German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our Dog Ringo has a small problem. He likes to chase his tail. Been doing it since he was real young. (He is just over a year now) He chases his tail so much that it really becomes a problem. He has hurt himself 3 times now by doing this. This morning while he was playing with his kong full of peanut butter I got a chance to look at a spot right by his tail that is raw (red patches). HE has been chewing this and our other dog (tobi) is trying to lick this wound. We think he is trying to help Ringo heal it. Do German shepherds have problems with this area.

We were told by a vet that there is glands around there that can act up. This was with our last dog that has sadly left this world. Are GS's the same way. Is this a glandular problem or something else. It's not fleas or anything as he is not scratching at all anywhere. It's just this one patch he keeps biting and chewing at and I think this is why he chases his tail. Any ideas at all. ??

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
I have heard chasing the tail can be an obsessive thing. A sign that they are bored and not getting enough exercise and mental stimulation. If it is a gland thing the vet can rule that out or a possible hot spot.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd recommend a vet visit.

Could be a number of things - hotspot, anal gland issues, obsessive licking, etc. Best bet would be to find out what is causing the biting/licking and put a cone on him to let it heal.

The chasing tail thing is, IMO, not a good thing. It's a form of OCD and can be because he needs more exercise to settle. I've personally seen Katsu do it once and immediately corrected it, then played with her. She was on a strict "no exercise" order from her vet due to an injured ligament in her hock.

I've known dogs that have bit their tail off (damaged it then chewed until it had to be amputated).

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Possible "Hotspot".....what is that. ??
A hotspot is an area in the skin that becomes red and inflamed - very painful and often hair loss in the area. It is very itchey and can be from either just bacteria, or excessive licking from boredom or allergies causing bacteria and infection. Often can cleared up with antibiotics and something to stop the itching from the vet - vetricyin is also helpful and works if it is a hotspot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is certainly what it sounds like now that it has been explained to me what it is. Thank you. I will get him into a vet as soon as I can and see what they say. Thanks again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The obsessive and dangerous tail chasing is a serious problem that is common in GSD's when compared to most other breeds. It will continue to get worse and dogs are known to break their tails, chew it completely raw, and in some cases chew their tail off. Some vets have to amputate dogs tails with this issue. I have a neighbor with a female GSD that has this problem. She has now chewed all of the hair off the tail. You need to correct the dog anytime you see the tail chasing/chewing start. I would make sure the dog is getting plenty of mental and physical stimulation. I would see your vet to make sure its not something else. I doubt this is an anal gland issue. If it were a gland they would be scooting, licking the anal area, and you would smell a foul odor. Keep us posted please.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts