German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Our GSD just turned two so we had his hips and elbows x-rayed to be evaluated by OFA, per the puppy contract/guarantee when we bought him.

From what I’m told his elbows look good, but a bit unsure on the hips. I think the right looks better but it could also be the positioning of his left. Based on comparisons I have seen, I would estimate the right to look fair/good while the left being fair/mild. I’m completely inexperienced, however.

Would appreciate more input. IMG_4253.jpg
IMG_4254.jpg
IMG_4255.jpg
IMG_4260.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think the positioning could be a little better - left knee is turned out a bit more than right - but it's still acceptable to OFA.

Sockets are on the shallow side. My guess would be OFA fair. I think they will get a pass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'd be curious to know what OFA says, if you'll post a follow up. These look worse (in my wholly unqualified opinion) than one of my dogs and OFA said mild H/D. Positioning looks a bit off to me though, on the right.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - they are getting sent to OFA next week so I’ll follow up with the results once received.

As part of our puppy contract, we either get another dog for free or a refund on our money if they come back with H/D Moderate or Severe. I don’t really want a refund or another dog, just a healthy one. I’m big into running and was waiting on these results until I started brining him with me on runs, if they aren’t very positive, I don’t know that 10-15 miles of pavement running a week would be a good idea in the long run.

As a whole, he is incredibly fast, strong, and athletic. His drive is incredible. I’ve never heard any popping or noticed any side effects. I have noticed occasionally after some long hot fetch his back legs do seem to get a bit tired and his nails drag slightly. Not sure if that is related or him just being tired.

Regardless, I think we should start looking into supplements for long term health/support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dasuquin was recommend to me for joint health. Also keeping the dog lean, active and well muscled will help. Best wishes to you and your pupper.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to follow up. The people that do the OFA called our vet today. They said his elbows were rated normal (looked excellent) and they rated his hips as “good”!!

Way better than I expected! We should get the official paperwork tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
sweet! And of course, still take it easy on the hard top surfaces. Even with good hips that pounding can be hard on joints and paw pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
10-15 miles is too long a distance for any large dog. Even good hips' cartilage can wear down with constant running. I had a Shepherd with good hips who liked to chase rabbits. When he was eight, he got arthritis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts