·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Sinister gets an egg almost everyday

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I give our dog 2 every morning, started off one a day for a few weeks then 2 a day. Her coat is getting very shiney and soft

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans get them when I remember to buy them!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I give one to Ze'eva almost every day if I remember! She LOVES them, enjoys playing with and eating the shell and devours the yolk and whites inside.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Zoey can't have them because she is on a diet of no more than 100 calories a day, an egg provides roughly 80. ;) So there wouldn't hardly be any space left for calories that are more balanced.

However, I do give them to Chance several times a week after we exercise for extra protein. :)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Twice a week along with Salmon oil & vit. E, couple tablespoons of yogurt or cottage cheese daily.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Zoey can't have them because she is on a diet of no more than 100 calories a day, an egg provides roughly 80. ;) So there wouldn't hardly be any space left for calories that are more balanced.

However, I do give them to Chance several times a week after we exercise for extra protein. :)
100 calories a day?? Whats wrong with your Zoey?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Zoey is a very small dog ;)

When feeding eggs on a daily basis, its best to cook the white. The avidin in the white binds to biotin in the yolk. Then, binds with biotin in the body. Its debateable at what point this can cause a biotin deficiency but some research says as little as 1 raw egg a day. I usually feed eggs daily, so I feed the yolk and put the whites into a tupperware container (using the shells to separate the yolks.) Then every couple days I microwave the whites and feed them. Cooking denatures the avidin.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One of our old vets told us not to feed out dogs raw eggs. He said the reason is-when they poop-it will have salmonella, and if they eat their poop-they will get sick. I know it sounds silly, however, I have never been able to get that outta my head and I don't do it anymore.

Anyone have a comment on that? lol

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Zoey is a very small dog ;)

When feeding eggs on a daily basis, its best to cook the white. The avidin in the white binds to biotin in the yolk. Then, binds with biotin in the body. Its debateable at what point this can cause a biotin deficiency but some research says as little as 1 raw egg a day. I usually feed eggs daily, so I feed the yolk and put the whites into a tupperware container (using the shells to separate the yolks.) Then every couple days I microwave the whites and feed them. Cooking denatures the avidin.
As I understand it, the biotin issues are only a problem if you're *not* feeding the yolks--the avidin can't bind to biotin twice--so if you feed a whole egg, it balances out.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I don't have my links anymore but I was linked by people here on this forum so hopefully someone else drops in. But thats what was originally thought, until they found out the amount of avidin in the whites binds with all the biotin in the yolk and then some. Since no one is feeding eggs alone, as long as eggs aren't fed too frequently its not an issue. But it can develop with as little as a single egg fed every day. So I just decided to take the "better safe than sorry" position and cook the whites.

As for salmonella... Its pretty rare to be in eggs to start with. But it is a possible concern for humans, and thats why we are told to not lick raw cake batter any longer ;) but is not a concern in dogs. Due to the shortened digestive tract (when compared to omnivores like humans) and acidic pH of their stomachs, barring existing health concerns salmonella is not an issue in raw eggs or raw meat.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Yes, your dog can get salmonella from raw meat and eggs. Is it common? No. As it's something my dogs get all the time, I figure they have developed an immunity to it over time. Also, salmonella exists in the environment so most dogs have a higher immunity than people do.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I know a lot of you will think this is silly, but I dont feed my dogs anything I wouldn't eat ( aside from their treats and food.) But as far as human food goes, If I wouldn't eat it, I dont give it to them. So, no raw eggs for my dogs

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Pretty much everything I feed my dogs I wouldn't eat myself ;) But then I'm a vegetarian. So I have a very different diet than what my carnivore dogs require hehe.

Just curious- do you only apply that to human foods, or do you apply that to the ingredients in dog foods and treats?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I dont buy them food or treats that have anything funky in it like liver. Their food is chicken and rice and generally their treats are beef. Sometimes I get them liver flavored treats, but it doesnt have actual liver. Im not sure why I am like that, I just am.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I know a lot of you will think this is silly, but I dont feed my dogs anything I wouldn't eat ( aside from their treats and food.) But as far as human food goes, If I wouldn't eat it, I dont give it to them. So, no raw eggs for my dogs
I have no problem if this is what you want to do with your dog, but my dog licks his butt, my other dogs' butts, eats poop and other nasty things on a daily basis, and is still as healthy as can be. I can guarantee that I would do none of the above because I would be sicker than a dog if I did and these are all potentially more pathogenic than feeding eggs.

Sometimes you have to keep things in perspective.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
As I understand it, the biotin issues are only a problem if you're *not* feeding the yolks--the avidin can't bind to biotin twice--so if you feed a whole egg, it balances out.
I've heard the same thing and also read on an email list I belong to that there is sufficient biotin in the yolk to more than compensate for the amout that is bound by the whites. TRUE? FALSE? I honestly don't know the answer. But in over 50 years of giving dogs raw eggs when I think about it, I can't recall that the vet has ever said they're having a problem from eating them.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I dont buy them food or treats that have anything funky in it like liver. Their food is chicken and rice and generally their treats are beef. Sometimes I get them liver flavored treats, but it doesnt have actual liver. Im not sure why I am like that, I just am.
What about the other ingredients though? I just wonder because there are so many preservatives and limited ingredients in many dog foods that are not fit for human consumption. So thats why I wondered if it was just "people food" or pet food as well.

At the extreme, once someone on here said she would never feed her dog meat from the grocery store. But she was ok with the lower quality meats (talking lower than grade A, not going into the whole rendering meats thing) used in dog food. It just seemed quite strange, and disconnected.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts