German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sigh. i came home after a week away to find that kali is getting a yeast infection again. it seems like once a year we go through this. SHe gets acidophilus once a day, and we seemed to be doing so well. In any case, i will call the vet on monday, but does anyone have any other suggestions??
thanks

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
does she have any allergies that you are unaware of? Also, did she just get vaccinated? I have heard of some cases where the dog will get a yeast infection after being vaccinated and it would kind of make sense because your dog gets vaccinated yearly, just a thought.

i know this might sound crazy but i heard a while back about using equal parts of Vinegar and Alcohol to treat yeast infections in the ears. it also might help if she is eat grain-free foods- i don't know what you are currently feeding her-

I am no professional but those are just things I know off the top of my head from reading about yeast infections in the past.

Let us know how she makes out at the vet.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My pug use to get really bad yeast infections and anal glands. she was on Pro Plan dry. Once I switched her to Natural Balance she has been fine. I am feeding both her and Kai TWO now. The Black Forest one.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after all this i think i know what happened. i ran out of seacure, which is a protein powder that is supposed to help with leaky gut, right before i left. i did not think ti was really doing anything (ha) so i decided it could wait til i got back. So i got that ordered.... hopefully we can keep it under control until it gets back (not ears...it is in her ... well.. female sensitive spot.. poor girl)
perhaps one more reason to move her over to the raw diet

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she is on evo, so for the most part she does not really get any grains in her food. but i should probably cut out any treats with grain in them (with the puppy around we have some stuff that we usually did not have around the house).

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Well, darn, I thought maybe if you weren't on a grain-free food, that could be one thing that you could do.

If there isn't any type of immune system malfunction, Pau D'Arco is a great anti-fungal.

As for the puppy and the treats, maybe things that are oat based would work for both dogs? I know that the wheat and the corn are probably the worst. You might look and see if anything you are giving has brewer's yeast in it. That was Max's big trigger. And sugars -- I can't even feed him blueberries because of the sugar content

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Two treats with Barley in them will blow up Dante's ear

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it has alfalfa sprouts... i am going to get her back on the seacure and see if it goes away.. if not.. we will be of to changing her food and trying to avoid the potential problem ingredients.
in the meantime the bath seems to have helped with the irritation, so hopefully we can keep it at bay until it gets here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts