German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Carma was bred during the last week of March, and has been on a raw diet for the majority of her life. I have read about the concerns of too much calcium for a pregnant female, and she mostly has been eating a beef/tripe blend or 80/20 beef/fat blend. Other than chicken necks/backs and turkey necks, she had also been eating a beef/liver/organ/tripe blend up until the breedings were done. We're going in for an ultrasound in a week and a half or so, but I want to make sure she's getting enough of what she needs, and would consider supplementing with kibble if necessary. Any suggestions from those who have any experience with this?

And a picture, for good measure :)

4/12/15 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
I don't really change the diet of my females when pregnant except to be careful how much liver is fed in the first part of the pregnancy (too much vit A can cause certain birth defects), NO cod live oil (if you use it, I don't) and to decrease the bone in the latter part (so the bitch's body will draw on her own calcium reserves during whelping). Once they start to whelp then you can make sure they get other sources of calcium (there are many sources from ice-cream to tums to calsorb, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
There is a really good group on FB with some excellent files to read that I highly recommend joining. Canine Fertility, Reproduction and Neonatal Issues. I can add you if you would like.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
HMMMMM It won't let me. I was able to do it before and then they just had to approve the new member. Just do a search for the group. The information in the files alone is worth belonging.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I can't help you with feeding, but I wanted to congratulate you and wish you the best of luck with everything. :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I watch the organs the first 28 days, then include it again. I don't supplement any "Mixes" - I keep everything very simple.

I don't up my quanitities until Day 40 or so. The last 7-10 days no extra calcium, just meat and organ. While puppies are being born I supplement calcium AFTER the first puppy, never before. Then add the bone back into their meals - balanced bone, but in every meal so you are providing adequate calcium. I am paranoid so still supplemented lol

After whelp, my girls get as much food as they want. My raw fed girl (Shepherd) would ONLY eat kibble because she would not leave her babies. She couldn't eat her chunk or "part" raw without getting up, which she refused to do, so kibble it was for the first 6 days. Then she switched back over to raw and I fed her 3-4 times a day. (The ground I had purchased for the babies was not adequate for her due to the cost of the product and the amount I would need to feed. Basically it cost me over $500 a month to feed 7 Shepherd puppies and 4 Pom puppies while they were here (9 Weeks for Sheps and 16 weeks for Poms))

My two other girls would ONLY eat raw after whelping - no kibble. Every bitch is different.

Puppies were weaned onto raw - whole ground beef carcass and warm water, then increased variety after several days. By the time they were 6 weeks they had a diet of beef ground whole carcass, turkey ground whole carcass, chicken ground whole carcass, beef tripe, buffalo tripe, chicken necks, chicken backs and Turkey necks)

I agree get on to Facebook and type in Dog breeding, Canine Reproduction etc and you will find an absolute WEALTH of info from breeders who have been doing this longer than I have been alive LOL Also, Canine Midwoofs is a good one.

I also found a mentor who has been breeding Berners for over a decade and raw feeding them to guide me on the raw feeding pregnant dams and puppies portion. She has been an absolute saint and indespensible.

Of the 7 Shepherd puppies - 6 stayed raw fed. When the puppy owners were visiting the litter they asked SO many questions about raw feeding, limited vax, etc and all decided to keep with the program I follow. It has been super amazing to see them grow and succeed with their handlers. I LOVE every one of them and the feedback on the litter has been superb!

Good luck with your gal - fingers crossed she has some babies in there!

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I watch the organs the first 28 days, then include it again. I don't supplement any "Mixes" - I keep everything very simple.

I don't up my quanitities until Day 40 or so. The last 7-10 days no extra calcium, just meat and organ. While puppies are being born I supplement calcium AFTER the first puppy, never before. Then add the bone back into their meals - balanced bone, but in every meal so you are providing adequate calcium. I am paranoid so still supplemented lol

After whelp, my girls get as much food as they want. My raw fed girl (Shepherd) would ONLY eat kibble because she would not leave her babies. She couldn't eat her chunk or "part" raw without getting up, which she refused to do, so kibble it was for the first 6 days. Then she switched back over to raw and I fed her 3-4 times a day. (The ground I had purchased for the babies was not adequate for her due to the cost of the product and the amount I would need to feed. Basically it cost me over $500 a month to feed 7 Shepherd puppies and 4 Pom puppies while they were here (9 Weeks for Sheps and 16 weeks for Poms))

My two other girls would ONLY eat raw after whelping - no kibble. Every bitch is different.

Puppies were weaned onto raw - whole ground beef carcass and warm water, then increased variety after several days. By the time they were 6 weeks they had a diet of beef ground whole carcass, turkey ground whole carcass, chicken ground whole carcass, beef tripe, buffalo tripe, chicken necks, chicken backs and Turkey necks)

I agree get on to Facebook and type in Dog breeding, Canine Reproduction etc and you will find an absolute WEALTH of info from breeders who have been doing this longer than I have been alive LOL Also, Canine Midwoofs is a good one.

I also found a mentor who has been breeding Berners for over a decade and raw feeding them to guide me on the raw feeding pregnant dams and puppies portion. She has been an absolute saint and indespensible.

Of the 7 Shepherd puppies - 6 stayed raw fed. When the puppy owners were visiting the litter they asked SO many questions about raw feeding, limited vax, etc and all decided to keep with the program I follow. It has been super amazing to see them grow and succeed with their handlers. I LOVE every one of them and the feedback on the litter has been superb!

Good luck with your gal - fingers crossed she has some babies in there!
Thank you for sharing! After whelping and during nursing/weaning, you said that you're [aranoid, so still supplemented calcium. What were you using to supplement?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I used 1000mg tums - after each puppy she had one and then 3x/day until the puppies were 6 weeks, then twice a day until 8 weeks (she didn't wean her litter fully until they were 8 weeks).

The biggest tax on mom will happen between 10 days post whelp and 21 days post whelp, so that is when I was on top of calcium the most.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thank you both so much!
Welcome :)

Please let us know how the U/S goes! It is so exciting to see little babies in there. If I can find a picture of my Poms ultrasound, I will share it - easily one of the best and most clear U/S photos I have ever gotten.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Found it!!

The puppy is on its back, side view, facing left. The long "arm" like thing, is the umbilical cord. You can see the eye, face shape etc. I just LOVE this photo - at about 30 days along. This puppy (guessing from position and being first born) was a little girl weighing in at 2.2 ounces ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts