German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright im at my witts end. He had solid poop this morning, it was the same colour as the poop in the picture now he has this. Its pick up able but still not solid. What consistency would you call this? I am having the EPI test done tomorrow. My Vet insists its not EPI... she says he was very malnourished, had parasites then had a bacterial infection. She said if it comes back as EPI she will reimburse me for the blood test, that is how sure she is that it is not EPI. Obviously im still getting the test done. He has gained about 10 lbs maybe more in the past month hes been here... if it was epi would he gain weight at all? IM SO FRUSTRATED!!! I Just want to give my guy the home and health he deserves. The poop color is a brownish yellow if you cant tell from the picture. He got over his metrozondole antibiotics 2 days ago.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's soft but formed poo and not terrible. My lab has EPI and his stools were very very pale in color with slime and oily fat covering it....that is not typical EPI poop at all. Add some brown rice, pumpkin, and or yogurt for awhile it'll firm up. Also too much food causes stool softening so make sure you are not overfeeding:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rice didnt do too much... the pumpkin is what im using now and its helping. Im sooo frustrated :(

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
The pumpkin will make the the poop a yellowish color.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was that colour before the pumpkin :/

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jgk2383: I know this is a serious thread, but I could not help but chuckle, because it is a very unique thread, based on the "matter" LOL. I was wondering, I know there is no silver bullet to digestion problems, but have you tried Taste of the Wild? My guy was having problems and since he started eating that, everything comes out nice (insofar as we can describe that stuff as "nice"). I enjoy taking him for his walks now because when the poo bag comes out I know I won't have to double up with bags because of the need to work harder to get it all.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as I took the picture I started thinking tomyself that this is not normal lol.. not normal to be taking pictures of poop and certainly not normal to post them on the internet... but if I can get some insight it will be worth it. Ive heard TOTW doesnt have acceptable calcium lvels for younger dogs... my guy is 11months. He did HORRIBLE on orijen so I changed him to a natural balance LID lamb and rice and hopefully it will help him.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would call that consistency soft but formed. My dogs' poop is that color, but so is their kibble (California Natural Lamb and Rice, it's brown).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Leslie, I feed the same.

·
Registered
32,285 Posts
Ah the varieties of poo!

There is runny poo -- almost liquid very, very bad, but not as bad as bloody liquid poo.

Bloody liquid poo is history here I think, I have not had this since changing dog foods over a year ago. This poo is red and sometimes spatters out, sometimes it is in pools -- not good at all.

There is cow patty poo, that is globs of semi solid ooze in circular piles. Not fun, and rare here.

And then there is mush poo. Mush poo looks kind of what you have there, not solid turds but somewhat formed. Mush poo comes in a variety of colors, from a pale yellow to a medium brown.

Streaked poo. Streaked poo comes in varieties as well, it is usually dark brown with darker streaks usually blood -- not the type of poop you want; you can also have medium brown with mucus streaks -- also not desireable.

Perfect Ten Poopie -- These are medium brown turds that are easily scraped into the pooper scooper. When pressed, they are solid. They do not leave a residue. They do not have any blood or mucus visible.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Sue's list of Poo Types:)) Can't help but laugh,,

I don't think it looks to bad :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I can't believe I am typing this, but that poo doesn't look so bad to me...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Husband-"Honey, whatcha ya doin?" Me- "Oh, just lookin at a picture of dog poo to determine if its normal or not." Husband- Silence. Turns around, exits room.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Husband-"Honey, whatcha ya doin?" Me- "Oh, just lookin at a picture of dog poo to determine if its normal or not." Husband- Silence. Turns around, exits room.

Thats exactly what happened except he shook his head while he was walking away :help:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Mine said you guys are bleeping gross and walked off disgusted,lol We just ate chinese food so maybe not the pic he was looking forward to seeing:D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
As a group, we're probably more preoccupied with poop than any other I've ever been part of...and that includes new mothers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:poop: The title alone forced me to open the page to compare your poop to my dogs poops. :poop: Somehow at one time or another, my conversations always turn to poop during the day. (I flipped the computer screen around just for the shock factor from my daughter, I can't figure out why she's surprised with as much poo as we have around here, duh)

Anyhow, poo looks pretty good to me, specially since my female's poop is currently shooting out of her butt like liquid. Gonna work on finding out what caused that... So your poo is definitely better than our poo :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well he just pooped again and it was a big mess of pudding thickness not formed at all... he just ate an hour ago too. Im hoping he is having a transition phase. This is awful.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1.5 cups sometimes just a little less and that is 3x a day. I am going to withhold food for 24 hours then do a bland diet of chicken and rice then start adding his food little by little. Ill also have them run another fecal tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts