German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone! So first step was doing my research and second was finding a supply chain. Well! Third step was getting a cooler and well! Check! Here it is! Picked it up tonight. Next step is buying the meat this weekend and then cutting it up! Well we also have to buy a scale! So here is the picture, for any of you who like comedy you should know it's on top of my husbands 2 dr accord ? Ha!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
nice! Don't forget to let it sit upright for a day before plugging it in when you have it tipped sideways like that :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone feed pork chitterlings?
Also did our first batch of shopping! Got some turkey necks for a good price some gizzards some bone in pork chops some chicken thighs and some beef and chicken livers

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
One tip for using a chest freezer--not just for meat, but any chest freezer:

Buy some plastic baskets to organize it before it gets full (milk crates are great to use if it's a big freezer, or find appropriate smaller, stackable baskets for small freezers). Group things by type in the baskets. If you organize this way, when you inevitably want to get to the stuff at the bottom, you just lift out the top basket, and it's easy to get to the stuff below. The milk crates can even be rotated top to bottom from time to time. It also makes it less likely you'll forget ("lose") good stuff at the bottom.

You can find assorted plastic baskets at Walmart in several different departments: sewing notions, bath items, organizing, and laundry -- write down your inside freezer dimensions to take with you to the store, so that you can put some together that exactly fit your freezer.

I also recommend hanging a white board next to the freezer. I have the board divided in quadrants corresponding to my baskets, and I list the contents of each basket (and the date the item went into the freezer). When I want something, I know right where it is going to be found, so there's minimal digging.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Does anyone feed pork chitterlings?
Also did our first batch of shopping! Got some turkey necks for a good price some gizzards some bone in pork chops some chicken thighs and some beef and chicken livers
Yep. I feed the chits. They count as muscle meat.

Stomach, intestines, gizzards, uterus, lung and heart are the organs you count as muscle. :)

I like to stuff the chitterlings with ground meat, fruit, veggies, and yogurt/kefir then freeze. I feed them frozen solid. Raw dog food popsicle sausage LOL

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WE HIT THE JACKPOT!! The international mart in va beach has everything! Pork tongue rabbit goat lamb! They had testicles pancreas livers kidneys hearts! They have everything! I was in heaven! Told my husband we are coming back here!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
WE HIT THE JACKPOT!! The international mart in va beach has everything! Pork tongue rabbit goat lamb! They had testicles pancreas livers kidneys hearts! They have everything! I was in heaven! Told my husband we are coming back here!
Woo Hoo!!!

How are the prices? Having variety is great but if it's pricey it's not necessarily worth it for me with the drive to VA Beach. Central Meats in Chesapeake has exotic meats (kangaroo, alligator etc.) but I can't pay $12 a lb to feed it to my dog.
International markets can be great but I take caution where some things are sourced. Anything out of China would be a no go for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a purest but China has a really crappy reputation for food health and safety.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi guys, wonder how much approximately you spend monthlt on feeding?

? get 1 kilo muscle meats chunks around 5 to 7 dollars depending on the animal. And pay about 380 ish dollars a month for two puppies. Seems a bit too much wondered what your approximates are

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

? get 1 kilo muscle meats chunks around 5 to 7 dollars depending on the animal. And pay about 380 ish dollars a month for two puppies. Seems a bit too much wondered what your approximates are

Didn't see this until now. Have you searched the forums?

·
Registered
211 Posts

This will vary a lot depending on where you live, if you're a part of a co-op, if you have access to hunters, how much storage you have (to take advantage of great deals), etc.

Personally, I spend an average of about $1.15 USD/lb. (I used to spend a little more, but I have access to a little more freezer space than I had previously, yay!)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First feeding this morning! Trying to figure t all out still. We figured Ellie gets 1 pounds 8 ounces per day and we give Lincoln 1 pound and 14 ounces. Then we broke it down 80% meat 10% bone and 10% organ. We didn't give any bone and we don't plan to for now for the first two weeks or so. It's more or less because DH is worried about choking as he was this morning when the dogs only took a few chomps on the meat.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
First feeding this morning! Trying to figure t all out still. We figured Ellie gets 1 pounds 8 ounces per day and we give Lincoln 1 pound and 14 ounces. Then we broke it down 80% meat 10% bone and 10% organ. We didn't give any bone and we don't plan to for now for the first two weeks or so. It's more or less because DH is worried about choking as he was this morning when the dogs only took a few chomps on the meat.
Congrats on your start! Keep in mind that you will almost certainly need to include bone as quickly as possible, or you're setting yourself up for smooshy poops at best, and cannon butt at worst! Are you including organ right now? If you are, I would actually suggest to hold back on the organ, and introduce the bone first. Organ is notorious for causing yucky poops while they get transitioned on to it. (sidenote, also be sure that half of the organ you feed is liver, and the other half is made up of other secreting organs - lungs and heart do not count as "organs")

Bone-in meat will actually help your dogs slow down their eating, it's more challenging for them and they have to work at it a little harder. When I feed boneless meals they go down much more quickly than our bone-in days. If you're concerned about bones, I would also suggest sticking with chicken bones, as they're the one of the softest type of raw bones (which is also why they're one of the most dangerous cooked bones). And don't be afraid to "feed big." The bigger pieces you feed, the harder your dogs will have to work at it and the slower they'll have to eat. (My 30lb dog will try to swallow drumsticks whole, but will happily chew up chicken leg quarters and thighs properly)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on your start! Keep in mind that you will almost certainly need to include bone as quickly as possible, or you're setting yourself up for smooshy poops at best, and cannon butt at worst! Are you including organ right now? If you are, I would actually suggest to hold back on the organ, and introduce the bone first. Organ is notorious for causing yucky poops while they get transitioned on to it. (sidenote, also be sure that half of the organ you feed is liver, and the other half is made up of other secreting organs - lungs and heart do not count as "organs")

Bone-in meat will actually help your dogs slow down their eating, it's more challenging for them and they have to work at it a little harder. When I feed boneless meals they go down much more quickly than our bone-in days. If you're concerned about bones, I would also suggest sticking with chicken bones, as they're the one of the softest type of raw bones (which is also why they're one of the most dangerous cooked bones). And don't be afraid to "feed big." The bigger pieces you feed, the harder your dogs will have to work at it and the slower they'll have to eat. (My 30lb dog will try to swallow drumsticks whole, but will happily chew up chicken leg quarters and thighs properly)

So we winded up giving a whole thigh tonight to both dogs to incorporate bone! You give bone daily right? I also bought some RMBs today!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Are gizzards a muscle meat? Besides liver what other organs are there truly? I'm not able to find much besides different livers. I did however find some brain which I already cut up. So far we only have beef liver and chicken liver. We also have gizzards but I think that would be muscle meat? I don't know where to find kidneys.. We also picked up some rabbit and we picked up some chitterlings and pig tails. I think pig tails can be considered RMBs right because there's a lot of bone and meat? So many questions!

Edit: just read gizzard is a muscle meat!

·
Registered
211 Posts
So we winded up giving a whole thigh tonight to both dogs to incorporate bone! You give bone daily right? I also bought some RMBs today!
When first starting raw, it's generally better to feed bone daily. For my dog, now that's she fully transitioned and we have an established regular menu, we do a bone-in meal about once every 3 days. We do bone-in meat along with her "ration" of organs, and then 2 days of MM only. (this is just how it all worked out percentage-wise for us.)

Are gizzards a muscle meat? Besides liver what other organs are there truly? I'm not able to find much besides different livers. I did however find some brain which I already cut up. So far we only have beef liver and chicken liver. We also have gizzards but I think that would be muscle meat? I don't know where to find kidneys.. We also picked up some rabbit and we picked up some chitterlings and pig tails. I think pig tails can be considered RMBs right because there's a lot of bone and meat? So many questions!

Edit: just read gizzard is a muscle meat!
Questions are good, never be afraid to ask! :)

"Other" organs include kidney, pancreas, spleen, testicles, and ovaries. Kidney is probably the easiest one to source, I've gotten kidney from a local butcher and a local meat processor (I did have to ask specifically though, they didn't just have it in stock). I'd recommend looking into local sources that may allow you to "special order" organs. Another option is to order organs from a raw-food supplier like MyPetCarnivore (we looove MPC!), Hare Today Gone Tomorrow, Raw Feeding Miami, etc.

Gizzard, Heart, Lung, Tongue, and Green tripe are all fed as MM. Chitterling is intestines, and doesn't really have much (if any) nutritional value to your dog. Green tripe(stomach) on the other hand, is a powerhouse food!

I feed chicken almost exclusively as my bone source (and I have a much smaller dog) so I'm not super comfortable recommending bone-in cuts that would be appropriate for your size dog - this can also depend on their confidence in eating and how intense of a chewer they are.

I HIGHLY recommend joining the Raw Feeding Community on facebook! They have a collection of files with good basic info, as well as more in-depth information. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people on there as well, and everyone is great about being welcoming and helpful to new raw feeders.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are all the best! Thank you! So have some bad news! Our freezer took a wrong turn today. We have to buy a new one tomorrow in order to save all of our meat!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts