German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my dog out last night and he bolts off. He always does lately because he smells the chiwuuaguuhauhauhua next door through the fence. Next thing I know I see a little black dot running around the yard infront of my dog. Hello Rabbit.

Recall? Yeah right. He didn't listen to one **** word as I'm yelling at 11:30pm waking my neighbors. Couldn't chase them down because they were running so fast. The whole time Lex was whining, it was so funny. Anyways. I'm waiting for the bunny to hop the fence or go through the hole...it doesn't. After a solid five minutes of chasing the rabbit gives up. Huddles in a corner and lets out the most scariest yelp I've ever heard. Lex wasn't biting or anything, just sniffing it. He's only a year old. Anyways. I have to physically restraint Lex and drag him inside. I've never seen him this hyper/happy/excited/crazy before. He wasn't attacking it or barking. Just sniffing the **** out of the scared crapless bunny.

I get him inside and go back outside to open the gate and shoo the bunny out. After its gone I left Lex go back outside because I know he needs to potty after all this. Of course he doesn't, just wanders around sniffing everything. Recall is completely dead once again. I have to grab him and drag him in.

The whole thing was amusing but if this was outside the fence, he would be dead. Is it just impossible to get a recall in these new type of situtations? He is a 95% recall dog even when busy looking at people or playing with dogs but this experience and the after time outside he didn't want to listen at all.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Brady does the same thing
Bunny's have a chance no fence (electronic for dogs)
it is funny seeing them bolt after the bunnies and deers

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
If the bunny's are a problem, I had that problem for awhile. Your choices are, check the yard before you let the dog out and or put your dog on a long line. I like the long line because I have control and I can use those situations as a teaching time.

Once you have the control of a long line, you should be able to get your dog settled down and have him go potty. My deeDee is thunderstorm phobic so talk about not listening at times, but even if she can see lightening and hear thunder I can take her out on leash and have her go potty. My male was the rabbit killer, so the long line, even in the fenced yard gave me control. I always had a pocket of great goodies so when I need to encourage him to come, even if I had to use the long line, he got GREAT rewards.

The problem is chasing bunnies is great fun and it brings out the prey drive. So you have to have control and the reward has to be greater than chasing the rabbit.

Val

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Forget the recall. It won't work and you are allowing the dog to ignore your command.

You need to break the focus. What works for my guys is a VERY loud AAAAAAAAACK!! and LEAVE IT!

We worked on the Leave It command in the house. First with plain dog biscuits, then with yummy treats and finally with their raw food.

Another thing you can do to break the focus is throw something. Not exactly AT the dog but in front of or next to them. I've used leashes, throw chains - once used a plastic chair when Tazer the Cocker was hot on the trail of a rabbit and heading right for the VERY busy street we live on.

I'd rather have a slightly traumatized dog (having a chair thrown at them) than a flattened one any day.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bunnies are a game for my dog too. I just check the yard first before I let him out because the bunnies are always in the same spot in my yard, under the bird feeder. It is not worth the aggravation and I would feel aweful if Panzer actually caught one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I went through a similar episode this weekend only with a largish wild bird (one of the egrets). Cain spotted the egret and started for it and I used his down command rather than the recall. It took 2 commands but he downed. I gave him a second to collect himself and then recalled him. This is the third time I've had to use the down with a major distraction. Definitely worth looking into the down training versus the recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts