German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season's greetings. I took my 15 month old pup to the vet,and after a glowing report,I fessed up about switching him to raw when he turned one year old. She told me to mix some kibble in with his raw diet. I was told that it's not good to mix raw with processed food because of the difference in digestion rates. My Vet told me this is a myth. I am nervous about mixing the two , and would sure like to hear some thoughts on the whole idea.... I give him a raw diet that I buy premixed with veggies,and add fish oil . he gets tripe with every meal.he also gets turkey necks,and boiled eggs two or three nights a week. thanks for your input in advance..:)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Your vet is correct, this is a myth. Lots and lots of people toss some raw in with their dog's kibble on a regular basis without any problem.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
What was your vets reason for suggesting adding in a kibble?
When you feed raw and kibble together, it digests together. Raw food on its own will digest faster, feeding together may slow down that process some.
I would just do what you've been doing and if your vet would elaborate on the suggestion to add kibble, weigh the opinion with why you are feeding raw.
I feed raw because I don't want to feed a diet I have no control over ingredient-wise.
The commercial recalls with dying animals were the reason I switched when I did, it was a scary time 4 years ago.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your replies . my vet thinks that I will be balancing the diet with kibble being added to the raw food. Am I really losing out by feeding only raw?? It seems to me,all those added vitamins and minerals had to be added back into the kibble,after all the processing had occurred , but a little voice inside tells me to keep an open mind and ask more questions. Are there certain vitamins and minerals that need to be added to the raw meals,to make it complete? :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to include kibble in the diet if you are feeding the appropriate amounts of meat, bone, and organ, and an appropriate VARIETY of protein sources.

The only supplementation you should need are possibly some salmon/fish oils (which, in theory, you wouldn't need to supplement if you were using a fresh fish source, though that can understandably be hard to come by) and the vitamin E (which apparently gets depleted when you use the fish oils).

Other than that, the raw provides all the vits/mins they need.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is absolutely no reason to include kibble in the diet if you are feeding the appropriate amounts of meat, bone, and organ, and an appropriate VARIETY of protein sources.

The only supplementation you should need are possibly some salmon/fish oils (which, in theory, you wouldn't need to supplement if you were using a fresh fish source, though that can understandably be hard to come by) and the vitamin E (which apparently gets depleted when you use the fish oils).

Other than that, the raw provides all the vits/mins they need.
thank you,I am supplementing the fish oils . I don't see a lot of veg.in the food but it has organ meat and bone dust from the saws.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
thank you for your replies . my vet thinks that I will be balancing the diet with kibble being added to the raw food. Am I really losing out by feeding only raw?? It seems to me,all those added vitamins and minerals had to be added back into the kibble,after all the processing had occurred , but a little voice inside tells me to keep an open mind and ask more questions. Are there certain vitamins and minerals that need to be added to the raw meals,to make it complete? :)
It is nice to add raw food to a dogs diet but very few people have the time & energy to do this properly. Moreover, I have seen many prey model fed dogs and raw fed dogs and they only look good to the owner but not to the professionals eye.

Yes it can be done properly but it is not worth the time, effort and expense. Even honest raw feeders will tell you they see no difference.

If you want to add raw then use a solid mid-priced kibble as a base, something like Pro Pac would be good. Stay away from adding muscle meat, it is expensive, high in ash and overweighted with phosphorous. Add, green tripe, egg yolks, goats milk yogurt, liver (small amounts) and chicken necks or backs. Some greens are nice too, I like giving whole celery stalks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
It is nice to add raw food to a dogs diet but very few people have the time & energy to do this properly. Moreover, I have seen many prey model fed dogs and raw fed dogs and they only look good to the owner but not to the professionals eye.

Yes it can be done properly but it is not worth the time, effort and expense. Even honest raw feeders will tell you they see no difference.

If you want to add raw then use a solid mid-priced kibble as a base, something like Pro Pac would be good. Stay away from adding muscle meat, it is expensive, high in ash and overweighted with phosphorous. Add, green tripe, egg yolks, goats milk yogurt, liver (small amounts) and chicken necks or backs. Some greens are nice too, I like giving whole celery stalks.
Excuse me? Seriously, where do you get off?

I just had Mulder in the vet on Friday. He marveled at his skin and coat and how fantastic he looked. We discussed his diet, and he was totally supportive of it.

No difference? Mulder was on a nasty little spiral of weight gain with kibble- even eating the bare minimum of what I could feed him (less than, at times), he was still gaining weight. Within a couple of months on raw, he started to shed the pounds. And now? After 7 months? He's back to his ideal wight, and never looked better.

Raw IS worth the time (minimal), effort (minimal), and expense (which is honestly no more than a good kibble at worst, and dirt cheap at best). Maybe not for certain lazy, or uninformed people who believe that dogs can thrive on corn, but for those of us who see it differently, it absolutely is.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Excuse me? Seriously, where do you get off?

I just had Mulder in the vet on Friday. He marveled at his skin and coat and how fantastic he looked. We discussed his diet, and he was totally supportive of it.

No difference? Mulder was on a nasty little spiral of weight gain with kibble- even eating the bare minimum of what I could feed him (less than, at times), he was still gaining weight. Within a couple of months on raw, he started to shed the pounds. And now? After 7 months? He's back to his ideal wight, and never looked better.

Raw IS worth the time (minimal), effort (minimal), and expense (which is honestly no more than a good kibble at worst, and dirt cheap at best). Maybe not for certain lazy, or uninformed people who believe that dogs can thrive on corn, but for those of us who see it differently, it absolutely is.
A couple years ago I had the flu and was watching a dog show on Animal Planet. When it came time for Best in Show I wrote down the kennel names for a bunch of the dogs and looked up the kennels on the internet. I sent emails asking what the kennels fed. Not one fed raw and only one I think supplemented. You would be surprised how many show dogs eat Bil Jac.

In the working world you will rarely if ever find a dog eating only raw food.

As for cost, a large dog will need 3 -5 pounds of raw food per day depending on activity. You cannot tell me it is cost effective because the cheapest component, chicken necks, still cost about 50 cents Lb. Prepared raw diets cost $2 - $3 lb.

People that say it is cheaper are just plain dishonest.

·
Registered
877 Posts
And you're just plain ignorant.

There are PLENTY of raw fed working dogs- Mulder's breeder fed raw, the breeders of both Mulder's parents fed raw, and many many more kennels feed raw. Several people at my club feed raw. I am not alone in this.

3-5 lbs? What planet are you living on? Do you own Mastiffs? Mulder's ideal weight is 75lbs. He eats 2% of his body weight, which is 1.5 lbs a day. And he's a massively active dog.

I get things like whole rabbit, chicken leg quarters, turkey, various organs, etc for all around or under $1 per lb. I WAS getting ground beef for around $1 a lb, but my supplier crapped out on me. I get pork for $1.65 a lb.

I will be getting a messload of free venison when my supplier further south finds the time to get up here.

Is kibble really cheaper than free?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
We do not feed 100% RAW on all dogs. Do partial (separate meal) on some and transitioning to full RAW on others. We do not have solid sources yet - building those up. Our vet supports RAW as well.

We wean to RAW and then introduce kibble. Never any issues at all. They LOVE it and thrive.

We have working dogs that we train and competed with. And a lot of the people I know (breeders and owners) that actively work and compete with their dogs and feed 100% RAW. They are a great source of excellent and knowledgable information; many are on this board.

We do see a positive difference with any additional RAW to the diet. And our dogs are worked daily.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I believe Wildhaus (mod here) does raw, yes?

As does Leerburg, Baden, Kreative, Schraderhaus, Van Den Heuvel, and more.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
And you're just plain ignorant.

There are PLENTY of raw fed working dogs- Mulder's breeder fed raw, the breeders of both Mulder's parents fed raw, and many many more kennels feed raw. Several people at my club feed raw. I am not alone in this.

3-5 lbs? What planet are you living on? Do you own Mastiffs? Mulder's ideal weight is 75lbs. He eats 2% of his body weight, which is 1.5 lbs a day. And he's a massively active dog.

I get things like whole rabbit, chicken leg quarters, turkey, various organs, etc for all around or under $1 per lb. I WAS getting ground beef for around $1 a lb, but my supplier crapped out on me. I get pork for $1.65 a lb.

I will be getting a messload of free venison when my supplier further south finds the time to get up here.

Is kibble really cheaper than free?
You just made my point. If you have the time to find, buy, store & defrost all that then god bless you. I don't believe you on the costs, not one bit. You might be the 1 in a million that can buy green tripe or rabbit for that price but I still don't buy it.

People that advocate this have so much invested personally that they can't aknowledge the real cost and real effectiviness.

Don't get me wrong, I support giving egg yolks for example, green tripe too, but it is utter foolishness to think the average person with kids, a job and a life can waste time and money doing this.

There is not one bit of evidence that a dog will look better, run faster or live longer.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not any real effort on my part at all, actually.

Yeah, I had to invest in a freezer. That's been my biggest expense, and honestly, at a 1-time buy of $75? Not too bad, considering I can always resell it, or use it for my own needs.

Time to source this stuff? Joke. I put an add on craigslist for people geting rid of unwanted scraps/junk parts from their hunting, and got an email back from an AWESOME rabbit supplier that I get whole, unprocessed rabbit meat from for dirt cheap. I also got an email from someone who runs a local co-op, and gets meat for VERY good prices.

The venison? A friend of my father's in Mobile owns a hunting camp. I get all his scraps, heads, legs, ribs, organs... basically everything but the stakes for FREE. Both he and my father make regular trips up here, so basically the only "work" I do on my part is wait.

Again, you honestly believe kibble is cheaper than FREE?
What a joke.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
It is easy, once you get into it. And if you have a good supplier AND have a separate freezer and refrig (small) in the garage, the buying in bulk, freezing and thawing is no issue.

If you are buying from a store, yes - the costs are not as low. But, if you get a group together and work with the stores and/or supplier 1-2x month, then it is less.

Plus, the vet costs are much lower. Less supplements. Clean teeth.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Not any real effort on my part at all, actually.

Yeah, I had to invest in a freezer. That's been my biggest expense, and honestly, at a 1-time buy of $75? Not too bad, considering I can always resell it, or use it for my own needs.

Time to source this stuff? Joke. I put an add on craigslist for people geting rid of unwanted scraps/junk parts from their hunting, and got an email back from an AWESOME rabbit supplier that I get whole, unprocessed rabbit meat from for dirt cheap. I also got an email from someone who runs a local co-op, and gets meat for VERY good prices.

The venison? A friend of my father's in Mobile owns a hunting camp. I get all his scraps, heads, legs, ribs, organs... basically everything but the stakes for FREE. Both he and my father make regular trips up here, so basically the only "work" I do on my part is wait.

Again, you honestly believe kibble is cheaper than FREE?
What a joke.
Of course kibble is cheaper. You crazy? My cost range per dog is about .50 - .75 cents a day. The average is about .62 cents. I don't use cheap food either. Food is delivered, no driving, no craigs list LOL, no freezer. I have one 14 year old that has eaten the same food since she was weaned.

Again you might be the exception as far as cost goes, but you cant even buy meat rabbits from the 4H kids around here for that price. Decent green tripe is $2 $2.5lb.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Crazy? Hardly.

Raw is as expensive or as cheap as you make it. As Sue said, if you're buying everything from a grocery store, yeah, its going to be expensive.

But if you actually put your feelers out, do the MINIMAL amount of work to source cheap meat (you may laugh at craiglist, but that's saved me an untold amount of money finding those suppliers), than just about anyone could do it for less or at least equal the cost of kibble.

My rabbit supplier mostly sells to reptile people, alligator ranchers, snake people. There is a reptile show here once a month, so I don't even have to travel to get the meat. Drive up the road a ways, and BAM, rabbit for $1 a lb. Really less than that, actually, considering I weighed my last $30 purchase, and had nearly 35 lbs of meat.

Again, untold amounts of free venison. FREE venison. There is no kibble, unless you work for some kind of rescue and get it donated, that compares to FREE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts