German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends and GSD Lovers... :wub:

My new little female puppy, (see I did not say the B word, must be getting soft and fuzzy over her) is now about 13 weeks, 13 kg, big sized massive breeder it looks like... Mom was a 48 kg Police Dog, Working Dog sort of flat back big bones... Anyway, on the RAW diet, Wolf Caesar is the all black Male, now 6 1/2 months, something over 30 kg... All RAW diet...

Now, beautiful white teeth, healthy, mellow temperament.. But my problem is I am going in the road for a solid week to the Pacific Coast Reining Horse Championships.... I do not really have an adequate freezer in the horsefloat.. I mean I do, but 7 days of meat ??? What I am thinking is a week of the high grade Nutro chicken and rice kibble that I already own and is going to waste... Any health contradictions in going a week on dry kibble with bones???

I am a RAW fan but.... But it is a little hard on the road for a week, winter here, frozen, thawed, meat, bone... I notice they have a little trouble dropping doodles once in a while, on RAW they lack some bulk... But what would be any medical contraindications or complications in doing a week on the kibble???? My older dogs do a little more squatting once in a while, they will be on the kibble as well, left at home in the care of my Caretaker on the Horse property.

Anybody done this switch? I am hoping some of you may have tried this.. I can guess it would be just fine, as long as I am not mixing it, they will probably adapt and think it is a treat... But I would rather not guess or have anyone else guess, but get an answer from some that have tried it..

Thank you in advance from Australia...
Out doing "Dances with Wolves" best I can...:hug:

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I have never switched my dogs to kibble to travel even when Vala and I flew to Germany. Usually when I travel I just take their normal food with me. In the winter it is a bit harder to deal with because nothing thaws unless I take it into my hotel room. In the summer I keep everything on ice. I have also just run to the store and grabbed things, but I realize in your area things my not be that convenient. When I flew to Germany I used dehydrated food.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would not worry about it. I switch my dogs from raw to kibble from day to day; week to week, at random, just depending on whatever's going on. No problems for them. I think it's good to let puppies get used to a variety of food. It's the puppies that don't get any variety in food that grow up to be dogs with sensitive tummies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not worry about it. I switch my dogs from raw to kibble from day to day; week to week, at random, just depending on whatever's going on. No problems for them. I think it's good to let puppies get used to a variety of food. It's the puppies that don't get any variety in food that grow up to be dogs with sensitive tummies.
Biologically my concern was not about putting them back on the easy bulk... Eat, 20 minutes later ready to take a dump, as the bulk goes in and pushes the last bunch out... :rofl: No worries...

I was just wondering how it would affect them, then switched back to raw... :( In RAW, if anything, they lack the bulk a bit to be regular... It is one of the only serious bad side effects.. :wild: They do a bit more squatting... :rolleyes:

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts, and wish it to be that easy..

Anyone else tried it? Kind regards, out on the "Range" in the Last Frontier...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird,
Tried them this morning.. I was a bit tired, in a bit of a rush, and gave the two pups a bowl of the Nutro Chicken and Rice, (the best kibble I have found here in Australia so far)...

Anyway, one had a little nibble, couple of mouthfuls, and the six month old "Caesar" ate only about a handful and quit... Seems they know what is good for them I guess. It may not be easy to run them on kibble. I will have to try a few more times, like tonight and tommorrow morning, and if they don't want it and hold out for the RAW, I will just have to figure out my transport and storage..

Maybe they DO KNOW what is good for them after all... :rofl:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I personally wouldn't put them on kibble if you paid me. It can be tough while travelling but here's my suggestion if logistics can be managed.

Plan out 5 days worth of meals and separate them into bags and mark them. Then freeze them. Then get a cooler and ice and there's 5 days for sure to be prepped. They should stay frozen for 2 days and 2 days cold (by replacing the ice as it melts, since it should be easy to find ice on the road) and dogs don't mind if the meat has been "out" for a day. Then the 6th day buy a little bit more meat for both days or just fast them the final day.

Update how it goes please :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona was on raw while on antibiotics. I still had a bag of kibble. Fed her kibble until gone and back to raw. No problems, just bigger poops and more often on the kibble. She did have very loose stools the first day or so after the switch.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Friends and GSD Lovers :wub:...

Well, I was at the Pacific Coast Reing Horse Championships (where I was Blessed with a buckle!) Seven days of very hard work... All day, and up at 1am to 3 am to get into the arena alone training, then back to bed for a few hours and back up at 6 am to start all over... :rolleyes: Anyway, on the final two days of the Competition, I was just too tired and too busy to go get more meat defrosted and I left out a pan of Nutro Chicken and rice for each of my three GSDs with me for a couple of days....

They ate well, no problems except larger volume of poo.. No visible problems, but when switched back to the raw diet they had loose poos and off schedule for a week. With less volume, more squatting, off schedule a bit, it took a week to get back into the swing of things... Dry food would sure be a lot easier, but my senior Alpha Male Dakota, ten years old, was just put down on Friday with cancer. I blame the dry food for the cancer. When I got back to Australia from Yellowstone dead of winter in January (to see the wolves by Arctic Snowcat and snowmobile), my Son said Dakota should be put down with all the dry food problems like: Inflammation in joints, ears, eyes, dropping his coat, hot spots, and so on. While on the RAW diet saved him then (There is a Testimonial in the Adult RAW diet section) he got cancer and was just put down. I blame his ten years on kibble for the cancer, the perservatives, rancid oils, wheat, and lousy fillers, THAT caused the cancer I am sure of it...

I will feed the rest on RAW. It was sad to lose Cody, what a LOYAL AND SMART BEST FRIEND he was... !:( I gave him five months more life, and he taught my black Working Dogs quite a lot.. I could not let him suffer, here shown with Shaka my new Foundation Bitch about a month ago...

So, still doing Dances with Wolves, best I can, in Australia

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
So sorry you had to put your dog down. Cancer is terrible, I lost my last female to cancer at 8 yrs old. Like you, I look back on her diet of kibble and wonder....

Sounds like you've been through an exhausting and stressful time. Hope Shaka handles Dakota's absence well. I'm sure he'll be missed by all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts