German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't quite know where I should post this, and it is more of a rant/looking for anyone who has been through a similar thing. We live in a wonderful neighbourhood. I love all my neighbours, we all get along. But the people who back me are a terror for a number of reasons. Crazy fires at all hours (been reported by multiple neighbours), noise etc. That I can put up with.....but their dogs have been an escalating problem.

For several years their dogs have been getting through their fence. They back us. Their yard has a fence in poor condition, then there is an easement for hydro, then our fence. The dog has gotten through multiple times and has snapped at me and bit my dog. This year when it bit my dog, we went and talked to him about the seriousness of it, and to fix it. He acted so concerned and worried, and of course he would fix it, and to please approach him if we have any problems. He did a terrible job of course. He always lets them out and just fence run on all sides, barking non stop. I don't blame the dogs. They have no exercise or interaction in a day (and no discipline) so they are obsessed with getting through the fence.

It happened again last night. I got my dogs inside. And it bit me. I have video of the dog in the easement. I talked to the other neighbours who are also concerned and sick of all their bologna in general. We called the neighbour, my husband was really upset. The guy said if you don't like it call the police. Ok done. The police couldn't do much more than go talk to him and record the bite. Neighbour claims my husband scared him and his children. Sigh

So this morning I called animal control. I want this documented, so when this dog does bite a child (and I'm sure it will) there is a documented history. They said the dog will be quarantined for 10 days. Fine. Asked if I wanted fines imposed. I said no. I just want the problem rectified, that I am sick to my stomach that it has come to this. Now they have packed up and gone for the weekend. Which is probably a good thing....but it makes me wonder if animal control actually contacted them.

This whole situation makes me sick to my stomach. I'm terrified to be in my own backyard, I shouldn't feel like the one who has done something wrong. I want to move. My neighbours and my husband think I'm being ridiculous.

Anyone been through a similar thing?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I'm trying to get a visual on this. What condition is your fence in? How is the neighbors dog getting into your yard?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I never explained that. Our fence is 6 foot privacy all the way around. There is a gap at the bottom of our fence from frost heave. Just big enough to get it's mouth under. (Previously it just plowed right through our fence) So it is either jumping its fence or breaking through getting into the easement, and getting it's head under our fence. We had a large post there, but it was able to push it out of the way.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Maybe if you could post the video it wouldn't be so confusing. That is some really strange dog behavior. Does the dog have its shots?

·
Registered
31,354 Posts
It's coming in under your fence? Boy, a solar fencer and a strand of electrical fencing along the bottom would cure that.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
get some metal garden border and hammer it in at base of your fence.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
I could have written this myself, minus the dog bite and add in back to back (in)breedings in horrid conditions for any dog not to mention baby puppies, oh and they never scooped the poop - just raked it into a huge pile.

I tried the friendly neighbor approach and even helped them with their first litter, to no avail. finally, I went after them on all fronts - dangerous dogs, number of dogs, noise, neglect, illegal breeding, sanitations. flyers were made and distributed to neighbors with relevant agency numbers and complaint procedures. after all of that, 2yrs and 4 litters later - one of the females escaped and bit someone.... when animal control came to investigate the bite I believe they became visually aware of the dogs conditions..... a few days later, all the dogs were gone. I saw 2 on the local shelters website, a 6mo pup and the sire. not sure what happened to the girls but they were unsound.

so, there's hope. it may take awhile and things may get worse before better.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Years ago, I had a neighbor who had a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Pitbull mix. They also had a coon dog that they cared about because he was worth money, so they kept him chained up. And a husky bitch, who was not fixed and had 3 litters in a years' time: like July, January, and July. The bitch would run around free and tear up my garbage, and tried to live in my shed. I complained to her, and she chained the bitch. 2 days later they told me she had puppies. There were our of them. It was January, and the bitch was outside in 10 degree below zero weather with nothing but an igloo dog house and some straw. The pups survived. They kept her chained.

She would break the chain, and I would fix it so she wouldn't get smooshed in the road. One day in February, the wind took the dog house and flung it down the ravine, leaving the pups in straw, but no shelter. I banged on their door, they were not home. I climbed down the ravine, and slipped in the mud, caught a tree and hung on, so I wouldn't go into the river. I started calling. I am in the sticks, and no one is out there, but my Amish neighbor across the road was in his timber, and I got my dogs barking and barking and called and called and finally he came to investigate. He went and got a rope, and I was able to climb out. He pulled the dog house up, and we put it over her pups.

One day six months later, I heard a screech and two of the pups were in the road, and they died. I went and got the black one, and told them I would take it. I got it its shots and neutered it, let it heal, and took it to the shelter. They looked at me like scum. They were surprised when I told them the pup was neutered though. They said they knew someone who liked border collie mixes. The sire of that one I think was a shepherd/border collie dog that hung around.

But it was the ridgeback/pitt mix that had me calling the police. Every time I would take one of my dogs to my car, it would charge us, trying to kill my dogs. Their kid finally told me they have to keep it chained because it fights with their dogs. Nice. But it would break the chains, and charge. I called the dog warden. The guy came out but then said he didn't realize they owned the dog, thought it was a stray. Since they owned the dog, it wasn't a problem. Huh? Ok, I called the sheriff. They told me to shoot it. I kept calling. Finally the dog warden told me to take pictures and if he has to go out there again, he would fine them. I took pictures. I did not call though. The dog was eating my tree. EATING IT.

The lady lost her home and moved out with her kids and her dogs.

Sorry you are having a similar problem.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Wood's not good. Wire works... when you consider what a dog does to a large bone, wood's not any stronger. Wire works. I had a similar problem with my last GSD - a neighbor dog digging along the bottom- enough to get this great dane lab mix thru (still chained to his tree). I came home from work one day and he was in my yard with my GSD - he freaked because of a T-storm and from that day on...my dog freaked at T storms. I had to put a leash on him and walk him around to his house and knock on the door to return their dog.... (that's when I met my neighbor Roger - with group "Kansas") but that's another story:)

Anyway..they make a wire that you can get at most places that sell hardware/fencing etc. It has 1/4 inch grid, galvanized and 24". Get a length of that, bend it in half (12 inches up against the fence and 12 inches on the ground) ... Bury the 12" on the ground in a few inches of soil and lay a few of those regular concrete blocks on top. For the portion up and against the wood fence - you can secure that portion by hammering nails and bending them over for safety.

I did this and it solved the problem, long term. What I also did - just as a deterrent was soak the wood and ground/bricks with 1/2 gallon of weak solution vinegar - to kill or neutralize any weird dog smells from paw digging and make it a "start fresh zone". Total cost - about $14.00.:)

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I have wood privacy fencing around my kennels, allowing a yard of sorts in my back yard. It is sufficient for playing with and training dogs in that area. It is not sufficient for leaving dogs in while I go in and cook dinner, or go to work. If you are outside when your dog is outside, you shouldn't have to fix your fence because your neighbor's dog is coming through it into your yard.

I agree that the solar powered electric wire probably would work. Also, I agree that wire fencing would be stronger and probably stop the neighbors dog. However, if you are going with chain-link to improve your fencing, 13 gage is not strong enough. 9 gage is better. Depending how large your yard is, you might go with panels of welded fencing.

Or you can get tough on your neighbor, and continue to call animal control until they fix their fence and stop their animal from getting to your yard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dogs are supervised 24/7. They are never left alone. I agree @selzer. He should be ensuring his dog does not leave his property. I shouldn't have to do more to protect my property from attack. However that said, my dogs are my life, and I don't ever want anything to hurt them, so we have to make it a bit more secure for the safety of our family. I will run some of these great ideas past my husband. He is working night shift, so we won't be able to get to it for a few days. I have to toughen up and not feel guilty about the authorities having to become involved. I didn't create this situation. I still feel horrible as I am a nice person, who tries to see the good in everyone and tries to live a quiet peaceful life with my dogs.

I feel so bad for this dog. It just lives to fence run and bark, and try to see what is going on in our yard. I don't think it is a horrible dog, it just has never had the attention and training it deserves. I think this behaviour stems from boredom and frustration. I'm sure it makes that dog nuts hearing me playing with my dogs outside all the time, squeaky toys, training...having a fun life together. Plus anytime it makes it from the fence, there is a huge commotion - I'm sure it all plays into this dogs behaviour, and I feel bad it's paying the price for it's owners negligence.

I don't even want to be in my yard anymore :( People suck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts