German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with feeding RAW to a dog with EPI or diabetes? My 1-yr old pup has both and I was hoping to at least try a RAW diet. She is so young and I want to keep her as healthy as possible. I feel that RAW should be easier on her diabetes, but I'm not sure about sugar regulation. And I have no idea how RAW would work with EPI. If anyone has a RAW-fed dog with either EPI or diabetes, I would love to hear your experiences.

Thank you for any suggestions or concerns.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm going to 'bump' this for you:) My sister had a lab who had EPI, she fed her an entirely raw diet for the last 6 years of her life. She did great on it but one little deviation , as in, oh, a wrong treat or whatever, she'd pay for it:( She lived until she was almost 15 years old too:)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey Jen, I don't have any advice for you, but I was thinking of Shya the other day, and was wondering how she was doing. I have an email in to a diabetic friend to ask her how meat affects her sugars - it likely wouldn't work exactly the same, but it might give some idea.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My friend just got back to me - she said that meat has no noticeable effect on her blood sugar. I imagine that dogs metabolize it somewhat differently, but I would think that completely cutting out carbs wouldn't hurt. You would just have to monitor really closely for the first while and when introducing something new. Hopefully someone with actual experience will have some better insight!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Does anyone have experience with feeding RAW to a dog with EPI or diabetes? My 1-yr old pup has both and I was hoping to at least try a RAW diet. She is so young and I want to keep her as healthy as possible. I feel that RAW should be easier on her diabetes, but I'm not sure about sugar regulation. And I have no idea how RAW would work with EPI. If anyone has a RAW-fed dog with either EPI or diabetes, I would love to hear your experiences.

Thank you for any suggestions or concerns.
It's carbohydrates which bump up the blood sugar, not protein. Raw is also digested much faster and more easily in dogs than dry kibble (takes a few hours versus all day) - which should help with the EPI even though you may still be looking at giving a supplement. IMO raw is the best way you can go.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Try sending a PM to Lauri & the gang she has a tonne of knowledge with RAW

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. And hi Liv.. Shya is doing much better after some ups and down (literally, with her sugar). We found a good dose for her and as long as we always feed the same amount and get the shot in, then its not that bad. I just hate feeding her all these carbs that probably spike her blood glucose very quickly. She also eats ALOT of food. 6 cups a day! I think between the EPI and diabetes, she's not absorbing what she should from her food. She's pretty thin and always looking for food.

We're looking into switching her to a grain-free food, like Taste of the Wild (she's on Solid Gold large puppy food now). I read that foods with a higher protein to carb ratio are better for diabetic dogs. Still would rather switch to RAW, but grain-free is worth a try too and the vet would go along with it.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I would also add digestive enzymes to her food - these help to break down protein and fat, making it easier for your dog to assimilate the nutrients she needs. The best I have found is Berte's Zyme, which you can order from www.b-naturals.com

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I have been using Pancreatin in her food from Enzymediane.com. Berte's Zyme looks like it includes more zymes. I'll have to look into it and compare the ingredients.

I would also add digestive enzymes to her food - these help to break down protein and fat, making it easier for your dog to assimilate the nutrients she needs. The best I have found is Berte's Zyme, which you can order from www.b-naturals.com

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
You may have to grind the RMB so that the enzymes you use for the EPI will be able to do their job on the raw. That is what a friend has to do for his EPI dog. Another option is the preground products that can be purchased since most of us don't own grinders that can handle the larger animal bones.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I use Jarrow brand (human supplement) pancreatin (porcine) for my girl. She doesn't have an EPI diagnosis but my vet and I consider it to be mild EPI or what I call sub EPI lol. She didn't look sickly before, but was noticeably underweight if you felt through her coat (LC) and had intermittent diarrhea. We haven't bothered to test her as she's thriving on the enzymes so no further answer is really needed.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Thanks! I have been using Pancreatin in her food from Enzymediane.com. Berte's Zyme looks like it includes more zymes. I'll have to look into it and compare the ingredients.
It is specifically formulated for dogs, and was created initially for dogs being fed kibble - which can take up to 8 hours for the dogs' system to digest.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 8 year old GSD has EPI and I started feeding him k-9 kraving chubs and he is doing amazing on it, he has gained a few pounds on it and he only has two stools a day compared to like 4 when he was on dog food. It only took me 8 years to find the correct diet for him!! I would give it a try but be careful with the fatty meats like duck. I have tried turkey and beef so far and he is thriving. I am also giving him the enzymes from enzyme diane.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
We're looking into switching her to a grain-free food, like Taste of the Wild (she's on Solid Gold large puppy food now). I read that foods with a higher protein to carb ratio are better for diabetic dogs. Still would rather switch to RAW, but grain-free is worth a try too and the vet would go along with it.
Just keep in mind - grain free does NOT mean carb free.

Most grain free foods are using potatoes as the filler and those are very high in carbs.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Wanted to bump this back up as I'd love some more information on the diabetic portion of this. I met a lady today with a severly overweight dog and he had diabetes he was just diagnosed with and I recommended raw to her and sent her here (and to Lauri's website) to help get her started but would love some more direct information to pass on to her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts