German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my cousin got her Rottweiler, my GSD was her favorite, she loved everything about him and told me all the time that she couldn't believe how well behaved he was and how he was so smart.

Now that she has the Rottweiler (Rottenweiler is what I like to call him) all of a sudden my dog annoys her and it seems like she is always telling him to go to his kennel (if he gets told to go to his kennel he will and he will stay there until you say "ok" to release him). This is bothers me because she says it to him all the time.

Now I will admit that her dog bothers me. I feel like I yell at him a billion times a day. He is a PITA! I like the dog, I pet him and take him outside and I give him treats but he can be extremely annoying. He is always up to no good. He chases the cats, he bites my dogs tail, he tries to mount my dog, he puts his bone on my dogs head and chews on it, he is always climbing the cat condo to eat the cat food, he barks at the cats, he jumps on the furniture, he knocks over the water bowl, he still gets into my room and jumps on my bed and drools all over it (my cousin isn't helping me with training him to stay out of my room and she keeps forgetting to shut my door) he jumps up on people, he wipes his big fat drooly face all over my friends, my dog, me and my furniture! :sick:

He is a monster! I dont have to deal with him alot but when I do, I am annoyed by him.

Sinister almost never gets in trouble and now she is always yelling at him. When the Rottenweiler bites my dogs tail or mounts him MY DOG is the one getting sent to his kennel!!!!! :mad: I told her that's not going to fly anymore, my dog, my house, my rules. When the Rott acts up, he gets punished, not my dog.

When I take the dogs outside they NEVER leave the yard, not once. But she has been telling me that when she takes the dogs out Sinister leaves the yard and ran down the alley. I dont know if she is lying to me because I always yell at her dog and she knows that her dog is not well behaved and she wants to get my dog in trouble or if he really is leaving the yard and doesn't listen to her.

When my friends come over they request that I leave the Rott in his crate in her room, they dont want to deal with his drool, farts, jumping up and me constantly correcting him while we are trying to talk or watch a movie. When I told my cousin this she about had a heart attack she was so angry. She said "I let your dog out when I am home, so you need to let my dog out." I told her "Yes, you will let my dog out because this is his house and he is the one that is well behaved and my friends request that your dog remains in his crate because he doesn't know how to function correctly." :mad:

On saturday I had a friend over and so did my cousin. Her friend brought his 4 year old son and her Rottweiler knocked him down and ran over him like he was a bowling ball and the kid was a pin. He even bit at the kids hand. She yelled at him and gave him a correction with his choke chain but it didn't even phase him and he just did it again and again. Until the kids dad requested that the dog be put in his crate :p. Well she didn't put him in his crate. She left me to watch him while they sat in her room. :mad:

So now it seems we are choosing sides. We are going to have to sit down and talk about this. I dont want her taking Sinister outside with her anymore. I think that we should just keep them completely seperated. She does her thing with her dog and I do my thing with my dog.

It feels good to say what I have been wanting to say.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
From all your posts about various dogs, it really sounds like you should be a one dog household. Some people just aren't cut out to have multiple dogs. He may be your cousins dog, but he's really a household dog because you all live in the house together.

You have to learn to see the good in other dogs, and stop comparing them to Sinister. You may think Sinister is perfect, but it's kind of like the old saying, - for every hot woman out there, some man thinks she's a - fill in the blank as you please -.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't think the situation is all that uncommon. I personally cannot stand most peoples' dogs, including GSDs. On the flip side, most of my family and friends do not like dogs, especially GSDs. For me it's not so much about choosing sides, but keeping my dogs to myself and other people keeping their dogs to themselves. I do not let other people take my dogs out off leash or tell them when to go to their kennels unless it is a dogsitter I trust and am paying to do so.

I take it you live together? If so I kind of agree with Rerun. It's to be expected that some dogs are better behaved than others. I have this now with my 3-4 dogs living in my home. Often I say jokingly, "Why can't you act more like so-and-so?" But that's completely normal, and if one or more people in the home can't handle it then there should be one dog or no dogs together. My husband's dog is very different from my dogs but for every "bad" thing about him there are several good qualities and he's a great dog for my husband's personality. I can't expect to have all dogs behaving the exact same way, and even though we're a married couple we still like different qualities in dogs and can make it work.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think the situation is all that uncommon. I personally cannot stand most peoples' dogs, including GSDs. On the flip side, most of my family and friends do not like dogs, especially GSDs. For me it's not so much about choosing sides, but keeping my dogs to myself and other people keeping their dogs to themselves. I do not let other people take my dogs out off leash or tell them when to go to their kennels unless it is a dogsitter I trust and am paying to do so.

I take it you live together?
Oh yes, sorry I didn't mention that, yes, we do live together. It's my house and she moved in almost 2 months ago. I love my cousin and her dog can be very good when he wants to be, he's actually pretty smart and a sweetheart but he gets into alot of trouble. But it seems like every time my dog moves it irratates her? If that makes sense? He never irratated her before she got the Rott but now it seems like she cant stand him and he isn't doing anything wrong?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Ok, kinda looking outside the box a little....have you considered taking an OB class together? Cousin and her Rot, and you and Sin? It can be fun together and you both learn a little more about eachother's dogs.

My first OB class my sister took her older Aussie and the four of us attended the class together. It made 'social' walks etc. eaiser as we knew what both of us needed to work on. Admittedly, her Aussie was very well behaved and was just a bit rusty on some things - it really helped as we tend to spend a lot of time together.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Perhaps some "house rules"?

The dog that acts up gets a time out in the kennel.

If the Rottie is in your room, cousin washes your bedding and vice versa.

"On saturday I had a friend over and so did my cousin. Her friend brought his 4 year old son and her Rottweiler knocked him down and ran over him like he was a bowling ball and the kid was a pin. He even bit at the kids hand. She yelled at him and gave him a correction with his choke chain but it didn't even phase him and he just did it again and again. Until the kids dad requested that the dog be put in his crate :p. Well she didn't put him in his crate. She left me to watch him while they sat in her room."

Imo, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen and if you own the home, it will be against you from what I understand.

Yeah, you're going to have to talk this out. I think a combination of blunt (dog and kids) and tact (farts and drools) is what might work - at least that's a start!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, kinda looking outside the box a little....have you considered taking an OB class together? Cousin and her Rot, and you and Sin? It can be fun together and you both learn a little more about eachother's dogs.

My first OB class my sister took her older Aussie and the four of us attended the class together. It made 'social' walks etc. eaiser as we knew what both of us needed to work on. Admittedly, her Aussie was very well behaved and was just a bit rusty on some things - it really helped as we tend to spend a lot of time together.
I highly doubt she would be willing to do OB classes. She thinks she is doing a terrific job at training and I know that she will not pay for them. She is filling out a voucher to get him neutered for free because she doesn't want to pay for his neuter.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps some "house rules"?

The dog that acts up gets a time out in the kennel.

If the Rottie is in your room, cousin washes your bedding and vice versa.

"On saturday I had a friend over and so did my cousin. Her friend brought his 4 year old son and her Rottweiler knocked him down and ran over him like he was a bowling ball and the kid was a pin. He even bit at the kids hand. She yelled at him and gave him a correction with his choke chain but it didn't even phase him and he just did it again and again. Until the kids dad requested that the dog be put in his crate :p. Well she didn't put him in his crate. She left me to watch him while they sat in her room."

Imo, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen and if you own the home, it will be against you from what I understand.

Yeah, you're going to have to talk this out. I think a combination of blunt (dog and kids) and tact (farts and drools) is what might work - at least that's a start!
I didn't even think that that could be a lawsuit against me! :eek:

I will have to talk to her about that! Either the kid doesn't come over or her dog is crated while he is there.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont get me wrong, I dont hate the dog, I like him, he just does alot of irratating things and I dont tolerate it as well as I should, he's not my dog so I am more annoyed with him.

But I dont get why my dog was everything she wanted and then she gets her Rott and now all of a sudden she acts like my dog is the one acting up and all of a sudden he is irratating her. :confused:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Only training will help your situation.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I would just institute a rule that you deal with your dog, and she deals with hers. I would worry myself sick about Sinister running off exploring when you aren't there. He may stay in the yard with you, but apparently doesn't with her. He doesn't respect her.

Treat each dog like their owner is the only one living there. Crates in respective roomates room (sin with you, his crate in her room) and if you are home you deal with you dog, and if she's home she deals with hers. If you are in the living room with your friends, she keeps her dog crated or gated out of the room and vice versa. I don't think it's right to tell her that it's your house and she has to take care of your dog when she's home, but that you don't want to deal with hers when she's not home.

Unless an emergency comes up (someone can't get home from work on time, etc) I wouldn't be dealing with the other ones dog, given how frustrated you are with Biff and she with Sin. You may think he's perfect,a nd she thinks her dog is perfect, so no one is cutting anyones dog any slack from the sound of it. Her dog can't help farting and drooling (well, diet could help gas, if it's excessive). It sounds to me like you're picking on the dog a bit when none of this is really his fault.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Only training will help your situation.
Agreed. Train your cousin to understand whose house it is and train your cousin to restrain her dog.:cool:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would just institute a rule that you deal with your dog, and she deals with hers. I would worry myself sick about Sinister running off exploring when you aren't there. He may stay in the yard with you, but apparently doesn't with her. He doesn't respect her.

Yes, I am worried about him running off, he has never left the yard before so I dont know if she is lying about him leaving the yard or if he really is leaving the yard, either way it worries me.

Treat each dog like their owner is the only one living there. Crates in respective roomates room (sin with you, his crate in her room) and if you are home you deal with you dog, and if she's home she deals with hers. If you are in the living room with your friends, she keeps her dog crated or gated out of the room and vice versa. I don't think it's right to tell her that it's your house and she has to take care of your dog when she's home, but that you don't want to deal with hers when she's not home.

Sin's crate is in my room and the Rott's crate is in her room. I didn't tell her she needs to take care of my dog and I dont expect her to, I just want her to let him out of his crate so he can move freely around the house. She doesn't need to take him outside, just let him out of his crate. It's not that I dont want to deal with him, I let him out when I am home, but when my friends are over they request that he stay crated when they are over.

Unless an emergency comes up (someone can't get home from work on time, etc) I wouldn't be dealing with the other ones dog, given how frustrated you are with Biff and she with Sin. You may think he's perfect,a nd she thinks her dog is perfect, so no one is cutting anyones dog any slack from the sound of it. Her dog can't help farting and drooling (well, diet could help gas, if it's excessive). It sounds to me like you're picking on the dog a bit when none of this is really his fault.
I understand that Sinister is not perfect, but she always thought he was, she adored Sinister and now that she has her dog she is annoyed by him and that's what I dont get?

It is the food that is causing all of his gas and she wont switch the dog food brand. I know he cant handle the drooling part but he literally wipes his face all over everything, it's absolutely disgusting. Those are not the only reasons why I am irratated by him. He is constantly biting my dogs tail, chasing my cats, attempts to mount my dog, he climb up my large cat condo to eat the cat food, he goes in my room and jumps onto my bed, jumps up on the furniture (he is not allowed on any furniture except my cousins bed) jumps up on people, runs in the house and crashes into things, he uses his strength to push around my dog and people.

We both are constantly correcting him and it doesn't even phase him, he goes right back into what he wasn't supposed to be doing.

I guess I am irratated with him when I really should be irratated with my cousin.

I just dont like seeing my dog get corrected when he did nothing wrong.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
From all your posts about various dogs, it really sounds like you should be a one dog household. Some people just aren't cut out to have multiple dogs. He may be your cousins dog, but he's really a household dog because you all live in the house together.

You have to learn to see the good in other dogs, and stop comparing them to Sinister. You may think Sinister is perfect, but it's kind of like the old saying, - for every hot woman out there, some man thinks she's a - fill in the blank as you please -.
I was thinking the same thing. It seems things with the Rottie are going much the same way things went with Rogue.

The only way this situation is going to get better is if both people in the household can be consistent with expectations involving both dogs. This will require both people involved be willing to comprimise a bit, put their personal opinions aside and come up with a plan that works for both dogs. Keeping them separated is one idea, although if the cousin is a long term roommate, be aware that this will almost guarantee the dogs won't get along once the Rottie matures. Things are already tense between the dogs (no wonder!), once they live separate lives for awhile and the Rottie is more matures they will likely view each other as unwelcome guests if they get out together. Of course, they may end up needing to be separated anyway so crate and rotate isn't a bad idea to get them used to.

This sort of reminds me of siblings I have had in 4H over the years arguing over who has the better dog. :help: It's not a competition, all dogs have their good and bad points and what one person finds endearing another person doesn't. My husband has a corgi - not what I would have picked for myself but he's a nice dog. If you are going to live with other people, you have to learn to compromise.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Isn't the Rottie a puppy? Puppies suck come on you know that, and rotties are drool monsters- that never goes away. Obviously if the rottie is climbing the cat condo, knocking people over, and bugging sin all the time it is bored and probably not properly exercised. How often is the pup exercised and for how long?

I personally would never allow someone to correct my dog, crate them, or walk them- make those chores off limits period. The bottom line is if you two have very different philosophies on dog rearing this will be an ongoing argument no one can win. It's your home and her dog so eventually I think you'll be looking for a new roommate:(

·
Registered
800 Posts
Isn't the Rottie a puppy? Puppies suck come on you know that, and rotties are drool monsters- that never goes away. Obviously if the rottie is climbing the cat condo, knocking people over, and bugging sin all the time it is bored and probably not properly exercised. How often is the pup exercised and for how long?

I personally would never allow someone to correct my dog, crate them, or walk them- make those chores off limits period. The bottom line is if you two have very different philosophies on dog rearing this will be an ongoing argument no one can win. It's your home and her dog so eventually I think you'll be looking for a new roommate:(
Agreed! Your cousin finding her own place would solve the problem.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Like GSDs, Rotties are not a breed for everyone and from all I've seen they need very strong, consistent leadership and it sounds like your cousin isn't doing this with her puppy. If she doesn't start training the dog, enforcing the house rules, getting a handle on his behavior, it sounds like she's going to have some serious problems with him in the future and these problems may end up involving you and Sinster.

If it were me, and I know this is tough to consider, but I would insist that she start training the dog and following thru with behavior modification or that she find another place to live.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
obviously Biff isnt getting the training, restrictions, and exercise he needs. I will admit i cant stand most other peoples dogs because they're untrained, ill behaved brats. Like one of our friends has a little dog she is convinced is a shiba inu mix (so not even close but story for a different place). Her dog is sweet and she loves my kids but she just does NOT listen. They say she's trained and she knows all these great tricks and blah blah blah but she doesnt. They dont enforce anything. They dont set boundaries. She's one of those dogs i cant stand being around because she just doesnt listen. Your cousin needs to step back and see HER dog is the problem. And i think you should possibly put it out there that despite your relationship, if she refuses to train her dog to behave properly and behave often if not constantly, she's out and so is her dog. Its your house and you are her landlord. YOU set the rules. its a sad fact of renting but its true. If she refuses to follow the rules and continues to get angry about things, out she goes. Good luck finding some place to live that allows rotts. especially ill behaved rotts. I love the breed. I really do but THAT particular dog not only sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, from him continually knocking over that kid and nipping him, its only a matter of time. Also the fact that people ask Biff be crated when they're over should say a great deal as well.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
You are angry with your cousin. Do not take it out on her dog, even if she is taking it out on yours.

You agreed to let the cousin live in your house and have a dog.

I think that you need to encourage you cousin to take her dog to classes if she wants the dog to live in the house. Tell her that your insurance rates are going to go up, and worse yet, if the dog does hurt someone, you might be sued. So you want her to train the dog and get a canine good citizen certificate on the dog (to show the insurance company).

It does not matter if your insurance company does not give a rats left butt cheek about CGC certificates, you cousin does not know this, and her dog needs training.

You need to STOP taking your frustration with your cousin out on her dog. And you have to STOP letting her yell at or punish your dog. Do not yell at her dog. Yelling does no good. If you cannot take the dog out back without it going out of the yard unless you yell at it, leave him on line, on a long line. Tell the dog to come, if it does not pull the line as a reminder. Do not yell. It is NOT helping.

Master yourself and treat the dog with good leadership. It is NOT the dog's fault you have a situation to deal with, even if the dog is involved and even key in the problem.

If she yells at your dog, try not to hold the, this is my house thing over her head, it is hard to live in someone else's house, but tell her, "Hey, don't yell at my dog!" No explanations, no this is HIS house. Just don't yell at my dog. If she cannot handle that, I would wait until the next day and have her sit down at the table when everyone is calm and nothing else is going on, and then tell her that you will NOT have her yelling at your dog. If she cannot get that, then she can pack up her belongings and her dog and go. You are not asking for miracles from her, just asking her to NOT yell at your dog. Maybe tell her that it is not helpful, and makes things worse.

My sister comes home after having her child at her mother in laws. They have a white scruffy medium sized mutt. The dog snaps at her baby who just turned a year old in December. She brings the kid over to my mother's house, and the first thing she does is start yelling at Cujo. Cujo has been STELLAR around her baby and my other sister's young ones. But she comes in and immediately starts yelling at the dog. We stop her dead. Hey, hey hey! Don't yell at that dog.

People take crap out on dogs. It stinks that they do. But we do not have to put up with it.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I can understand where you're coming from very well. And if it were my house, I would definitely lay down rules. The dog that's behaved gets to stay out, and the one that's not has to get crated when he's not welcome. It is your house and you are doing her a favor by letting her live there. If she can't do you a favor by training her dog, then she doesn't need to have as much freedom. I would set the rule that she take care of her dog and you take care of Sin. No giving each other's dogs specific commands like Kennel, etc. and no taking the other dog outside without consent.

You have every right to enforce rules in your house and set them. You'll be held liable for anything the dog may do, after all.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts