German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that you should feed only the yolk of a raw egg, because the white is hard to digest. Other people say throw in the whole eggs, shell and all. Is there any truth to the white being hard to digest?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
No. There is nothing wrong with feeding whole eggs and if you want to throw the shell in there, go for it.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I feed raw egg once a week but no shell since it gives both of my dogs the runs. Give it try and if you get runny poo try without the shell all dogs are different:)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
The reason that some people recommend you only feed the egg yolks, or that you should only feed boiled eggs (and never raw) is because egg whites contain a protein called avidin.

Avidin binds to biotin, and if you were to feed your dog only raw egg whites, it would create a biotin deficiency. Fortunately for us, egg yolks continue plenty of biotin, so if we feed whole raw eggs, there really isn't anything to worry about.

You can feed eggs raw and whole, including the egg shells, if your dog will eat them. Abby didn't used to like the shells, but Ronja doesn't mind them. It comes down to personal preference. :) I've never had any tummy issues due to shells, personally.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The only issue i'd have with feeding the shell is the whole calcium issue with puppies. If your puppy is getting calcium through it's kibble, there's no need for that extra calcium from egg shells. Too much calcium isn't good for a growing large breed puppy. With adults, it (the shell) shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
see i've been considering feeding raw eggs but didnt know if it was a good idea. now i think i'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i just mixed in an egg w/ some TOTW wet food w/ a topping of eagle pack and he devoured the snot out of it (not inhaling, just quickly LOL)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts