German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GS had this started Saturday night into Sunday morning I’ve put this hot spot medicine spray that I bought at pet supplies to help with itching and get this to go down. He is still itching it really bad and it is even painful. I have not taken him to the vet yet because I would like to see if I can get this to clear up on my own. He currently has antibiotic cream on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Go to drug store or supermarket or Walmart and get Lanacaine First Aid Spray. It will stop the itching almost immediately.
I use it for all stings and insect bites and it really does the job fast.
That's a pretty large area, can you see a insect bite or area that was stung?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
That is a pretty big area and what looks like a hot spot. Due to the size and how raw it looks, if you haven’t tackled a hot spot successfully before, I would get him to vet by tomorrow.

The area also looks like it could be oozing but not sure.

I would clip the fur if you can and get a cone on him to prevent any more licking. Call your vet to see if he can be given benadryl to ease the itching. Most dogs can. I don’t think an antibiotic will help the spot. It you can get hebiclens or vetericin that should help.

You need the vet to help figure out what caused the itching in the first place and make sure the spot is not infected and also make certain that the entire area is being treated otherwise it just becomes Cyclical. The area probably extends further in the fur.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just want to mention- have you checked all over the dog's body to see if a flea is on it? For some dogs, one flea bite can cause a hot spot like this as they are very allergic to the bite. Also check your home and dog's sleeping area for fleas.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
As Heartandsoul mentioned, it is very important to try and pin down the "cause".......new food? new treat? new supplement? new dog bed? washed dog bed in a different detergent? new topical or flea collar? new heart worm preventative? A cone is also a good idea.

Vets will give steroids, cortisone or prednisone to suppress the immune system. But, although a quick fix for hot spot relief (inflammation, itching etc), it doesn't get to the root of the underlying problem.

Yes, definitely check for fleas as OH suggested.

Go to a Whole Foods store or Health Food Store (one that carries fresh veg & fruit) and get a fresh stem of Aloe.
Cut open a small area and use the juice to apply to the hot spot area. Use sparingly or it will dry out the spot too quickly.

If using a store bought Aloe product, make sure it is certified organic and 99% aloe.

You can get 1 packet (mixed with purified water, makes 16 ounces for $6) of 100% Organic Aloe here: Amazon.com : adaptALOE 100% Pure Aloe Vera Juice Crystals, Organic, Inner Leaf Fillet (single), 16 fl ounces : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Organic Black Tea: Steep a few “black tea” bags: Let cool. Put liquid in a sterilized spray bottle to spray on spot and use cooled teabags as a compress. The tannin's in this will promote healing and draw out inflammation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts