German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****! Just when I think I've covered my bases something new comes up.
I was sitting at the breakfast table on Saturday morning and distinctly heard a rattlesnake in the brush behind our fence. He kept going off and on. Our backyard is right up against a hill with lot of wild brush, rabbits, coyotes, raccoons use it.

We have a kennel in the yard for Ruby- has shade, water, a dog house, and a mister line for when it's really hot. My question is- should I be worried about the rattlers coming down the hill and slithering into her kennel?

I was worried the snakes would smell the water and come down. I know almost nothing about snake behavior.

Also I was told about a rattlesnake vaccine- what are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
My thoughts are you do not want to get to where you need to use it. There is vaccine and most emergency clinics should have it in areas where rattlers are prevalent-you may want to check with your vet to see.

There are snake repellents available which you could spread around the perimeter of your yard that may be worth checking out. I was at a breeder this weekend who lives in a place where rattlers thrive. She uses a snake repellent around the perimeter of her place to cut down on the access. Maybe this is something you may want to consider using.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip! I also googled snake proofing the yard and found that something as simple as putting upo screen to blow holes in the fences can greatly reduce snakes getting in. So I guess know what project I will be working on this weekend. I called the vet today and made an appt for Thursday to discuss the vaccine. From everything I've read it's worth the $28 for the vaccine as opposed to the several thousand for the anti-venom treatment if your dog is bit- and! Your dog could end up with neuro damage. Man... it alwasys something!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts