German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 9 month old German Shepard named Ava. Shes is very loving and playful and all aroud a great dog. I need help on what to feed her everytime I go to the vet of a pet store the push whatever they want not caring for the dogs itsself. Please if anyone can recommend a Commerical dog food or even explain how to make home made food it would be amazing. So I dont know should i feed her commerical dog food or raw diet.....

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Some good commercial dog foods:

Blue Buffalo (can be found at Petco, Petsmart, and some feed stores)
California Natural
Wellness (Petco, PetSmart)
Innova
Orijen
Canidae
Natural Balance (Petco I believe)
4Health (Tractor Supply)
Solid Gold (Petco)
Taste of the Wild (Tractor Supply)

Not-so-good commercial dog foods:
Beneful
Purina
Pedigree
Kibbles-N-Bits
Ol' Roy (shudder)
Retriever

There are lots more but those are the ones I could come up with off the top of my head.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I feed Nature's Variety Instinct kibble- it's grain free, they also make raw diets that are frozen or freeze dried.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Beneful
Purina
Pedigree
Kibbles-N-Bits
Ol' Roy (shudder)
Retriever
.......in addition, id say a good rule of thumb is if its sold at a grocery store or vets office its a very low quality food. (this is not to say if its not in a grocery store, its good......petco, petmart, etc..still sell some garbage that tries to pass itself odd as "premium")

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some good commercial dog foods:

Blue Buffalo (can be found at Petco, Petsmart, and some feed stores)
California Natural
Wellness (Petco, PetSmart)
Innova
Orijen
Canidae
Natural Balance (Petco I believe)
4Health (Tractor Supply)
Solid Gold (Petco)
Taste of the Wild (Tractor Supply)

Beneful
Purina
Pedigree
Kibbles-N-Bits
Ol' Roy (shudder)
Retriever

There are lots more but those are the ones I could come up with off the top of my head.

Every1 tells me Blue Buffalo is a great food and I have been feeding her raw ground beef for treats so I think thats what I am going to go with I was just soooooo worried about giving her raw meat for treats.:confused: I have both my dogs on Purina Dog Chow and every1 says its no good. Thanks to everyone for your advise.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Purina is one of the worst commercial diets out there. Not just opinion, but if you look at the ingredients. Lots of grains and the little meat that they put in that food is very low quality. Not a diet that you want to feed a carnivore.

Blue Buffalo is a solid brand along with a list that Emoore provided in her above post.

Here's a good website to steer you in the right direction: Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I feed a raw diet. I buy a commercial raw diet. I know there are a few different ones out there now.

Oma's Pride Home

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I feed my 8 month old (8 months 23rd) TOTW in the AM and raw diet in the afternoon. I do both! I highly recommend raw it does wonders for there coat and there over all well being. You can read lots about online and there are a bunch of helpful sites if you just google. Also look for a good butcher in your area where you can go get raw suppies. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just make sure you do a slow transition or they will get diarrhea. Blue is rich and that will be a huge change from purina.

I feed them the blue mix with thee purina and im gonna do that lil by lil till the purina runs out but both my shepard and my papillon mix love it. I'm very happy i got it I feed the shepard raw ground beef balls for treats so hopefully I am doin it rite.:D

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There is also some very good information in the RAW Section of this forum (sorry for leaving that out earlier - I hope I did not offend anyone by not mentioning that when I pointed to a couple of websites).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts