German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone mix raw with kibble? I'd like to start mixing raw burger and chicken with nikos kibble but not sure if its safe that way.I'm trying to do away with the canned food.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been doing the Volhard diet which is a powder and raw beef. I choose to add kibble as well. She is 100% fine with this mix. Always just watch your dog when adjust the diet as you probably already know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nope i suggest you dont...raw food is digested diffrently then kibble..mixing them both causes confusion in your dogs digestive system...why dont you just feed raw 100%?..

·
Registered
723 Posts
I feed raw and kibble in the same meal. All three dogs do fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LeoRose, About how long have you been feeding like this? I'm not worried about upsetting his stomach (he's never had tummy issues with different food) I just didn't know about the bacteria issue some people talk about.He loves ground burger and chicken mixed with eggs.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
M puppy eats raw but I use kibble as treats and to lure into the cage. Shes had no issues but it may be because the evo kibble I use doesnt have alot of fillers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't buy the whole different digestion rates thing. Perhaps they do have different digestion rates but I don't think it's a problem if your dog is accustomed to it. I feed some meals all kibble, some meals raw/kibble mix, and some meals all raw. No trouble here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will also say though, when I mix kibble and raw, the raw is green tripe which is great for digestion since it has digestive juices, enzymes, and bacteria. My dog actually get some green tripe in most meals.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Mixing raw with kibble increases the chances of bloat, I understand. Admittedly, even tho I know the warning, I gave Fiona 2 swordfish steaks yesterday on top of her kibble leftover from breakfast. I thought she would just eat the fish, she ate some kibble too.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've been feeding like that for a couple of months now. I'm on another forum that has several raw feeders, who have researched it extensively, and they say that the "different digestion rates" and "feeding raw and kibble together is bad" warnings are pure speculation.

I'm feeding an almost 13 year old Rattie, a 3 year old mutt, and a 14 month old GSD this way, and none of them have ever had an upset tummy, loose stools, or any other evidence of gastric problems.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I wonder how all the strays survive without those regular meals, living from garbage cans and scraps. Are our dogs that far gone that they cant have kibble and raw? Give me a break!
Seriously how did all those dogs thrive when all we knew was that Royal Canine was the best food to get out there...
How did our dogs survie before there was kibble, when all they got were scraps and left overs...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been feeding like that for a couple of months now. I'm on another forum that has several raw feeders, who have researched it extensively, and they say that the "different digestion rates" and "feeding raw and kibble together is bad" warnings are pure speculation.

I'm feeding an almost 13 year old Rattie, a 3 year old mutt, and a 14 month old GSD this way, and none of them have ever had an upset tummy, loose stools, or any other evidence of gastric problems.
I am a member of several other forms as well. Yes, I've probably read the same threads as you. The hard core raw feeders usually say not to mix because you will have gastric problems (as you mentioned) but then somebody always chimes in to say they've never had a problem with their dogs. My opinion, if you're dog can tolerate it without any apparent gastric problems then you are fine. The only time I mix raw with kibble is when I use green tripe (from lamb or beef). I think green tripe is probably the greatest raw gift you can feed your dog. It seems to help with digesting kibble. I never have stool problems with my dogs, but based on "poop charts" I've seen, I'd give my dogs about a B+ or A- on plain kibble. I'd give an A+ when topping the kibble with about 1/4 lb of green tripe. And, on the weekends when I feed 100% raw which includes 30% green tripe, I'd give the poop an A++. Only because it's a smaller amount of poo.

I use Carmen's Feed-sentials and Sunday sundae with every meal. I'm sure that helps too.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've been feeding raw meat (rabbit, beef, chicken, kangaroo ox heart and liver) mixed with kibble for years and the dogs are doing great :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
What would cause a greater chance of bloat just by feeding kibble and raw?? Im not quite understanding that. I thought bloat was caused by gulping air and eating too fast??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts