German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got really frustrated the other day. Lara was overtired and we had a horrible walk. Lunging at cars, barking at her friend she was walking with, pulling me to no tomorrow, nipping at my pant legs...I was ranting and ranting, I stuck her in her crate, and what did she do? Cry and whine to be let out to go play...at almost midnight.I was so mad and talking about how she's been horrible lately and just a big ball of fuzzy stress.

But then an hour later it dawned on me

When was the last time something of mine was destroyed?

Never...

Wait, but this puppy didn't let me pet her for 2 months without putting holes in my hand

Somewhere down that road she grew to enjoy affection

And the rolling in the puddles, destroying my lovely, clean floors?

Oh wait, someone lets me towel her and do that blow drying thing now too without a fight.

But my face, oh god, how many times she tried to bite my nose...

I guess she even learned to like kisses..

I freaked out when I was in the bathroom putting on makeup the other day because it was eerily quiet.

Hi mom, just taking a nap!

Over all these weeks I complained about how she barks at new dogs and pulls on the leash to terrorize squirrels, but I guess I somehow overlooked all the wonderful things emerging in her personality, the lack of accidents in the house, the fact that she never touches my possessions roughly with her teeth.. So, here's a thanks to my lovely GSD for showing me that she really cares about me and being such a great puppy, I'm sorry I get mad at you sometimes, but you really are a lovely girl who I would hate to not have in my life

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Beautiful post :) We really do overlook the little things often don't we, thanks for the reminder :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Love this fuzzy baby and I know how you feel!

P.S. have not tried blow drying Z, but he is wet all the time...... he swims in his water dish, not sure if this is bad, but he loves water.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Great post.

I gripe about Joey's pulling and lunging at cars and barking at UPS, mailman, etc.

But then, I think about the belly rubs; how he doesn't chew anything in the house except his toys; never had an accident in the house; how good he is in the car, etc.

Have to look at the good and overlook (or try to fix) the bad.

Gorgeous dog by the way.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Great post! Just keep all of this in mind when Lara hits her teenage years. :D

Adorable pictures as always, I can't believe how big she's getting and I can't wait to see her adult coat when it's finished coming in. :wub:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wonderful story! Made me think in a good way so thank you very much for sharing with us! Beautiful puppy by the way :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
She is a beautiful puppy, and you two look just perfect together!

Thank you for the very positive post, and the reminder to be grateful for all the wonderful parts!!

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
You don't need to be telling or showing us--------tell her and show her that you love and appreciate her.

If you don't, there will come a day when you will wish you had----but then it will be too late.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Awww this story made me realize that I had posted on here several weeks ago how my gsd hardly wags his tail when i get home, boy do I get the treatment now. Tail is all over the place, ears way back, kisses lots of em and boy does he let me have it for being gone all day. I dont think Ive ever seen a more excited dog. i didnt realize it til I read your story, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It makes me realize how much I appreciate Lisl.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad you all appreciate it :D and as for this
You don't need to be telling or showing us--------tell her and show her that you love and appreciate her.

If you don't, there will come a day when you will wish you had----but then it will be too late.
I know I dont need to be telling you all or showing you guys, of course I show my dog, she is the important one, I just thought other people would appreciate it and maybe relate to the puppy days where they realized that things were coming along quite nicely :)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
"I got really frustrated the other day. Lara was overtired and we had a horrible walk. Lunging at cars, barking at her friend she was walking with, pulling me to no tomorrow, nipping at my pant legs...I was ranting and ranting, I stuck her in her crate, and what did she do? Cry and whine to be let out to go play...at almost midnight.I was so mad and talking about how she's been horrible lately and just a big ball of fuzzy stress."

Find a class , find a trainer , get some obedience or the experience above , repeated often enough , as the dog gets older turns into resentment. See this happen all the time . When the fun goes out of it the dog gets left behind -- or ends up in some rescue .

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"I got really frustrated the other day. Lara was overtired and we had a horrible walk. Lunging at cars, barking at her friend she was walking with, pulling me to no tomorrow, nipping at my pant legs...I was ranting and ranting, I stuck her in her crate, and what did she do? Cry and whine to be let out to go play...at almost midnight.I was so mad and talking about how she's been horrible lately and just a big ball of fuzzy stress."

Find a class , find a trainer , get some obedience or the experience above , repeated often enough , as the dog gets older turns into resentment. See this happen all the time . When the fun goes out of it the dog gets left behind -- or ends up in some rescue .
.... I think you didn't read the rest of the post, it's supposed to be a happy one, not one about how she's a 'naughty puppy' and needs training :( she goes to class every week as well.

I was just pointing out ONE day where I felt overwhelmed because I'm raising her by myself, and it was just one day where she was acting up and I let it get to me. I definitely don't resent her and i would NEVER stick her in a rescue. There are ups and downs and it's all part of the experience.

This was just a post talking about all her good things and me posting about how my mini rant on that one day was so dumb compared to how awesome she is..

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I think some of you missed the point entirely... I see outside of the forum how much love Lara gets and how much her owner works with her. Just read the post for what it is and stop being negative Nancy's. :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
This is a thread to save as a favorite. I sometimes tell Fiona she is getting on my last nerve. Usually because she needs to smell every drop of pee from every dog that ever lived. But it is good to be reminded she is good about 95% of the time and I need to not focus on the 5%. Same thing with Lara I bet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Mego----I know what you were saying. Just remember that whenever you get stressed or have a "horrible" walk/day whatever. After awhile, it will get harder and harder to even remember having a horrible day.

BTW---I grew up in Missouri.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts