German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright im at my witts end. He had solid poop this morning, it was the same colour as the poop in the picture now he has this. Its pick up able but still not solid. What consistency would you call this? I am having the EPI test done tomorrow. My Vet insists its not EPI... she says he was very malnourished, had parasites then had a bacterial infection. She said if it comes back as EPI she will reimburse me for the blood test, that is how sure she is that it is not EPI. Obviously im still getting the test done. He has gained about 10 lbs maybe more in the past month hes been here... if it was epi would he gain weight at all? IM SO FRUSTRATED!!! I Just want to give my guy the home and health he deserves. The poop color is a brownish yellow if you cant tell from the picture. He got over his metrozondole antibiotics 2 days ago.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rice didnt do too much... the pumpkin is what im using now and its helping. Im sooo frustrated :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was that colour before the pumpkin :/

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as I took the picture I started thinking tomyself that this is not normal lol.. not normal to be taking pictures of poop and certainly not normal to post them on the internet... but if I can get some insight it will be worth it. Ive heard TOTW doesnt have acceptable calcium lvels for younger dogs... my guy is 11months. He did HORRIBLE on orijen so I changed him to a natural balance LID lamb and rice and hopefully it will help him.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Leslie, I feed the same.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Husband-"Honey, whatcha ya doin?" Me- "Oh, just lookin at a picture of dog poo to determine if its normal or not." Husband- Silence. Turns around, exits room.

Thats exactly what happened except he shook his head while he was walking away :help:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well he just pooped again and it was a big mess of pudding thickness not formed at all... he just ate an hour ago too. Im hoping he is having a transition phase. This is awful.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1.5 cups sometimes just a little less and that is 3x a day. I am going to withhold food for 24 hours then do a bland diet of chicken and rice then start adding his food little by little. Ill also have them run another fecal tomorrow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
hes 11 months old and 61 lbs... up from 52lbs last month :( I started him on Natural Balance lamb and Rice after I thought the orijen was doing this to him. I switched to fast because I thought well his stomach is already a mess it cant get worse. I think it was big poop too. WHat is that a sign of? When he was being fed boiled Rice and chicken his poop was smaller.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Stosh I wasnt worried about lack of calcium i was worried about too much. Does anyone know if he did have EPI if he would have gained weight? My vet appointment isnt until 4 today and the waiting is killing me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Liese. While he is gaining you can see every rib on his body and his pelvis as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Maybe I should have just raw fed from the get go. This is what I get for screwing around, now im afraid to even attempt to raw feed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yup I have them made and frozen ready to go. Im just afraid to feed them with all of his poop issues.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Guess my brain wasn't working well yesterday. But regardless it seems like the food might be too much for him. Also 4 cups od one kibble is different than 4 cups of a different brand. Depending on what Dakota eats he can be eating 3-4 1/2 cups.... without being too much.
I don't know how much calories are in the current food he is feeding (not listed on website), however they recommend feeding a 60 lb puppy is 7.5 cups !!! :O But a 60 pound adult is up to 3 3/4 cups.

I called Natural Balanec and asked. It is 478 cals per cup. I raw feed my terriers, but for some reason I got it in my head that since he is so underweight that he needed to be on a kibble to catch up then once that happened I would eventually switch to raw and we'd all live happily ever after. Yea, not so much! Should I just start introducing the raw now and skip the kibble all togehter? Will he put on weight with Raw?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thank you. I am going to do this.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I am feeding Natural Balance LID Lamb and Rice. I called the company and it is 478 vcals per cup. I have been to the vet numerous times in the past month. His fecal came back with bacteria and parasites. We treated both with antibiotics and Panacur. He had a blood draw and everything was fine. Today we go back today because I am insisting on a blood test for EPI and I think he may have an ear infection. I do not care about the prices of anything or the prices of food I just want this dog to get well and live his life the way it should have been from day 1. He is active, happy and just generally full of P*ss and vinegar. Its his poops and weight :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Update- I called the place where he came from which I have refrained from doing in fear that I might loose it on these people but I called calmly to ask what they were feeding him. They said mostly canidae but they mixed it up and thought he didnt get alot of food... no Sh*t ya think? Should I buy Canidae? The first day he was here his poop was solid but it was filled with sand etc which Im assuming was because the water he was drinking out of was filled with sand because he would jump in and out of it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks Selzer. The vet has seen him numerous times the past month I will be sure to update with what she says today. Elvis is 11 months old not 9. He was about 20-27 lbs underweight according to the vet. He has gained about 10 lbs in the past month (since hes been here with me)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
your right I did write 8 months back in august but then found out he was actually 10 months. He was born 10/20/10 not 12/20/10 like they told me. I am just beyond frustrated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts