German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has Rotties and on a Rottie blog someone was talking about feeding 'raw prey model' which means this individual raises rabbits and gives them to her dogs alive so they have the experience of chasing, killing and eating their food. And when someone asked if she did that every meal, she responded "EVERY FREAKIN TIME." Do people really do this? Seems a bit extreme to me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I do something like that but I feed tiny neighborhood children to my dog. Pfffffffffft yeah that's extreme, the lady is a nut case.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Gross...do you realize how many rabbits she'd have to have in order to feed a dog that size? That is just gross on many different levels.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
individual raises rabbits and gives them to her dogs alive so they have the experience of chasing, killing and eating their food. And when someone asked if she did that every meal, she responded "EVERY FREAKIN TIME." Do people really do this? Seems a bit extreme to me.
I wouldn't trust the dog around any small animal or human baby. That's just nuts.

·
Registered
253 Posts
BTW, not everyone that uses the prey model gives live animals. Most of the people I know who refer to their raw feeding as the "prey model" give already dead, whole carcasses.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
BTW, not everyone that uses the prey model gives live animals. Most of the people I know who refer to their raw feeding as the "prey model" give already dead, whole carcasses.
OR they create whole carcasses using bits and pieces of different protein sources to "make an whole prey animal" that the dog/cat would catch in the wild.

I feed my cats using the prey model way of raw. They are given (usually) whole prey animals such as chicks, baby rabbits, phesant, etc.. I sometimes cut those in half and give other sources of protein such as ground beef, ground turkey, etc. though.

I do not feed my dog this way and I do not feed live animals. The only "live animals" they get are flies they catch in the summer on my screen...lol.

My dog is fed raw but I measure out his meals using the 50%RBM, 45%MM, 5%OM method.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly have never heard of such a thing. I don't mind the occasional squirrel, rabbit, mouse etc that mine kill but geez that sounds nuts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
A friend of mine has Rotties and on a Rottie blog someone was talking about feeding 'raw prey model' which means this individual raises rabbits and gives them to her dogs alive so they have the experience of chasing, killing and eating their food. And when someone asked if she did that every meal, she responded "EVERY FREAKIN TIME." Do people really do this? Seems a bit extreme to me.
Wow. Not something I would want to condition my dog for, especially if I live in a rural area where livestock are raised, and I do.

·
2,967 Posts
I've heard of a number of people who raise small animals for consumption by their dogs. Mostly Rabbits and Chickens. The animals are killed and cleaned first (No feathers!) and then fed to the dogs.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can see raising animals to feed to the dogs, but tossing them in live...gives me the creeps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn't trust the dog around any small animal or human baby. That's just nuts.
I thought animal aggression doesn't translate into human aggression, has some new research popped up I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I feed prey model raw, including whole rabbit, and let me assure that NOTHING my dogs get is ever offered alive.

Dogs, on the general whole, are very sloppy and inefficient killers. Certain sighthound breeds aside (who have basically been bred for this from day one) have largely not been cultivated to be "good" at taking down live prey. Again, they are sloppy, and generally, the target is going to suffer quite a bit before finally being killed and eaten.

Its because of this that I find such a practice to be extremely cruel to the feeder animal.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Like someone already said "I wouldn't trust that dog around children or other people"
So question for you...

Dogs that lure course, which relies on the dogs natural prey instinct to chase, catch and "kill" would be considered a liability in your eyes as well?

I don't see how feeding live animals would translate to humans or other members of the canine world?

My dog is NUTSO for squirrels and rabbits (live) would kill one for sure if he was allowed to catch them and I have no issues letting him run around with his 4lbs Chi friend or live in my house with my cats (as well as fosters).

Just don't understand when people (not just you, people in general) make comments like this. They are ANIMALS first and foremost, or are we all forgetting that?

·
Registered
445 Posts
My dog has HIGH prey drive. I mean so high he thinks shadows and bushes in the dark are prey. Will bark at them and ready to go after them. SAME Thing with kids. He sees a child running and wants to go after them. He obviously sees them as prey so NO, I would not trust him around small children. Are we forgetting that a dog can also see a child as prey if they are not socialized around them? Who's to say this woman has socialized her dog around children. Good for her if she has!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Oh, and yes, obviously my dog was not socialized around children as a pup otherwise he would probably like kids. The owner even told me Apollo, the one in my avatar pic, was never around kids so he didn't know how he would behave around them.

My pup Riley though, he loves everyone that will give him a good rub! lol

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My dog has HIGH prey drive. I mean so high he thinks shadows and bushes in the dark are prey. Will bark at them and ready to go after them. SAME Thing with kids. He sees a child running and wants to go after them. He obviously sees them as prey so NO, I would not trust him around small children. Are we forgetting that a dog can also see a child as prey if they are not socialized around them? Who's to say this woman has socialized her dog around children. Good for her if she has!
I think most GSD's on this board would fall into the category of "high prey drive" amoung other atributes but what you are saying with your dog seems like a training issue.

I am not forgetting that a dog can see a child, adult, bike, cat, squirrel, leaf, bag blowing in the wind, sock on a rope, ball on a rope, tug as prey... it's about teaching your dog what is appropriate and what is "free game".

Socializing your dog with EVERYTHING under the sun is key and playing games that teach impulse control and focus (on the handler) is important/vital.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with Elizabeth regarding my dogs killing small mammals that run around our property- I have no problem with them doing that- and I don't think that translates into aggression; however, the idea of dropping live animals into a pen [or however she does it] for their dinner just seems ghastly and rather unnecessary.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts