German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you give rawhide Bones to your dogs ???

• Yes all the times !

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Sometimes , 1 a week

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • sometimes , but i dont like them much

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Never... this is really bad and dangerous for dogs

Votes: 28 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Considering how tough rawhide is and how bad it is for digestibility, puppies should not be given rawhide under any circumstances... not with developing digestive systems and their sensitivities.
I've had several puppies and they've all had rawhide with no digestive or accidents with getting them caught

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't take my vet's advise on anything 'nutritional', especially when the two vets I asked couldn't even tell me if dogs had digestive enzymes in their saliva. Veterinarians don't know everything, and this is coming from someone in the industry and has worked with them for years.
True, Veterinarians don't know everything; nobody does. Thankfully I have a Vet who is a critical thinker who has consistently provided me with well reasoned information. So her opinion on rawhides for dogs combined with my experience with rawhides is how I make my decision to give them to my dogs. Of course that could change as reality is dynamic.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I gave one to Bunny 2 nights ago and we've been dealing with extreme diarrhea for the past 24 hours so I don't think I'll be giving one to her again. Jazz seems just fine with them though. Neither dog ever has a chew without constant supervision.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was very apprehensive and hesitant about this also. I finally gave in. Make sure it is manufactured in USA. i get the retriever rolls and make sure they are 1 piece intact, nice even coil. Some bones have filler bits in the middle. You want a nice consistent rolls. i only give it to her when I can watch her. i buy the pricier good quality ones. So far so good.

I heard bully sticks are good. But they are pricey for the amount u get.

Again I swear by nylabones.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
We don't normally buy them but yesterday I saw 2 nice rawhide bones in the hardware store... made in USA .... One was knotted at both ends like a bone.... the other was a long rolled stick...

They were like a kid at christmas....

next morning they were nowhere to be found... yummy... LOL !

No Ill effects or stool change... I don't see a problem with them if they are straight rawhide.... I wouldn't give them anything pork or artificially flavored.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts