German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: owners with health problems

Hello All! I have noticed that quite a few folks on the forum have mentioned that they have "health issues". I am wondering what impact an owner's health/mobility/ability to exercise their GSD has? The reason I ask is that I am a recently retired nurse, am in pretty good health, but due to knee arthritis and foot surgeries, I walk daily but could not run or speed through an agility course with my future shepherd. Are daily walks and sessions of fetch and flirt poles on a 30-50 foot line and indoor mind games, tug, etc. adequate? My first shepherd was very low-key for a shepherd, my second one loved mental stimulation and learning "stuff"! I am able to spend my time with my dogs, which I really enjoy.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
I am not exercising at all, at present. My blood pressure goes way up when I do. My dogs are all fine.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I have a fairly good sized backyard. My pup has set up her own speed/obstacle course for running there. When she feels the need to run flat out at top speed, she'll make 3 or 4 circuits. She's so fast!:) Also, we play "two ball" which is a good workout for the ball driven dog. She's gotten much faster so I have switched to kicking the balls (they're football shape with squeakers) rather than taking the time to hand retrieve each one for her. She loves it and I can kick them much further than throw.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
I'm arthritic also,my running days are over:)Playing fetch,and doing simple agility things on walks gives my dogs adequate exercise.They jump and climb over logs,go up and down steep hills,hunt and track,etc.I can walk at my own pace and be the coach:)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input! I have definitely decided on a low to moderate drive dog! I don't think that there is such a thing as a low energy shepherd, but my first one was close. Our second shepherd seemed to benefit more from mental stimulation rather than physical exercise. We may or may not have a fenced in yard, but those 30 foot lines are great! I have confidence in the breeder I was recommended and have chosen to help find me the right pup!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not exercising at all, at present. My blood pressure goes way up when I do. My dogs are all fine.
Are you receiving care for your blood pressure? Sorry you have been having blood pressure issues! Sometimes I feel like as I grow older, my body is betraying me! Like the old saying goes, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"! :/

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
If you get a puppy, there would be no reason to put a 30-50 foot line on it. A puppy isn't going to go anywhere. Of course you would want to leash in traffic, but many feel it is better to keep a dog off of manmade surfaces, especially a puppy. Take advantage of this to teach your puppy off leash manners so that when it grows older, it can have access to exercise, run, and jump off leash with nothing but low key walking on your part in appropriate areas.

A low drive dog does not equal a low energy dog.

Proper exercise and keeping your dog in good physical condition it just as important as feeding your dog a quality food. They are a part of responsible dog ownership.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I will never have a puppy because I just do not have the energy or stamina to keep up with one and it would not be fair to them. I imagine puppies have a greater chance of being adopted than an adult dog, anyway, and the adults are the ones that suit me.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you get a puppy, there would be no reason to put a 30-50 foot line on it. A puppy isn't going to go anywhere. Of course you would want to leash in traffic, but many feel it is better to keep a dog off of manmade surfaces, especially a puppy. Take advantage of this to teach your puppy off leash manners so that when it grows older, it can have access to exercise, run, and jump off leash with nothing but low key walking on your part in appropriate areas.

A low drive dog does not equal a low energy dog.

Proper exercise and keeping your dog in good physical condition it just as important as feeding your dog a quality food. They are a part of responsible dog ownership.
Yes, I think I mis-spoke re: low drive/low energy terminology! We live in the jungle in Costa Rica, where having a dog off-leash is not really safe. I keep our dogs on 6 foot leashes, and I was thinking of the long line for games of fetch, etc. I am a bit cautious in the jungle here - cane toads, fer de lance snakes, many tree dwelling snakes. Our neighbor lost her dog in 15 minutes after he decided to chase and mouth that big fat toad. Foaming, seizures, and dead. I like to hike a bit with long pants on, but would always want my dog on a line! :eek: A long line would let him run with some freedom.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Whether on a line or off leash, your dog would still be exposed to the same dangers.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I have a thyroid disease that really negatively impacts my energy levels, sometimes extreme exhaustion and chronic pain. I own 2 GSD's, one show/work cross who is very mellow in the house and one higher drive working line puppy. They are my reason for not falling into a depression and losing my sanity and better yet they get me up and moving everyday... I make use of a combo of training, biking and playing/flirt pole/fetch and soon treadmill since I am not able to walk/run for hours everyday. They are content happy dogs that lead good lives. :) There are days after I overdue it where I really can't do much but they are both perfectly content on these days to bum around the house with a bully stick or Kong.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm recovering from back surgery and some complications from that surgery. Some days I do good to make it to the back porch. I have a large fenced back yard and my boys run and play several times during the day.

I also have friends and family that the dogs love and they visit frequently to play fetch and such. (I don't let anyone else walk my dogs.) That has been a big help to me.

On my good days I make sure to give both some training because they enjoy it so much. My younger dog (18 months) does get antsy sometimes but overall they seem to be ok. Younger dog is pretty high energy, 3 year old is medium energy.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Are you receiving care for your blood pressure? Sorry you have been having blood pressure issues! Sometimes I feel like as I grow older, my body is betraying me! Like the old saying goes, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak"! :/
Yep, been on BP medicine for almost two weeks. Trying to get used to it and get the BP under control. Sometimes it is crazy when I come in from taking care of the dogs, sometimes it is ok. Sometimes it is crazy when I wake up in the morning. That's crazy. Who am I running around with in my sleep???

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Yep, been on BP medicine for almost two weeks. Trying to get used to it and get the BP under control. Sometimes it is crazy when I come in from taking care of the dogs, sometimes it is ok. Sometimes it is crazy when I wake up in the morning. That's crazy. Who am I running around with in my sleep???
Can we start a poll on that? :D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, blood pressure meds take awhile to regulate. One of the nurses I work with had a terrible time until her meds were finally correct! She would go from really high to bottoming out, and had to take time off work for awhile!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whether on a line or off leash, your dog would still be exposed to the same dangers.
Perhaps, but at least I keep my dogs from going way off trail! I would not be comfortable having to venture too far off trail after a dog! We hike along, but always look where we are stepping.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Perhaps, but at least I keep my dogs from going way off trail! I would not be comfortable having to venture too far off trail after a dog! We hike along, but always look where we are stepping.
What makes you think your dog would go so far off the trail? My dogs don't want to be where they can't see me.

True story: I tried to make a short video once on how you can't lose a German Shepherd and had to abandon my endeavor as the dog I was using wouldn't go away far enough for me to make the movie clip.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What makes you think your dog would go so far off the trail? My dogs don't want to be where they can't see me.

True story: I tried to make a short video once on how you can't lose a German Shepherd and had to abandon my endeavor as the dog I was using wouldn't go away far enough for me to make the movie clip.
That is great to hear! My dogs now like to run up the hill to the neighbor's cabina, which drives me crazy. My goal with my future shepherd will be a reliable recall!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
That is great to hear! My dogs now like to run up the hill to the neighbor's cabina, which drives me crazy. My goal with my future shepherd will be a reliable recall!
All my dogs have always have reliable recalls. It is very important to me so that they may have the freedom to run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts