German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again for seasonal allergies so I thought I would update on Jax's progress. Two years ago, Jax developed allergies complete with a dull coat, chewing and itching. We suffered thru the first summer, knew it was seasonal with the first hard freeze. The next year it started just as bad as it ended. Benadryl didn't touch it, Claritin barely had it under control. So I looked and researched her alternatives....and found HONEY. How simple is that, right? It worked beautifully last year and when I tested it by taking her off the honey, her itchies came back immediately.

I started her on honey about a month ago and so far no itching. I give her 1 tsp of honey from a local beekeeper per day. Her coat is looking good, she is not scratching and chewing.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What a great idea. Now I need to find a local beekeeper. I'll check out a Farmer's Market this weekend.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Thanks for the reminder.
I found some killer orange and wildflower honey at a local farmer's market.
Going to add some to the side of his bowl tonight :D

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I hate to break it to you Pooky but I did test whether the honey was working last year. I took her off it and she started digging and chewing again. I put her back on it and she stopped. Other people have seen the same results. It's obviously not a placebo affect as the dogs have no idea what the honey is for. And I can find just as many NOT peer reviewed articles stating honey does work. There are no official studies on it.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 tsp with each meal or per day? I need to try this with Loki- he has terrible seasonal allergies.
1 tsp per day. Find a beekeeper or farmer's market that has local, unpasteurized honey

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a balanced article with a couple of study (one for and one against)

Can Eating Local Honey Cure Allergies?

Take it for what it's worth. It worked for Jax. Worked for some friend's dogs and worked for a few people on here. Some people it didn't work for. but it certainly doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I have also heard great things about local honey for dogs with allergies. I really don't need a study saying it works because of hearing of results like this.

I use it in my tea and recently I made a new treat for Mikko:
Yogurt, pureed blueberries, strawberries and bananas, coconut oil, and local honey! I portioned it into ice cube trays. I think it's delicious too :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I love raw local honey! I give Berlin some almost everyday- he doesn't have allergies, but this is his first summer. He loves it though, will lick it right off the spoon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
377 Posts
I hate to break it to you Pooky but I did test whether the honey was working last year. I took her off it and she started digging and chewing again. I put her back on it and she stopped. Other people have seen the same results. It's obviously not a placebo affect as the dogs have no idea what the honey is for. And I can find just as many NOT peer reviewed articles stating honey does work. There are no official studies on it.
Thank you for breaking it to me. I have bad allergies and when I heard about honey I looked it up and found the above. I am glad that it works for you and maybe should try it for myself.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for breaking it to me. I have bad allergies and when I heard about honey I looked it up and found the above. I am glad that it works for you and maybe should try it for myself.
I don't have allergies. My dog does...and it works for her as I stated above.

So you have not tried it for yourself? Or did you just find those links and dismiss it? If not, why not try it?

·
Banned
377 Posts
I don't have allergies. My dog does...and it works for her as I stated above.

So you have not tried it for yourself? Or did you just find those links and dismiss it? If not, why not try it?
I did see that it is your dog that has allergies.
After reading all of the (so-called) medical experts debunking the concept I did dismiss it as a myth. I have gotten SO many emails about this cure and that cure that I have become jaded regarding things that seem too good to be true. Again, I am glad that it works for your dog. If I can find a local source I will give it a try. I do use honey on a daily basis but it's just the store-bought stuff, so I might as well try the kind that might alleviate my allergy symptoms (since they are life-threatening).

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I know my friend recommends it to her clients as well (some at least) and it has worked for many.

Mine don't have allergies so I can not 'test' the theory myself, but from what I have heard from others and from my friend (who is a nutritionist) it works!

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
\ I do use honey on a daily basis but it's just the store-bought stuff, so I might as well try the kind that might alleviate my allergy symptoms (since they are life-threatening).
life threatening as in anaphylactic shock if you are exposed? I don't know about people, just my own personal dog, but the people I buy from (one is a RN at the local hospital) gave me good reports how it's helped people they sell too.

·
Banned
377 Posts
life threatening as in anaphylactic shock if you are exposed? I don't know about people, just my own personal dog, but the people I buy from (one is a RN at the local hospital) gave me good reports how it's helped people they sell too.
I keep an inhaler handy. Too much pollen can block my ability to breathe. Antihistamines help to reduce symptoms. Hope to locate some local raw honey to give it a try.

·
Registered
27,278 Posts
I have also heard great things about local honey for dogs with allergies. I really don't need a study saying it works because of hearing of results like this.

I use it in my tea and recently I made a new treat for Mikko:
Yogurt, pureed blueberries, strawberries and bananas, coconut oil, and local honey! I portioned it into ice cube trays. I think it's delicious too :)
Great idea! I think I'll brew up a batch. I've never had allergies or pollen sensitivity, but the past few days, I think I'm developing them.

·
Registered
32,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I keep an inhaler handy. Too much pollen can block my ability to breathe. Antihistamines help to reduce symptoms. Hope to locate some local raw honey to give it a try.
then make sure you take a very small amount to try it the first time! Any farmer's market should have some.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Michelle & I have exchanged several PM's on this very topic:)

Rusty suffers from environmental Fall allergies. Last year we tried local raw honey...after 10 days we started to see results. Within a couple of weeks we no longer gave Benadryl. To be honest I was surprised it worked so well. We survived the season, the season before he was a mess.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts