German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
This is long but I do need some sort of advice, I also need to rant about this stupid, stupid woman I work with.

So, I work with this woman - I will call her "J" for now- and she is crazy. And I don't mean crazy in a good way. Crazy as in "could one day bring a gun to work crazy". She is the type of person that has more issues than all of the Time Warner Publications combined, her life is a complete disaster- financially, personally- she is ALWAYS making up crap, she has to "compete" with anything you say or do, she knows more than anyone and if you disagree with her about ANYTHING she gets mad and I don't mean just a little bit mad, I mean yelling at you type of angry.

When I first started working with her she felt the need to tell me ALL her personal business (one of those) bad marriage, house in foreclosure, blah, blah, blah. When I tried to give my opinion she started SHOUTING at me- no lie- "ARE YOU JUDGING ME?". :eek: Wow. I stopped that night and just started letting her crap go in one ear and out the other.

So, she has a 12 year old daughter who she spends all her money on. The child is overweight but J spends money on personal trainers and puts her in beauty pageants. The child has an iphone. That is not what I am upset about. J also has (or had) 4 dogs. The dogs lived outside in kennels. Okay, wasn't thrilled but wasn't going to get into it. Well, one is a pittie mix named Patton. Like I said, J loves to compete, be included, part of the crowd, whatever.

So, there is another girl we work with named Diana. Diana had a golden doodle. Diana and I both put a lot of time and training into our dogs. We take them to the parks, our dogs have met and played together, both of us love and adore our dogs. Needless to say we are always telling stories about our dogs at work. The hard stuff, funny ones, how much we spend, etc. I guess J is feeling left out. One day she said she decided to make Patton an inside dog. She brought him in, gave him a bath and her and her daughter were playing with him when he peed and pooped on her floor. She got mad and threw him back outside- her words- "threw him". Everyone sitting around the table when she said this promptly told her she needed to housebreak, crate train, etc. She said she didn't want to to all of that. He is an outside dog. She then started talking about how she wanted to get her daughter and "inside dog" Her daughter wants a dog now.:cry: A couple of months ago she tell us she is now chaining Patton as he keep escaping his kennel. He is now a chained dog. :cry::cry::cry:

FF to Sunday night. She starts talking about the other 3 dogs that live in the kennel. She NEVER mentions them so I can't imagine how bad their lives really are. She tells me they have escaped. I immediately ask was she looking for them. She says "oh yeah, we put up fliers". Yeah, right.
I told her I would be beside myself if one or both of mine disappeared. Her words to me were "well, those dogs should appreciate the beautiful place we live and if they can't then they can stay gone". I started to explain - for all the good it would do- that dogs don't think like that- when a doc came up and wanted to post a case ( I work in the OR). It was just as well.

WEEELLLL, then last night happens. This is the part that I need help with. Last night she mentions Patton. She mentions she had him in her swimming pool with her because she is letting the chlorinated water treat a NONHEALING wound on his head. Apparently one of the time he escaped his kennel he almost scalped himself and now has a big wound on the top of his head!! That the flies are now eating at!!! I asked her what the vet said. Her words-- "OH, I CAN"T AFFORD TO TAKE HIM TO A VET" Then in the NEXT breath she says she want to get her daughter a "REAL DOG"

I took a breath and asked "what exactly is a real dog". She just said "It is a long story" My friend Diana kicked me under the table to shut me up. We both know she is bat guano crazy.

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! I had to walk away. I was actually going to hit her. I did everything I could to stay away from her the rest of the shift. She is crazy but I was LIVID. But I HAVE to do something for that poor dog. Several people have said call animal control. I can do that but I don't know that will actually help the dog. They may ticket her but not really do anything or if they take the dog I am worried about what will happen to him since he is a pit mix. I am thinking about contacting Dogs Deserve Better and see if they can take him. HOW do I convince a crazy woman to give me her dog though, if they have room?? How do I control my contempt for her long enough to do this?? How do I work with this woman from here on out when I hate her with the white hot passion of ten thousand suns.

Sorry this is so long. I wanted to get the whole picture of this woman's craziness in here. I still have to do something to help this poor dog though.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
I really feel bad for you. The only thing to do is call animal control and either outright tell her "I am sorry but I would prefer to have a professional relationship with you and neither of us discuss our personal lives with one another." and if she starts to talk about it again, remind her once "I don't want to speak about personal life at work" and after that, walk away if you can.

Your other choice is to nod your head as she speaks and imagine she is being handcuffed for animal cruelty and completely ignore everything she says.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
well, this is probably the wrong answer, but could you just ....um....TAKE the dog? chances are she won't notice or care unless she finds out YOU have him and if you don't tell her who will know? The other possibility is to see if she'll release the dog to someone under the guise of helping HER with a problem.

Jelpy

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Maybe call animal control and the police? o-o I know that where I live the police can arrest for lack of care with an injury like that.
Otherwise, I agree with emiroxy...

Then again, Jelpy's idea is great xD Steal him, turn him into a rescue. The only issue would be ensuring she never knew O_O

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Gosh, it makes me crazy just reading about what you have to endure. I would seriously look for reassignment. She would make my life miserable.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
The only thing I can come up with is to tell her that since she wants a 'real dog', you'll take Patton off her hands. It could work,but people like that usually don't want to give up the dog they are complaining about.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, this is probably the wrong answer, but could you just ....um....TAKE the dog? chances are she won't notice or care unless she finds out YOU have him and if you don't tell her who will know? The other possibility is to see if she'll release the dog to someone under the guise of helping HER with a problem.

Jelpy

Actually Diana discussed the logistics of just taking Patton this morning. I still have to find a place for him to go since I don't have room for him and neither does Diana. But it is a possibility.

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
Taking the dog is theft. It is the wrong answer.

Offering to take the dog off her hands, is not an answer either as she will run out and get another.

You could call animal control and report it, but she will suspect the two of you, and that might not be good. But if you can't live with yourself without doing anything pro-active with the dog, then go ahead.

But what I would do with her is change my conversation. Accentuate the time and the money you put in your dogs. In private explain to your other friend that you are not bragging about your dog and how much you spend on him and how much time it takes you to do stuff with him, tell her you want to put it into this woman's head that it takes a lot of time and money to have a healthy, well adjusted, trained dog, in hopes that it will make it less romantic/desirable.

If this hag knows this it will not work. But instead of saying how you too your dog to the dog park or show and had a great time. Say that you need to get to dog class tonight, and have to pay for another session, etc.

Accentuate the negative, but act like it is what you love. I ran three miles this morning with my dog. Yeah I get up early because otherwise he will bark and chew in the house. So we get lots of exercise. we have training class tonight, but when we don't we run five miles at night. He loves it.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually selzer, both of us HAVE done that. We have talked about the time and money. In detail. For that reason. We did it as soon as she started talking about getting another "inside" dog because we wanted her to see that they don't get this way just by chance. When I was doing herding with my dogs I made sure to talk about how I had to get up at 5 am on my day off and what it cost me in gas to drive an hour and a half each way and be gone most of the day.
Diana talked about what her last group of classes costs and how hard it was to go in the morning after working all night with her dog.

This woman just felt "left out" when we would talk about anything about our dogs. The good, the bad, any of it. We finally stopped really talking about our dogs when she was around just hoping she would forget about it.

What seems normal to us isn't going to work on her because she isn't normal. I am aware she will probably go get another dog. She is probably going to do that anyway. But right now I am worried about Patton. I didn't like the fact he was living chained but I was able to make myself forget about it. The fact I am now aware he is chained up with a big open wound on the top of his head that the flies are probably eating away at and laying eggs in is just upsetting me way to much.

·
Registered
31,829 Posts
Call animal control.

I think it is super irresponsible for people to openly discuss stealing a dog for any reason on an internet site. We talk and talk on here, and I doubt those who are talking will actually go and do it. I certainly cannot afford to go up in front of the judge and pay a fine and be on probation or go to jail. My dogs need me. But some stupid kid somewhere with high ideals and no brains might just go and do something like that.

Just because someone is doing something you don't approve of, does not give you the right to go outside of the law.

Also, people talk. People often say things just to get you going. She knows that if she talks about the dog having a wound on its head, you are going to go through the roof. The dog might have a bug bite on its head, or nothing at all. Then you call AC, AC comes and wants to see the dog, and everything is hunky dory.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
While I do agree that she will probably get another dog I, am like you and it is Patton that would be causing me to lose sleep at night. I would have a hard time walking away from an animal that is suffering now because of what is as of yet non existent possible dogs in the future.

I hope you can find a way to help the poor thing. Are the other dogs gone?
As hard as it would be to do I think I would call animal control rather then allow a head wound to fester and probably get maggots.

Poor thing....People suck.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Jelpy
I know this guy who did exactly that. He rescued a Golden retreiver that gave birth to 9 puppies 8 weeks later. That same guy spent many weeks selecting perfect forever homes for each of those pups. One of the homes ended up not being a good home and the puppy was removed in the night.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, my first choice isn't to just take the dog. But I also know if I do, she isn't going to do a thing. The other 3 are gone and her only response is the dogs shouldn't have run off- they should have appreciated their beautiful home and stayed for that reason. She would honestly think Patton should have been grateful for his awesome home and if he wasn't than he could stay gone like the others.

I am also considering offering her money. She is broke. I am willing to bet if I offered her money she would take it. Heck, she is leaving early from work every day for 3 weeks to take her daughter to some theater camp. She has no vacation time so she is not getting paid when she leaves early. Then she turns around and complains that her paychecks are short and she doesn't have enough money.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i love when people are so broke but yet have money for iphones,pools,vacations etc...anyway....maybe you and your other friend at work should always talk about how much work and money and time is involved in dogs..maybe buy stating negatives it will stop her from getting another dog.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Honestly, my first choice isn't to just take the dog. But I also know if I do, she isn't going to do a thing. The other 3 are gone and her only response is the dogs shouldn't have run off- they should have appreciated their beautiful home and stayed for that reason. She would honestly think Patton should have been grateful for his awesome home and if he wasn't than he could stay gone like the others.

I am also considering offering her money. She is broke. I am willing to bet if I offered her money she would take it. Heck, she is leaving early from work every day for 3 weeks to take her daughter to some theater camp. She has no vacation time so she is not getting paid when she leaves early. Then she turns around and complains that her paychecks are short and she doesn't have enough money.

Maybe you can appeal to her sense of being heroic? You know someone with a sick child who that would be the perfect dog for, you wouldn't ask he would just be the perfect dog for........

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Every time you respond to her, you play into her drama. A short "I'm sorry. I don't agree with that" or no response at all is far better than feeding her.

I would find a better way than stealing the dog, even if i had to lie and make up a story similar to what Betty said above.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Call animal control. If she gets fined, so be it. If she puts up one of these stories again, call animal control again. Every time she gets talks and puts out one of the stories about her dog, she gets fined. She'll either get the correlation that talking about her dogs gets her fined, or get her dogs actual treatment. Who says electroshock therapy doesnt work?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'd contact all the rescues in the area and talk to them about the problem. See if you can find someone who'll take in Patton if you were able to rescue him.

Then I'd talk with Ms. Crazy Pants. I'd put on my best false face and be nice. I'd let her know that you're really concerned about his head injury. Tell her about bot flies. Tell her about worms growing under his skin. Mites, lice, ticks, fleas, parvo, mange. Tell her about the possiblity of pus ozing out of his eyes and nose. Tell her about his immune system failing (because of maggots growing in his head). I would super expose everything that 'could' happen due to the injury. You've known Ms. Crazy Pants for a while. What would be her 'trigger'? Demodex Mange?

Have your friend agree with you. You aren't telling her a lie. Patton will get ill. Patton does need medical attention.

She'll whimper (enjoying the attention) and say she doesn't have that kind of money. I'd bite that hook and tell her you know of an agency that'll take the dog in and treat it. And then move on it pronto before she can change her mind.

Yes - she'll most likely get another dog. But she'll do that anyway. You can't stop her.

In the end, you still have to work with her. Like her or not. It's never good to burn a bridge, but you can stop crossing it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree about contacting animal control or even the Humane Society.

Your other choice is to nod your head as she speaks and imagine she is being handcuffed for animal cruelty and completely ignore everything she says.
Or, imagine her being "thrown" into the kennel in her backyard.

One of the homes ended up not being a good home and the puppy was removed in the night.
I have read that several rescue organizations do a home visit before letting someone adopt a dog and then do another visit a month or so later. And, as part of the adoption agreement, they will remove the dog if the adopter isn't living up to their end of the deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts