German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wonderful 5 month old puppy is suddenly having a LOT of trouble in the house and Im pretty sure I know why. I have been in California, away from my true home for over a year now. A couple months ago my husband left to go back home to work. Four weeks ago I found out that my doctors have released me to go back home. So for the last four weeks I've been preparing to do so. The closer we get to move time, the worse Huter behaves. Move date is this Saturday and boy is he really starting to frustrate me. I know WHY he is acting this way, but I'm hoping some of you may have some good suggestions to help me. Here is what he's doing:

Outside of the home, he is still as wonderful as he's ever been. He has great recall on hikes, walks well on leash, minds his manners in stores or other peoples homes, gets along with other dogs etc... etc... etc... and minds me completely.

At home, he is being a little nightmare. He's jumping on furniture which is something he's never even attempted. He's obviously got way more anxiety and barks at me a lot to pay attention to him or tries to "herd" me when I'm walking by nipping my shoes. He's not really getting into things that he shouldnt be which is good. But he's just stopped listening. He still listens and obeys during our "trainings." But throughout the day he wont.

The worst is when I want him to come somewhere in the house with me. He just goes limp and bites me if I try to move him. He doesnt break skin, its gentle biting. But his stubbornness is unparalleled I cant lure him with treats or toys even most of the time. He just turns his head. His leash doesnt work, he just makes me drag him. When we have to go upstairs I get the other dog to come with me. Thats the ONLY way Huter will follow. Otherwise he goes limp and I cannot drag him upstairs. He full on flips out. He does this because he wants to stay downstairs with the family. When no one else is home, he does not usually behave like this. I know he knows something is up. He saw the boxes packed with our stuff on my bed. He jumped up on the bed (again, something hes NEVER done) and started biting the boxes and pulling all the stuff out.

Im exhausted trying to deal with him and get ready to move. I'm trying to keep his schedule as close to normal as possible. He still gets ALL of his walk/hike time as well as training and play with mommy time and he behaves during those times.

Do you guys think this is something that will just pass in a few weeks when we are settled and he feels secure again? Or should I be doing something? How can I get him to still obey? He's exhausting me and since he's 60lbs I cannot physically make him do much. (like go upstairs)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with you that Huter is reacting to the stress of the upcoming move. He is upset because he senses your tension, sees the boxes, and doesn't want to be either shipped out or left behind - that is what he is worried about - so he is clinging to you inside the house and the other dogs. If he can't get your attention all the time, he acts up to get it. I give you credit for keeping up his routine, because that is helping him. So if I were you, I would let the indoor misbehavior slide , because the more you make an issue of it, the worse he will get. I would yawn that is a calming signal and I wouldn't try to make him follow me. If he gets in the way with the boxes, I would crate him with a chew toy. I agree with you, once you all are settled in your new home, he will back to normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts