alone. He looks thin, but young shepherds are often thin.

Slow steady growth is generally better than rapid weight gain, so I am starting to agree with GSDRaven that it might make sense to back off a little bit. I would start with 1/4 cup per feeding, and weigh him every week.

But of course, also interested in what the vet says.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts