German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MIL has a three year old Pomeranian that has NO socialization whatsoever.
He freezes up and runs away from other dogs; with people he fear barks and won't interact with them.
He has bitten at least two people, but of course its acceptable because he's a small dog enter sarcasm here).

My MIL plans on getting him neutered within the next week and is expecting it to magically get rid of aaalll of this.

I told her it wouldn't, that he needs positive socialization.

Next she told me she would tske him to a dog park because it would help him with his fear of dogs because of all the ones he would play with.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well we can easily see where THAT will go... I feel for the Pom.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Couldn't agree more about that. People only have to take the time to learn instead of winging it.

Agree with people only having to take the time to learn. problem is, people have to be open and willing to learn. If winging it is what they've always done and things worked out fine, what's going to stop them from changing their methods? With a fearful dog, especially a small dog like a Pom in a dog park, behaving the way we can see him behaving.... it wont go well at all. Really feel bad for that Pom.

Sorry OP. Its gotta be rough knowing how all this will go down.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Agree with people only having to take the time to learn. problem is, people have to be open and willing to learn. If winging it is what they've always done and things worked out fine, what's going to stop them from changing their methods? With a fearful dog, especially a small dog like a Pom in a dog park, behaving the way we can see him behaving.... it wont go well at all. Really feel bad for that Pom.

Sorry OP. Its gotta be rough knowing how all this will go down.
You have a wonderful point. People have to be willing to learn. Sadly the thing that will stop them 99% of the time and force a change is an very negative experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts