German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the request of Lori and Susan - here is an update on Raphael, the white shepherd that Echo pulled from Whiteville in February.

He is still with me. He had to undergo Heartworm treatment and I still have to have him neutered. I've been taking it slow with him, because he is very timid. He is very bonded with me and does well with Daphne (from Murfreesboro). He is leery of new people and is still very cautious with men in the house. He used to growl and bark if startled or if he felt cornered. He is doing much better with that (thanks to lots of cheese). I've had a behaviorist come and evaluate him and have been working with him based on her recommendations. Mostly just slowly desensitizing him to people, making everything a positive experience and working on basic obedience for focus.

He loves car rides and walks, he walks great on a leash. He is unreactive to people and dogs when he sees them. If they approach him he hides behind me, but if they ignore him, he will sneak up and sniff. If you are sitting down and I'm near, he will sit for pets (which he loves). Just very easily startled and if you (well everyone but me) reaches over his head, he'll duck away.

When I first got him, he wouldn't eat, I had to coax him to eat. He would eat as if he might get punished. He would stretch out and try and sneak a few bites, but would startle away so quickly. Now he does the happy dance when I'm getting food and will eat kibble with no coaxing (I'm sure a lot of this is just feeling better with the HW being treated).

The other funny thing is I had some puppy fosters temporarily and Raphael was SO gentle and protective of the puppies. He was little Tobey's guardian. Tobey has Mega-E and Raphael watched him like a hawk and played SO nicely with him.

Also, Raphael is in the rescue video that Historian made. Lori, the shelter picture you sent is there, with a current picture.

He will be neutered in a week or so. He will always be shy I think, so he will need a special adopter who is willing to keep working withing him.

So here he is:

Raphael with his puppy Tobey:

With Daphne and Samson (other puppy)

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Raphael is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw his picture from the shelter - what a difference!!!!!

The picture of him and the puppy is so sweet!

You've done an awesome job with him!!!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
OMG Terry they all look wonderful! Nice job you have done.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
He is gorgeous!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey, I know that handsome boy! He was such a good boy on our ride to Molly's. He looks great! I love the picture of him under that puppy! I am glad to hear he is making good progress. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Donna (MatsiRed) volunteered to take some photos of Echo Dogs to help us with some fund raising activities.

She was here the other day and took some lovely portraits of Raphael (who is still with me). She also took photos of 7 other Echo dogs! I want to thank her for all the hard work (she was on the ground a lot and let me tell you, dogs aren't always the most cooperative subjects - it takes a lot of patience.) I also got to visit with Duke and Matsi ! Duke is doing wonderfully!

Anyway - I digress...here are some of Raphael's head shots

Sorry for so many, but I can't decide which I like better, and this isn't even all of them!

Terry

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
WOW - what a hunk! I couldn't decide which pic I liked best either. If I had to choose, it would be the last. Just look at the eyeliner around those stunning eyes. Great job - he looks soooooo good!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to do some digging for this thread.

Well - after 35 or so fosters, Raphael will be my first foster failure. I am going to be adopting him myself. I've lost my two personal dogs in the past couple of years and I'm ready to have one of my own again. Also, given Raphael's timidness and bond with me, I think he would have a very rough transition to a new home. I've been taking him to clicker training and he has done wonderfully. Here we are on his 'graduation night' (completion of level 1 class) and in a couple of weeks we are going to start a CGC prep class. There are a couple of exercises that will be challenging for Raphael given his timidness, but exposure and socialization is the biggest reason I'm taking the class. After that, I think we are going to take a beginners level agility class for confidence building. So, I guess another reason I'm adopting Raphael is to have a dog to continue training with. I will be the first to admit that I'm not the greatest trainer and I'm benefiting from this more than Raphael.

Here's my boy!

A long way from this:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm so happy for you both. I still love to see his pictures. 35 fosters and this is the first foster failure????? Wow - you are good! I failed on my 2nd! Way to go and thanks for taking this sweet baby and giving him a second chance and a wonderful life!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
So it is official, you are a foster failure!!!!! Welcome to the club!! LOL

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm OK with foster failures as long as they have room to continue fostering

Actually, one of the determining factors in keeping Raphael is that he has been good with new fosters coming in the house. My first test were some puppies that were supposed to only be here overnight left me with a puppy foster for a month. Raphael was wonderful with them. I have since graduated to bringing in adult females. The one scenario I haven't tried yet with Raphael is an adult male foster - a little concerned there.

I'm also going on 2 years with Daphne (from Murfreesboro) due to her PFs. So she is as good as permanent. My only concern is if I get one more unadoptable foster that I need to keep - I will be shut off from fostering (or need to find a new house and boyfriend :))

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
congratulations!!! He looks awesome!!!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Doesn't Terry look smashing with her new fashion accessory ... a bait bag!!

Raphael's photos don't do him justice. I've seen him and he is drop-dead gorgeous! He's also completely and totally in love with Terry.

Congratulations Terry and Raphael!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts