German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GS is just over a year old and is limping again. Her limping can last for like a week or more. She signals no pain and she just keeps her back leg up but will still try to jump. This is probably the 6th time since she was about 8 months old. Can your dog grow too fast from too much protein and cause growth pains or what? Her previous dog food made her sick a few weeks ago and now she's on a brand she likes but since limping again she doesn't touch it when given so it's like she gives in many many hours later because she's hungry. I do plan on getting x rays and a few other things done soon.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dog had that issue, but we knew exactly when he got hurt. He was jumping for a ball came down and cried for about 20 minutes. It was terrible. After that he would limp, but not cry. Then he could walk fine, but sometimes when he ran he would hold his hind leg up.

The first vet wanted to do surgery on his knee/ligament.. It realy didn't seen that bad to me. I took him to another vet and they agreed with the diagnosis, but said surgery was not needed. They normally will grow out of it and he did. I'm not sure if it's the same thing for your dog.

Knee Problems In Your Dog - Patellar Luxation - Luxating Patella

·
Registered
18 Posts
young dogs are very susceptible to soft tissue injuries when playing hard or slipping on tile and hardwood floors. My girl limped for months and i finally had to put her on exercise restriction meaning no running and never let her off leash for about a month and she has been fine ever since...it was very hard for me to do this as after a week or so she would seem better and then if i let her play and run she would just reinjure herself. It took the full month before she was good to go....hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts