German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
Ah the varieties of poo!

There is runny poo -- almost liquid very, very bad, but not as bad as bloody liquid poo.

Bloody liquid poo is history here I think, I have not had this since changing dog foods over a year ago. This poo is red and sometimes spatters out, sometimes it is in pools -- not good at all.

There is cow patty poo, that is globs of semi solid ooze in circular piles. Not fun, and rare here.

And then there is mush poo. Mush poo looks kind of what you have there, not solid turds but somewhat formed. Mush poo comes in a variety of colors, from a pale yellow to a medium brown.

Streaked poo. Streaked poo comes in varieties as well, it is usually dark brown with darker streaks usually blood -- not the type of poop you want; you can also have medium brown with mucus streaks -- also not desireable.

Perfect Ten Poopie -- These are medium brown turds that are easily scraped into the pooper scooper. When pressed, they are solid. They do not leave a residue. They do not have any blood or mucus visible.

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
I think that is 4.5 cups, and for a 61 pound dog that is under nourished, depending on what it is, I do not know that is so much. I am feeding my puppies a little more than four cups a day, even Joy who is 63 pounds (1 year), is getting 4 cups/day, and she is about done growing upward.

I think this boy is a puppy, he should eat more than an adult anyway.

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
Does anyone sing poo songs while cleaning up???

Poo in the morning
Poo in the e-e-evning
Poo in the morning
Poo every day

Or, to the tune of going to the zoo:
We going to Poo Poo Poo
How about You You You
You can Poo Too Too Too
We're going to poo.

We're all going to Poo tomorrow
Poo tomorrow, Poo tomorrow
We're all going to Poo tomorrow,
And you can poo all day.

On Sundays:
There is Poo, There is Poo-oo-oo
Early each morning is Poo-oo-oo-oo
Sudenly, silently, we are all pooping
Pooping for me, and for you.

(Am hoping God has an awesome sense of humor.)

My neighbors think I'm cracked.

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
3 cups total for a puppy that you can see all the ribs on, 25.5 inches at the whithers, and 61 pounds???

Is the OP feeding Nutro lamb and rice or Natural balance -- I am confused. If it is nutro -- no way is that too much for a nine month old puppy.

I am getting very nervous for this puppy. Puppies that are malnourished can have problems down the road. I hate to say go with your vet, but at least your vet can see hm and feel him.

Whatever you have been doing to get this guy from 51 to 61, continue doing this, three meals, same amount, until you cannot see a rack of ribs or feel the back bone all the way down, or see the hip bones. The poo is semi formed mush poo. Think of it as puppy poop. When your dog has caught up, you can play around with changing his food and finding something that makes the good solid turds you are looking for.

Reducing your pups food WILL most likely improve poop. But if your pup starts losing weight again, it may be even harder to get it back on him.

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
He is growing, maturing, and has puppy energy levels. They need more food than an adult dog.

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
I had some serious problems with Canidae putting weight on the dog.

For some reason I was thinking Nutro Natural Choice, sounds kind of like Natural Balance. Natural Balance is manufactured by Diamond, but is supposedly a premium food. I have not heard of as much trouble with NB as I have with Canidae.

I would NOT feed Canidae to put weight on the dog.

When you are at the vet today, mention the calories and how much you are feeding of the food, they type of poops you are getting, and let him check the dogs condition, tell him how much weight gain in the past month, and get his professional opinion on whether you should reduce the food for slower, steadier growth, or leave the food the same until the dog is at a more appropriate weight.

61 pounds for nine months is not a problem at all. But this is already oversized for an adult shepherd, and has as many bones showing, it sounds like he is seriously underweight.

I get what they are saying about the intestine working harder and wasting food, but puppies in general need far more food than adults, and his mush poo could be as symptom of getting the crazies, jumping around etc, before or after he eats.

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
Ok, thanks. I though I saw a post in August that mentioned eight months. It sounds like he is reaching or has reached his adult height, but he still has a lot of maturing to go before he is done growing. I am not as nervous about him at eleven as I would be at nine months, but get your vet's opinion on it anyhow.

Lots of people on here do not have a ton of respect for vets opinions on proper weight or proper nutrition but it is a piece of the over all pie when it comes to making your decision on how you want to proceed.

·
Registered
32,491 Posts
It is really hard to say by the pictures alone. He looks thin, but young shepherds are often thin.

Slow steady growth is generally better than rapid weight gain, so I am starting to agree with GSDRaven that it might make sense to back off a little bit. I would start with 1/4 cup per feeding, and weigh him every week.

But of course, also interested in what the vet says.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts