German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
So he is eating 5.5 cups of kibble (which is quite a lot). How much does he currently weigh, what are you feeding and how old is he. I'm curious if you back down the feeding for a while if his poop will firm up a bit. I know your vet said that he was under nourished, but if you feed too mcuh, he won't be able to digest it all.

·
Registered
32,329 Posts
I think that is 4.5 cups, and for a 61 pound dog that is under nourished, depending on what it is, I do not know that is so much. I am feeding my puppies a little more than four cups a day, even Joy who is 63 pounds (1 year), is getting 4 cups/day, and she is about done growing upward.

I think this boy is a puppy, he should eat more than an adult anyway.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i know this is supposed to be a serious thread but i cant stop laughing. My husband would be calling me gross and paranoid. All i'm going to say on the subject is i hope things get better and your dogs poo "firms" up.

·
Registered
32,329 Posts
Does anyone sing poo songs while cleaning up???

Poo in the morning
Poo in the e-e-evning
Poo in the morning
Poo every day

Or, to the tune of going to the zoo:
We going to Poo Poo Poo
How about You You You
You can Poo Too Too Too
We're going to poo.

We're all going to Poo tomorrow
Poo tomorrow, Poo tomorrow
We're all going to Poo tomorrow,
And you can poo all day.

On Sundays:
There is Poo, There is Poo-oo-oo
Early each morning is Poo-oo-oo-oo
Sudenly, silently, we are all pooping
Pooping for me, and for you.

(Am hoping God has an awesome sense of humor.)

My neighbors think I'm cracked.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'd switch the guy over to TOTW dog food even if he's a pup, and if you're concerned about calcium, give him a supplement. I really got tired of those poos the way you described them. And as an added plus, his coat is shiny and beautiful.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Does anyone sing poo songs while cleaning up???

Poo in the morning
Poo in the e-e-evning
Poo in the morning
Poo every day

Or, to the tune of going to the zoo:
We going to Poo Poo Poo
How about You You You
You can Poo Too Too Too
We're going to poo.

We're all going to Poo tomorrow
Poo tomorrow, Poo tomorrow
We're all going to Poo tomorrow,
And you can poo all day.

On Sundays:
There is Poo, There is Poo-oo-oo
Early each morning is Poo-oo-oo-oo
Sudenly, silently, we are all pooping
Pooping for me, and for you.

(Am hoping God has an awesome sense of humor.)

My neighbors think I'm cracked.

i would say God does indeed have a sense of humor! i cant think of any specifics times right now but i'm sure he does have one!!! My neighbors think we're going to kill people because we're quiet. Guess its either that or they'd think we were cracked too!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
That was a huge poo. Did anyone else think that?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
hes 11 months old and 61 lbs... up from 52lbs last month :( I started him on Natural Balance lamb and Rice after I thought the orijen was doing this to him. I switched to fast because I thought well his stomach is already a mess it cant get worse. I think it was big poop too. WHat is that a sign of? When he was being fed boiled Rice and chicken his poop was smaller.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I resisted looking at pictures of poop but my curiosity got the best of me- I have to agree, it doesn't look so bad to me. A greater quantity than I'm used to seeing though. If I were me, I'd feed the chicken and rice along with 1 cup of dry mixed in, then increase the dry and decrease the chicken/rice. If you're worried about calcium you can give him some Tums- my vet and I had this discussion when I was considering a homemade diet. She said the easiest way to add calcium carbonate is with Tums.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Your dog is almost a year old, TOTW will be fine for your dog to switch to.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Stosh I wasnt worried about lack of calcium i was worried about too much. Does anyone know if he did have EPI if he would have gained weight? My vet appointment isnt until 4 today and the waiting is killing me.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
hes 11 months old and 61 lbs... up from 52lbs last month :( I started him on Natural Balance lamb and Rice after I thought the orijen was doing this to him. I switched to fast because I thought well his stomach is already a mess it cant get worse. I think it was big poop too. WHat is that a sign of? When he was being fed boiled Rice and chicken his poop was smaller.
To me, a large poop that is formed but soft usually means overfeeding. There's no magic formula to what or how much or how often a dog should eat, it's something each owner kind of has to feel out on their own. Your dog to me does not sound small or too lightweight or malnourished. I have a 7 year old dog that weighs 50lbs and eats 2 cups of food a day, total. But I also have a 2 year old dog that is 70lbs and eats about 5 cups a day total. I often increase/decrease food depending on the activity level of the dog. The first sign I'm over feeding are large mushy poops.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Liese. While he is gaining you can see every rib on his body and his pelvis as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Maybe I should have just raw fed from the get go. This is what I get for screwing around, now im afraid to even attempt to raw feed.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Have you tried feeding satin balls for weight gain? You can get the recipe here or google it. It's very effective, uses raw meat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yup I have them made and frozen ready to go. Im just afraid to feed them with all of his poop issues.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Guess my brain wasn't working well yesterday. But regardless it seems like the food might be too much for him. Also 4 cups od one kibble is different than 4 cups of a different brand. Depending on what Dakota eats he can be eating 3-4 1/2 cups.... without being too much.
I don't know how much calories are in the current food he is feeding (not listed on website), however they recommend feeding a 60 lb puppy is 7.5 cups !!! :O But a 60 pound adult is up to 3 3/4 cups.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Guess my brain wasn't working well yesterday. But regardless it seems like the food might be too much for him. Also 4 cups od one kibble is different than 4 cups of a different brand. Depending on what Dakota eats he can be eating 3-4 1/2 cups.... without being too much.
I don't know how much calories are in the current food he is feeding (not listed on website), however they recommend feeding a 60 lb puppy is 7.5 cups !!! :O But a 60 pound adult is up to 3 3/4 cups.

I called Natural Balanec and asked. It is 478 cals per cup. I raw feed my terriers, but for some reason I got it in my head that since he is so underweight that he needed to be on a kibble to catch up then once that happened I would eventually switch to raw and we'd all live happily ever after. Yea, not so much! Should I just start introducing the raw now and skip the kibble all togehter? Will he put on weight with Raw?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I must be starving my puppy, he gets 3 cups of kibble a day w/RAW or 4 cups a day. I have never ever fed more then 4 cups a day...Jake is 74 pounds and 7 months old.

I suggest feeding good quality kibble and pumpkin for a while, let his tummy settle and form a plan.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.