German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you give rawhide Bones to your dogs ???

• Yes all the times !

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Sometimes , 1 a week

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • sometimes , but i dont like them much

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Never... this is really bad and dangerous for dogs

Votes: 28 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I did not vote because I give them sometimes with supervision....never without supervision.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I never give rawhide in any form. The only bones my dogs get are raw meaty ones (evening meal each day) and beef knuckle bones for recreational chewing...

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I very rarley give rawhide- the only time Jackson gets it is if he's being supervised and it's maybe 1-2 times per year. However, I don't mind giving the little crunchy ones as a treat, those seem much less dangerous as they are ground, compacted pieces.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My view is 95% of the rawhide we get is made in China and South America, that means there is no regulation in the chemicals used or for that matter what kind of hide it is, we think of rawhide as being from cattle but it could very well be any kind of animal.
Am I right?

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I voted yes I give Rawhide chips when I'm home w/ them. I used them to help the dogs chill out prior to bedtime or at bedtime.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
My view is 95% of the rawhide we get is made in China and South America, that means there is no regulation in the chemicals used or for that matter what kind of hide it is, we think of rawhide as being from cattle but it could very well be any kind of animal.
Am I right?
Yeah, it is impossible to know the true quality of what you're getting ESPECIALLY from china. Dog owners should know by now never to feed anything from china.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
There are so many other better chews than rawhide... which is only approximately 80% digestible. Why feed rendered, overly processed cow hide when you can feed bully sticks, antlers, tendons... I cover a lot of options in my blog for anyone interested in reading. :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes but American Made only.

I have never had problems with rawhides and my dogs. The only thing I would possibly worry about is chips or sticks (not knotted or rolls) that could get caught in their throats if swallowed before soft.

I have to wonder where the statement that rawhide is not digestible came from because if it's not digestible you would see it in the poop and I have never seen any indication of rawhide in my dogs poop.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Yes but American Made only.

I have never had problems with rawhides and my dogs. The only thing I would possibly worry about is chips or sticks (not knotted or rolls) that could get caught in their throats if swallowed before soft.

I have to wonder where the statement that rawhide is not digestible came from because if it's not digestible you would see it in the poop and I have never seen any indication of rawhide in my dogs poop.
Danger Rawhide

·
Registered
705 Posts
When I want to get to the bottom of a debate I don't arbritarily believe everything I hear or read. I like to stick to the experts and use some common sense. Plus, I look for current data! The rawhide issue of toxic chemicals has been known for years so manufacturers who want to stay in business would logically find safer methods to process rawhides for our dogs consumption. If USA rawhides have stricter manufacturing laws then that is a reason to stick with USA rawhides.

The folklore that says rawhide isn't digestible doesn't ring true to me. That was the question I was pondering in my previous post. I've seen my dogs eat things that don't digest like socks and underwear oh my! And guess what?! It came out in the poop lucky for me and the dog!!! So where are all those undigested rawhides? Never have I seen even a piece of undigested rawhide in my dogs poop. So I am suspect of the statement

The only hazard I have experienced was a bitch of mine that would choke on pices that she did not chew well, so she was always monitored. My other dogs chew them up and have no problems.

Ask the Vet: Rawhides? | Lowcountry Dog
How about a Vets opinion that seems to be more tempered in that it mentions some dogs might not do well, that American rawhide is the way to go, and no where does the article say rawhide is not digestible. Food for thought.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Why would it not be hard on their stomach? It's animal hide, which is already made to be tough and weather the elements. Then you bleach it out, dehydrate it, and process the crap out of it. That just doesn't sound like something I'd want in my dogs stomachs. I know dogs that have choked on them and other dogs that have had blockages because of them. My dogs love raw bones and bully sticks so I figure why take the risk on rawhides? Plus, now that they've had raw bones they won't touch rawhides or nylabones :rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use them sometimes but under very close supervision since they tend to break off into pieces that they can eat. I use them as teething inhibition but after theyve grown from this stage, i give them other things and no rawhides. bully sticks are a good substitute.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
When I want to get to the bottom of a debate I don't arbritarily believe everything I hear or read. I like to stick to the experts and use some common sense. Plus, I look for current data! The rawhide issue of toxic chemicals has been known for years so manufacturers who want to stay in business would logically find safer methods to process rawhides for our dogs consumption. If USA rawhides have stricter manufacturing laws then that is a reason to stick with USA rawhides.

The folklore that says rawhide isn't digestible doesn't ring true to me. That was the question I was pondering in my previous post. I've seen my dogs eat things that don't digest like socks and underwear oh my! And guess what?! It came out in the poop lucky for me and the dog!!! So where are all those undigested rawhides? Never have I seen even a piece of undigested rawhide in my dogs poop. So I am suspect of the statement

The only hazard I have experienced was a bitch of mine that would choke on pices that she did not chew well, so she was always monitored. My other dogs chew them up and have no problems.

Ask the Vet: Rawhides? | Lowcountry Dog
How about a Vets opinion that seems to be more tempered in that it mentions some dogs might not do well, that American rawhide is the way to go, and no where does the article say rawhide is not digestible. Food for thought.

I don't take my vet's advise on anything 'nutritional', especially when the two vets I asked couldn't even tell me if dogs had digestive enzymes in their saliva. Veterinarians don't know everything, and this is coming from someone in the industry and has worked with them for years.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Yes, but under supervision. I find it really works great for teething puppies

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My mini doxie was sitting next to me on the couch chewing on a rawhide. I was reading a book. I felt her (before seeing/hearing) struggling, snatched her up as she begain to choke. A piece of rawhide was stuck on her very back teeth with the remaining of the rawhide going down her throat, choking her.

I was able to man handle her and work the peice off of her tooth, because she is so small, and it was so far back I was able to wedge her mouth open with my hand. Her automatic response and panic she was biting, but didn't break the skin.

If she had been laying on the floor, or had taken the peice and hid (from the other dogs) she would have choked to death. If it had been a big dog - I would not have been able to remove the rawhide (while they were in a panic) by myself.

I will NEVER feed anything rawhide. Even those little rawhide sticks. Bully sticks have never given me any grief, and they've never gotten stuck in any of the dog's teeth. I'll stick to the bully sticks.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Yes, but under supervision. I find it really works great for teething puppies
Considering how tough rawhide is and how bad it is for digestibility, puppies should not be given rawhide under any circumstances... not with developing digestive systems and their sensitivities.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I give Sasha rawhide bones (she's kind of funny about them though. I'll give her one; she'll take it and go put it in one of her spots and walk away from it and forget about it for weeks. Then all the sudden she'll be like, "Oh yeah, I have one of those!" Then she'll go to town on it for an hour or two and it's gone. ). She only has access to them when either I or a family member is home with her (as those are the only times she's out of her crate. I have only ever had one problem with them. One time a piece got stuck on the roof of her mouth. It wasn't a big deal, I popped her jaw open by grabbing her jaw toward the back, reached in with my other hand and dislodged it. Now I just watch her and when the pieces start to get too small I take them away. I only buy her ones made in America, but that goes for all eatable products I buy for her.

She also gets natural bones too, in fact right now she's munching on a deer antler.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts