German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wife and I got our handsome male GSD puppy last week and have been in heaven since. We were given the rec for a farm near us that also specializes in raw diets for animals. The gentleman who owns/operates it seems to have a wealth of knowledge and really cares for animals, including his own GSDs. He seems truly passionate.

That aside, my question is seeking the opinions of this forum on his products. Which do meet AAFCO standards and stamped as such.

I was suggested a performance blend for the pup stage but they have plenty of options for beef, chicken, duck, turkey, rabbit, etc etc. The blend we chose has: 8 oz patties
Crude Fat: min 15%
Crude Protein: min 22%
Crude Fiber: Max 2%
Moisture: Max 64%

I'm happy to post a picture of the blend and ingredients once I figure out how to do so. But how does this measure up in the realm of raw options for our pups? They have a loyal following for years and all of the dogs/families are very vocal on their pages.

He also gave me massive split knuckles and said to feed it to our boy once a week for the extra collagen, calcium, fat, and just plain fun.

Some fresh goats milk on top also.

We are new to raw and trying to figure out how to best do this. All raw? Split hard food and raw?
We are open to suggestions.

Right now he is 10 weeks and 21 lbs. Feeding him 7-10% bw a day.

How are we doing so far? Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Rawganics from Red Gate Farm in Lagrangeville, NY.

Thank you!

Oh...and our new boy's name is Lincoln and we'll throw up some pics soon. =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on the label, attached below.

The breeder also gave us a bag of the Iams he was being fed so the first few days we mixed his hard food in with the raw patties every meal.

I don't think we weened him to raw as methodically as we have been reading, but he is not throwing up, and his poop has been pretty solid and regimented 2-3x a day for the past week. My only reservation is that I don't think we've been feeding him enough, but we're working on that math.

Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts