German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a realator conpany called "Call Reality" in Spokane Wa that will not let me rent a house with a German Shepherd because they say this dog is on a list of vicious dogs and it's a liability for the company. There are so many nice places I cannot rent due to this. Anyone else have an issue similar?:mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad someone else feels the same about this type of situation. I felt this place was a good start on getting that realaors name out there, thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's got her beginner and intermediate obedience certificates, I will get the CGC here soon. She's almost 2 in May.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Something that was recommended to help with finding a rental that will accept your beast is a resume for her. In it include all of her training, and letters (with contact info) from respected people, her trainers, the vet, previous neighbors about how well behaved she is. When you come to a battle you better be prepared and I feel like having a resume for a pup is a very good weapon. :) I know there is more to add to the resume, but I can't remember...perhaps someone else will chime in.. {hint hint}

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Rental Agency's recommend restricting certain breeds but it is up to the owner of the property to determine whether or not to do that. In renting out my property through one I specified that dogs would be allowed upon approval. I also required a deposit for each dog BUT it was a refundable deposit.
Really, you have only your fellow dog owners to thank for these policies.

When I needed to rent 8 years ago, I came with photos of my dogs, references for my dogs & a good job. It was still not particularly easy. In the past, I have lived in some marginal places to be able to keep my dogs with me. I have lived outside of town & in shaky neighborhoods. Often, that's the way it is.

My solution? Buy a house!

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Rayden's resume included all of his training certificates, references from previous landlords, character references from vets/trainers/neighbors. If at all possible, arrange for them to meet your dog in person as well.

but, if that is the policy, then just look elsewhere because they aren't going to change it. I once contacted an apartment complex whose rules were beyond assanine. "No dogs with pointy ears (GSD in the family tree) and no dogs that were black/tan (rottie in the family tree" So, there policy was "no dogs that even look like mixes" because "rotties are the only dogs that come in black/tan" So I emailed her a picture of a coon hound along with a letter telling her why her policy was stupid. But, for them, it's a simple means of CYA.

Private landlords are the way to go for the most leniency. For many places, it's also a matter of insurance; many companies don't allow certain breeds and the landlord/management company would be sued as well as you. Would you risk losing that much money on someone else's accident???

my landlord is awesome; I swear we'll never move! We have 2 GSDs, a guinea pig, 3 rabbits and chickens. LOL plus, 5 years later, our rent is only $25 more than it was when we moved in! Of course, we are always on time, do most of our own maintenance(minor stuff), DH helped them re-roof the house, etc etc So, once you DO find a landlord that will work with you, don't screw it up! it makes it even harder for others to find a place

·
2,967 Posts
I agree. Private landloards are the way to go when you have pets. Check Craigslist, local classifieds for people who are self renting. We have always rented with our dogs, and have always had our choice of rentals. Sometimes it comes with a higher price tag...but it's never an option to rent anything that will not allow our dogs.

I've found that dog resumes are really only helpful if the landlord has the power to choose. In private rentals, someone who only says small dogs might take a larger well beahved dog on the power of a resume. Someone who says 1 dog might take multiple if they can see that you are a responsible pet owner. The offer of a hefty security deposit or the ability to show that you have the finiancial means to cover possible damage helps too. We're renting a house right now with 4 GSDs.

There's usually no way around major policies with larger companies. Those policies are usually tied in with their insurance and it's usually not personal. We see enough rants about stupid dog owners here on the board, for every awesome pet owner, there are usually a couple who are NOT. Can you imagine renting to someone who has a dog that pees everywhere, barks incessantly, bites the neighbors, and destroys the blinds and carpet in your property? Of course your dog wouldn't do that...but I'm sure that's what everyone says.

And whether we agree or not, whether it's justified or not, GSDs are usually on the list for dog bites. Who comes up with this stuff I don't know. I attribute the whole thing to ignorance, and getting our well behaved dogs out there and in public is a better way to combat public opinion than getting angry and ranting.

ETA- not that you necessarily were ranting...merely pointing out that too many people complain without actually trying to help the image of the dog and the pet owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts