German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would call that consistency soft but formed. My dogs' poop is that color, but so is their kibble (California Natural Lamb and Rice, it's brown).

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
hes 11 months old and 61 lbs... up from 52lbs last month :( I started him on Natural Balance lamb and Rice after I thought the orijen was doing this to him. I switched to fast because I thought well his stomach is already a mess it cant get worse. I think it was big poop too. WHat is that a sign of? When he was being fed boiled Rice and chicken his poop was smaller.
To me, a large poop that is formed but soft usually means overfeeding. There's no magic formula to what or how much or how often a dog should eat, it's something each owner kind of has to feel out on their own. Your dog to me does not sound small or too lightweight or malnourished. I have a 7 year old dog that weighs 50lbs and eats 2 cups of food a day, total. But I also have a 2 year old dog that is 70lbs and eats about 5 cups a day total. I often increase/decrease food depending on the activity level of the dog. The first sign I'm over feeding are large mushy poops.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Do you have some photos of the dog? Kinda hard to say whether he's fine or malnourished just based on numbers. I mean, my dog was 25" 66lb showing rib and perfectly healthy and had stamina (won agility ribbons and titled in this condition).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts