German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any raw vegetables that are not good for dogs? I cook a lot with veggies and seems I am always chopping something up and occasionally a few pieces end up on the floor. He's had carrots (which I give as a treat once in awhile), pieces of green pepper, small chunks of potato (no skin), lettuce, tiny pieces of celery, tomato and cucumber.

I've monitored him after eating to see if it caused any digestive problems and none that I've noticed. But I want to make sure that it's ok for him to have the occasional veggie. I know they're good for us humans, but do they work the same for dogs? What about fruits?

Thank you!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know that dogs can't eat onions it is like eating little chunks of plastic for their digestive system. I don't think dogs can digest corn very well either. A fruit they can't have is grapes. And of course no chocolate because it can kill them.

I am not sure if I got all the no no's but hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Onions, leeks and such should not be given. These kind of plants can cause anaemia. Corn, like potatoe is a no-no. Both contain massive amounts of carbs, and many dogs get an allergic reaction to corn. What is safe / good for dogs? Green, leafy vegetables. Also stuff like watercress and spinach. But, as a dog does not have the long digestive tract (as e.g. a cow), it is always better to really mash the veggies. You can then store the portions in a freezer. Celery, tomato and peppers are fine.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
And about the grapes: it;s the pips in grapes that are not healthy. If you buy grapes without the pips, you can feed them (we now have beautiful pipeless grapes here in Europe). I feed some fruit now and then, more as a treat. My GSD loves a banana. She gets 1 or 2 pieces of fresh fruit a week.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Really *any* veggie can be good for them as long as not in excess and as long as it does not fill them and cause them not to eattheir regular meals. Two things that are important here are that dogs cannot digest the cell wall of plants so, if you want to feed them raw veggies process them up in a food processor. The best thing is to cook them however as they would get more from them.

Onions and things in that family can cause Heinz body anemia but it does take quite a volume to do this.

No, corn is not going to harm them or any better or any worse than another veggie given. But, without cooking just like any grain or veggie will be difficult to digest just due to their biology.

I do not tend to give raw veggies as it is really just fiber. I give cooked and processed veggies
This they can digest and get vitamins etc from.

Cherri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts