German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I apologize as I wasn't sure where to put this. The raw section? The food section? The puppy section?

So I currently have Olivia on about 3 cups a day of Orijen Large Breed Puppy (6 months old, pretty active) and wanted to know if there was any recommendations on a "raw snack."

She is an ideal weight (bit on the thinner side) so something additional won't mess with her weight hardly at all.

I feel like she gets bored and I'd like to add a little something as a mid day snack. Just so she has something to do.

I'm looking more in the chicken-beef department for a snack. My thoughts are something that is going to last at least 1 hour preferably, and have a good chunk of meat and some bone.

Anyone know of anything that would be good for her?

(Not interested in debating on kibble + raw)

Hope my question was clear!

Thanks,

-Alyssa

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
there is no snack that is raw that is chicken or beef that is going to last an hour

my guys can finish a whole stewing hen in about 5 to 10 minutes - crunch crunch , gone.

that is one old bird for each dog . The same goes for pigs trotters .

boredom is remedied with exercise -- a walk , training

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Under supervision my dogs have had large bison knuckles to gnaw on. I let them chew the meat and cartilage off and then toss the remaining bone. (Cause my weirdo dog is allergic to beef but not bison)They lasted Bud about 40 mins, Shadow could chew on one for days, Sabi was somewhere in the middle. But I would never give the dogs raw food unattended, and you need to take the actual bone away as it could cause tooth damage. Sabi would leave them on her own once just the bone was left, Bud not so much and his teeth were horrible enough as it was.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is no snack that is raw that is chicken or beef that is going to last an hour

my guys can finish a whole stewing hen in about 5 to 10 minutes - crunch crunch , gone.

that is one old bird for each dog . The same goes for pigs trotters .

boredom is remedied with exercise -- a walk , training

She gets more then enough exercise between her long walk (filled with training) and her brother constantly playing with her. If she had anymore I'd worry about her hips and joints.

She gets physically tired by mid day (she's in a growth spurt so sleeping a lot), but she needs something to get her mind exercised. We do plenty of training and have gotten to the point of repetition in our training because she has learned all her exercises (for class.)

I guess I was just hopping there was something out there that would last at least more then a few minutes (1 hour was a long shot but I figured I'd ask.) She does get regular bones which last her quite awhile 1-2 hours so that was mostly the reasoning behind that. Her bones just don't have anything except a tiny bit of meat.

I guess I'll give her a few chicken necks here and there or maybe a thigh? If she gets her bone and then a neck i'm sure that would serve my what i'm looking for. Guess I should really get out there and just see what the butcher has for her.

On a side note that's crazy how fast they can eat a whole hen?

I guess my dogs might just be slow eaters when it comes to bones and necks etc. When they got their 6 inch trachea (beef I think, it came with barkbox.) It took Murdoc (full grown hound mix) a good 15 minutes and another 5 to clean up, and it was only a 3 inch piece because they had to share. Olivia took a bit longer since she still had baby teeth so a good 30+ minutes until Murdoc took it when she got bored.

Whimzees take forever for them to (just spendy for their size) Murdoc with the biggest one takes a good 45 minutes and Olivia takes longer (Medium size) at about 1 hour or more (or until Murdoc takes it.)

Thanks so much for the advice!

-Alyssa

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under supervision my dogs have had large bison knuckles to gnaw on. I let them chew the meat and cartilage off and then toss the remaining bone. (Cause my weirdo dog is allergic to beef but not bison)They lasted Bud about 40 mins, Shadow could chew on one for days, Sabi was somewhere in the middle. But I would never give the dogs raw food unattended, and you need to take the actual bone away as it could cause tooth damage. Sabi would leave them on her own once just the bone was left, Bud not so much and his teeth were horrible enough as it was.

So would a beef knuckle serve the same purpose then? I can try to get a bison one but don't know if our butcher carries them. That's awesome to know that's an option as I bet she would love that! Olivia (and her brother) both don't mess with bones once their done, so i'm not to worried about tooth damage (at this point, if they mess to much with them I will.)

I supervise as much as I can (kinda paranoid about choking) with their current bones they get. I will for sure be looking into a knuckle though, I can foresee that taking both dogs at least 1 whole day to finish which would be lovely.

Thanks so much for the advice!!!

-Alyssa

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
So would a beef knuckle serve the same purpose then? I can try to get a bison one but don't know if our butcher carries them. That's awesome to know that's an option as I bet she would love that! Olivia (and her brother) both don't mess with bones once their done, so i'm not to worried about tooth damage (at this point, if they mess to much with them I will.)

I supervise as much as I can (kinda paranoid about choking) with their current bones they get. I will for sure be looking into a knuckle though, I can foresee that taking both dogs at least 1 whole day to finish which would be lovely.

Thanks so much for the advice!!!

-Alyssa
Any large animal knuckle bone would work, make sure there is a good amount of meat left and my suggestion is outside or on a towel. Don't let them get working on the actual bone as these bones are hard, and hard on those pearly white chompers. Shadows I give for a while and then grab it up in a plastic bag and toss in the fridge or freezer until next time. It keeps them occupied so I used to give them while I was mowing and stuff. Check periodically while they are chewing. Bud would get to the actual bone fairly quickly and start gnawing gouges in it.
If you want even more use out of it, rinse it off when they are done and boil it for a few hours. Broth is much appreciated by the dogs.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
To add to what Carmen was saying, I have been off work for almost 6 months and I largely ignore Shadow for a good chunk of the day, in fact I often crate her for a few hours. She can lay in the house with me or she can lay outside on her own(watched of course) but I take pains to NOT entertain her 24/7. She still gets the roughly 4 hours a day that have always been hers. She still sleeps with me at night and she is certainly free to be near me when I am here, but she may NOT interrupt me or beg to be amused.
I think we create issues by constantly entertaining puppies and new dogs. It cannot be sustained indefinitely and it is important for them to understand that they need to go lay down or amuse themselves in acceptable ways.
Understand that by nature dogs don't get bored. When nothing is happening they ought to be resting for the next round. WE create these monsters that must be doing stuff every second.
Shadow is nervous and over active by nature. When she refuses to settle it is because I, ME, over stimulated her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts