German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - well - I have a question here.

I have nothing against raw feeding. I think a properly balanced raw diet with good meat sources is probably the best way to feed your dog - BUT - most vets are no no no no no. I am not in a place right now where I can feed raw but I would if everything fell into alignment.

Now some folks get all over people for questioning immunization protocols or using holistic methods for flea/tick control because we should "trust your vet" without question. Some of those very same folks who tell you to trust you vet are feeding raw against veterinary and (now) AVMA advice.

How does one rationalize NOT trusting the vet for some things then trusting them for other things to the point of judging others for making alternate choices vis a vis vaccines and flea treatments?

Just curious. I was not sure where to put it but figured it crossed several lines.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Simply put, I don't rationalize it. If I had an actual vet that had an issue with it, then I don't use that vet. Not all vets are equal, and out of the three I've had with this GSD, none have outright told me no, one seemed hesitant then asked how I do it and saw no problem with it whatsoever. The concern he had is that people get lazy with the diet and the dogs suffer. Many of the people that fed raw then show up with a sick dog either did it improperly, were lazy in preparation, or simply lacked the foundation to do it properly. It's not as simple as picking up a bag of food from the pet store.

Vaccines should not be given to all animals, especially ones with compromised immune systems. The outright prohibition by many I've yet to make an absolute determination on. I've never seen adverse effects from vaccinations in my dogs, but I only do rabies after the puppy shots anyways. I've yet to have a vet recommend otherwise.

I don't always feed raw, especially now with my dog being at the trainer's every other weekend, I provide either HK or quality kibble for the same reasons. I don't want someone getting lazy and my dog suffering as a result.

Like I said, if I encountered a vet that said absolutely know and spouted off information that I know for a fact is incorrect, not information I've read on the internet, but actual basic science, then I thank him for his time, pay my bill and move on to the next one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have never had a vet that was anti-raw. I have had vets insist on yearly vaccines.... and I walked out.
Agreed, even the national association of veterinarian's insists that vaccines should be done at a minimum, as the old wisdom of vaccinate vaccinate vaccinate has been shown over the years to be unnecessary.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I try to do as much research on whatever issue my dogs may have and then discuss it with my vet.

Most vets are so busy they seldom keep up with the newest vaccination protocols or nutrition updates.

And don't forget, vets make $ from clients coming in for those yearly unnecessary vaccines. They also have more than one body to know in and out, unlike human Dr.s I really think it is up to the client to be prepared before going in for a vet visit, and not just blindly trust the vet.

My dogs heartworm tests are scheduled, and two are in need of the rabies vax...so three dog heartworm tests and 2 rabies jabs will cost me $190. Not too shabby for 20 minutes of their time. I'll be holding my dogs for the blood draws and the vet won't be examining them, just blood draw and rabies vax.
Instead of going to the local petstore clinic which would do the exact same thing for 1/2 the price....I'll support my vet because I know she'll be there for me if I really need her.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually have less issue with the vets towing a particular line because most of their clientele is oblivious and just does what they are told and is not keyed into their animals. I know many of us go over our dogs every day looking for bumps, infections, etc...........

I mainly have a bit of an issue with someone deciding it is ok to ignore the vet on one thing (for example feeding raw-vets don't know nutrition yada yada yada) then turn around and tell someone else they are being silly for questioning vaccine protocols or for being concerned about insecticide use etc.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
My vet is happy to titer. The charge is $115 :eek:
Vaccinating is a lot less.
I don't think it should be all or nothing. You use common sense and do what you agree with do your vet's recommendations, and reject what you don't like.
You can also try and find a vet who is more in line with what you believe is the right care.
I saw a few when I moved here, drive a good half hour each way to see the one I chose, and feel very fortunate to have found him.
He also owns a Rottie mix and has no problem with large breeds, which is definitely a plus.

By the way, I don't blindly follow human doctors' recommendations, either.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I actually have less issue with the vets towing a particular line because most of their clientele is oblivious and just does what they are told and is not keyed into their animals. I know many of us go over our dogs every day looking for bumps, infections, etc...........

I mainly have a bit of an issue with someone deciding it is ok to ignore the vet on one thing (for example feeding raw-vets don't know nutrition yada yada yada) then turn around and tell someone else they are being silly for questioning vaccine protocols or for being concerned about insecticide use etc.
Oooh... Now I get it.
Well, everyone is entitled to have and voice an opinion, and I am entitled to ignore it :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts