German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, just thought I'd drop in and give my review on the switch to raw diet.

I had taken pictures from the day I started to chronicle the progress, but wouldn't you know it I can't find them at this instant (well, that's a lie, I'm not in the mood to search my ten million photos, and then figure out again how to upload, lol, maybe I'll come back to this thread and add them in later).

I switched my puppy to the raw diet at around 10 weeks old. She is now... um... I think almost 16 weeks. So the following all occurred over a pretty short period of time. Before the switch, she was underweight, had dandruff, and chronic diarrhea on every food I tried.

After the switch, the dandruff was gone within about a week. She had put on a few pounds and was starting to fill out nicely. Her coat was noticeably shinier. Her temperament was much calmer, and more "even" throughout the day, with no manic bursts of hyperactive energy. Her stool "stabilized" the first week, and also did not occur as frequently.

Last week, I ran out of her raw food about 4 days earlier than I expected, and so had to feed her some of the leftover dry food. (side note: it is important in raw diet feeding to make SURE you prep all the meat for a certain amount of time at once, so you don't loose track of how much you have!).

So, after the temporary switch back to dry what happened? Over that four days, she has dropped probably at least a pound or two. Her dandruff is back (even though I regularly supplement with fish oil).Her stool has gradually softened again, and are MUCH more frequent (I'm talking like 5-6 times per day as opposed to 2 to 3). Her moods are erratic again.

Thankfully, she's back on raw, and I made sure to buy way too much instead of "just enough". This way I don't make the same mistake twice. I'm bummed that I screwed up in the first place, but I am VERY confident that I will have her back in tip top condition within a week or two, because the raw diet is ABSOLUTELY THAT GOOD.

·
Registered
294 Posts
YEAH RAVEN!!!

For all of you none believers on the health issue, the Temperament alone is worth the switch... My dogs on RAW? They go to my office with me every day as Director of Bushtracker!
An 11 week old and a 6 month old Black GSD WD, would normally be hyperactive.. . Everyone says "Geez, they are so mellow and well trained"

Not only extend their life, but save on the wallet with less Vet bills, AND a mellow laid back intelligent type of dog that can switch on and switch off not bouncing off the walls...

lone Ranger

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello again Ravens Mom... My oldest and youngest of 4 GSDs:

Here is a picture of my latest "Wolf Pup" Shaka, 11 weeks old, 11 kg, and She is playing here with my 10 y.o. Alpha Male Dakota (Cody)... He was set to be put down, inflammation in joints, ears, eyes, dropping coat, smelly, itchy, Testimonial in the Adult Dog RAW/BARF section... Now, four months later going on five months and he looks back in his PRIME....

For any of you none Believers out there: Eyes clear, ears clear, no ribs or hips points showing, coat solid and glossy, smells good little like raw steak but.... GREAT!!! Cody is going to live long enought to train his new Wolf Pack Alpha Male "Wolf Caesar" here shown with him... 6 months old, 70 lbs, 25 1/2 " tall, more flat back than in this picture he is moving out...

Kind regards, and welcome to really LOVING your dogs.. Living longer, cheaper in maintenance, healthier, and BETTER on RAW. :wub:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yay for all of your pups problems going away! That was the best thing ever when I switched Avery.

Don't beat yourself up about miscalculating door stock. I just did the same in the month of April, bought enough for the month but forgot the few carry over days that happen while I wait for the next months order arrives.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm glad you found something that works for and is keeping your pup healthy! For us just switching from kibble to dehydrated raw worked wonders. As you described, no dandruff or itching and perfect stool almost every time, colitis is under control. I'm sure your pup enjoys her mealtime better too.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I changed my dog to raw about 2 months ago because she had chronic diarrhea, and it was cured within 24 hours. I felt like an IDIOT for not changing sooner.

I do buy the prepackaged stuff, which is pricey, but it's convenient, so that is my compromise.

I will never go back to kibble!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The Raw diet should be called the miracle diet! Miracles happen when dogs eat what they are supposed to eat!

Keeta has runny poops for the first year that I had her - tried a bazillion kibbles and nothing helped. She also had spay incontinence that did not respond to medication.

I had occasionally supplemented with raw, but after I did a full switch, yes, her poops firmed up, but the big surprise was her incontinence was gone! As long as she is on 100% raw, very rare and infrequent leaking incidents (like one a month, if that), compared to when she was on kibble, where she would have several leaking incidents each day.

Miracle diet or what?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I took my 2 year old Cheyenne to the vet today for her annual checkup. The vet said she had the most amazingly clean teeth he'd seen in a long time. He said her coat was shiny, and that he thought she was the picture of health! He asked what I was feeding her, and for ONCE, a vet praised me for feeding raw!

My younger boy had a very noticable head tic when he was very young. The vets were very concerned that he had a neurological problem, but within a week of switching to raw...it was completely gone!

I am a FIRM believer in raw and will NEVER feed anything else, unless I am destitute!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been feeding my dogs with kibble almost all their lives but then I decided to make the switch. They are raw fed now and the results are amazing. They love the food and they've never been healthier than ever.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Do you have tp be careful with bacteria in their mouths from the raw food? I have kids and I know our dog licks them so that is one of my concerns with the raw diet.

There is bacteria in kibble too (look at all the recalls), and all the stuff that dogs get in contact with when outside. Their saliva does a good job of neutralizing the bacteria they encounter in their food and other stuff they pick up (like dead birds, etc). Some people are careful to not let their dog lick them for about 30 minutes after they have eaten. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I don't do anything different in how I interact with my dogs, and I don't think that most people do.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's a fantastic testimonial!

I've seen major changes in my three dogs, as well, after going raw. Namely my senior, who hardly ever gets mentioned in the forums, since she's such an easy breezy sweetheart of a dog.

Miss Mattie could barely walk when I took her in to foster. She's a coated dog who hadn't been groomed, and one of her hind legs was literally matted to her body. After I had her shaved for a fresh start, though, the limp continued...she was arthritic. This was about a year and a half ago. I noticed last week that I called her from the vacant lot two doors down, and she ran to me across those two empty lots. I don't mean full-tilt like my 2yo...But she RAN to me, and not just bunny hopping like she had been doing. She was using all FOUR legs! I was so pleased.

I pray I never have to go back to kibble... Although, this will definitely extend my timeline for a new pup, lol. I thought this old girl had maybe 1-2 years left in her when I adopted. Now, it looks like I'll get another 4-5-6? outta my sweet old lady :D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How much is the approximate monthly cost to feed one gsd raw food?

This is totally going to be up to you, what resources are available to you, whether you're willing/able to split and package and freeze your own portions of meat that you find marked down and bought all you could at under $1.00/$2.00/lb (in the US)...do you have friends who hunt deer/hogs/rabbits who will give you the parts they don't eat for your dog...do you keep your own chickens...do you fish? Are you the type of person willing to make friends with the butcher and and ask for dog meat? None of that is required, but it will save you lots of $$.

Or are you going to purchase the premade, commercial foods? Or order from one of the delivery services? Or purchase everything from the local grocer?

The more adaptable and creative you are, the less it will cost. With effort, you will pay less to raw feed than you pay for a premium kibble. If you don't get creative, it could cost the same or more.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
For the posters who said that raw helps with temperament as a puppy, I'm jealous. My GSD is on raw since I got her at nine weeks. But she was still one crazy hyper non-stop puppy. She did start to mellow out around 7 months but those puppy months... omg. The way she flies over things (she didn't walk as a puppy, she runs and bounces) made me think I got a devil for a dog. Raw didn't help that or at least didn't seem to have an effect until 7 months. She is now perfect. =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts