German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, if you think this fits better into another forum, please move.

I am looking for chewing alternatives for my ~7 month old GSD. I have been using pizzle/bully sticks, but they just don't last long enough.

So I thought that I'd investigate compressed rawhide. Problem is, all of the stores around here only have compressed rawhide from China. Then I went to the internet. I called one company to ask about the source of their rawhide and the CS rep told me that there aren't any plants in the US that make compressed rawhide. She said that most compressed rawhide chews from from South American, mostly from Brazil.

So, is Brazilian rawhide safe? Raw bones aren't a viable solution as I need something that my non-raw family/petsitters will tolerate too.

~Kristin

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
DO NOT GIVE ANY DOGS RAWHIDE!!!
They can not digest it. For chewing give your baby marrow bone that you can get at your butcher. If I can find the email my breeder sent me I will send it to you about one of her customers dogs that had to have surgery because the rawhide was lodged in her stomach

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rosa, great link--the local stores only carry really tiny antlers (3" long or so). They also have really good prices on bully sticks, so maybe I can do a combo of the two types of chews.

Which size do you buy for your GSDs?

~Kristin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts