German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that my stressful weekend is over. I am researching raw. I don't have much room in my freezer and I don't really have any room to add another freezer not right now at least. So I'm thinking about either doing raw 1 day a week and then incorporating raw snacks. Any advice? Good idea? Bad idea? Should I just wait until I do have more freezer space and then go full on raw?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just a thought. You could always pick up a dehydrated base mix like the honest kitchen or sojos.

The honest kitchen is completely human grade diet. They have full diets and mixes you add your own meat and water to. Here's the ingredients to one of their base mixes:

INGREDIENTS
All ingredients dehydrated: Sweet potatoes, peas, cabbage, organic coconut, apples, spinach, pumpkin, bananas, celery, organic kelp, organic honey, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino

It's dehydrated so shelf stable, and dehydrating preserves nutrients better then the kibble making process or canning.

You could easily pick up some cheap meat while doing your regular grocery shopping. 3 packets of chicken gizzards and hearts, 1 pack of chicken liver, and 2 cans of mackerel, a dozen eggs, and maybe 1 pack of a cheap beef. And I'd grab some live culture yogurt too. Be about 15 bucks a week and takes up a small amount of space in the fridge. So not too bad even though you cant take advantage of bulk deals. Oh and a jar of coconut oil. Give a recreational bone or some fun chews like chicken feet a few times a week - happy healthy pups.

You'd be miles ahead nutrition wise then kibble and get a lot of the benefits of raw. Might be a good compromise until you are ready for full out raw.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i see you're in dallas, you could also get some of the blends from texas tripe that have the bone and organ added . They do a weekly drop off at a few places or more drop offs monthly

·
Super Moderator
5,628 Posts
i see you're in dallas, you could also get some of the blends from texas tripe that have the bone and organ added . They do a weekly drop off at a few places or more drop offs monthly

I order from Texas Tripe as well. Good stuff!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm so thrilled you started this thread MMcoy! I'm looking for the same information as I can't do full time raw.

My question is...if we incorporate raw while also feeding kibble are we simply adding raw to each meal of kibble or replacing a whole kibble meal with a raw meal?

I think I could handle getting everything voodoolamb listed! We have also been looking at some of the premade stuff like Honest Kitchen. Just curious on how to implement them with the kibble.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
you can do either or. Some days my male gets raw dinner instead of kibble, sometimes he gets some meat with his kibble. Some dogs get upset stomachs when you mix kibble and raw together, most dont.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you can do either or. Some days my male gets raw dinner instead of kibble, sometimes he gets some meat with his kibble. Some dogs get upset stomachs when you mix kibble and raw together, most dont.
Wonderful! Thank you! I have a little time as my pup isn't going to be home until Aug 1 but am the research type and want to get everything in order before and food is at the top of the list. I guess I'm "nesting" :grin2:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I don't think its a matter of the dog handling both so much as the rate for digestion is different. I would imagine that if a dog eats 2x a day and let's say didn't digest the meal from the night before it would feel pretty heavy on the stomach, probably not a good feeling.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Voodoo lamb gave you great suggestion to get started. We have been feeding the Fromm grainfree four star recipe which I'm very happy with. I have been adding either primal freeze dried, proper toppers, yogurt, eggs, sardines as a Topper- he loves this stuff. He eats twice a day so I have been recently feeding about twice sometimes three times a week for his evening meal-raw which he has been loving. I was adding raw meat to the primal pronto which he was eating the primal pronto and becoming not to crazy about primal pronto. He loves the primal freeze dried but very expensive and only use as a topper to the Fromm dry food. So now I add the raw to the honest kitchen kindly base mix. Not well versed in raw and my way of doing a smaller compromise. Max has a strong stomach and has had no loose stools at all doing this way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Voodoo lamb gave you great suggestion to get started. We have been feeding the Fromm grainfree four star recipe which I'm very happy with. I have been adding either primal freeze dried, proper toppers, yogurt, eggs, sardines as a Topper- he loves this stuff. He eats twice a day so I have been recently feeding about twice sometimes three times a week for his evening meal-raw which he has been loving. I was adding raw meat to the primal pronto which he was eating the primal pronto and becoming not to crazy about primal pronto. He loves the primal freeze dried but very expensive and only use as a topper to the Fromm dry food. So now I add the raw to the honest kitchen kindly base mix. Not well versed in raw and my way of doing a smaller compromise. Max has a strong stomach and has had no loose stools at all doing this way.
What yogurt do you use? I personally hate yogurt (texture) so I have never paid attention to brands/ what is healthy :laugh2:

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Any Plain yogurt with live active bacteria and no added sugars and no artificial sweeteners. I heard kefir is really good have not used it yet as we often have yogurt in the house. I have seen some recipes for healthy frozen yogurt snacks I have been planning to try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts