German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe how much he has grown in the last 4 months! Both physically and emotionally. He turned six months on 4/14 and he is currently 69 pounds. The dog knows how I feel before I do. He hardly leaves my side unless it's to eat, take care of business or chase a tennis ball. I can't even quantify how much I love this guy.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
What a good looking boy you have...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
They really shoot up between four and six months.

He's a fine looking dog.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag Ranger!

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's one beautiful GSD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to turn this into Ranger's Thread. That way I can post all of my "proud dad" pics and updates in one place. I'm going to send a PM, but if a mod strolls through, please change the thread name for me.

Ranger is seven months old now, and to me he is still just a goofy puppy. All he wants to do is play and get attention. He does have a serious side, though. While on our property, or inside the house, he turns into a protection dog at the first scent or sound of something out of place. When he does this, he is deadly serious about it. I make him go to his place and sit before I open the door for anyone. He remains on guard and aloof towards strangers, but makes no ill moves, as he did once a couple of months ago.

Let's just say that he read my body language, could tell I was upset, and the next guy through the door was (correctly) targeted as the reason for my bad vibes. I caught the by the collar, mid-air, and redirected him outside. I decided at that moment that the real training had to begin.

I've been relying on what little skills I have from training hunting dogs for many years (not much help), the book "Schutzhund Obedience, Training In Drive," and what I can pick up on the internet. He will be meeting the K9 Handler/Trainer soon, and the real work will begin then.

For what little skills I have, we already have the basics down, with and without verbal commands. I was able to get him to sit and stay with a 30 foot recall several times the other day. My wife and teenage son work with him some, but not to the degree that I do. He doesn't listen to them as well, either. I need to make myself out of sight when they are working him, because he wants to focus on me instead of them.

He's a very finicky eater. We had trouble in the very beginning transitioning him from the Puppy Chow/raw diet the breeder had him on to a better kibble. Eventually he ate Purina Pro Plan for Large Breed Puppies well, but recently he's been turning his nose up at it. I started mixing in a half a can of moist food, like Call of the Wild, etc, and now he gobbles it up. My wife laughs at me and says I spoil him. Maybe I do, but I have a bond with this dog like I've never had before. He is my 70 pound baby, and he is my "partner," even though I am not a first responder of any kind. It's weird, but true.

Surveying his domain

With "his" kitty

With "his" baby

He doesn't do well with car rides. Note the drool after a 3/4 mile trip.

Strangely enough, he loves riding in the back of the truck (tethered of course). He doesn't bound around and act crazy. He just sits there and looks all over the place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seemed to. He didn't even really drool. The funny thing is when I first got him, he rode just fine. Then a couple of months ago he could barely make it out of our subdivision. He actually acts excited to get in the back of the truck now, though. I'm stoked that I can take him with me again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ranger at 10 months. He's in a skinny phase right now, at 92 pounds. I try to feed him twice a day, but half the time he turns his nose up at one of the feedings. He's still my velcro dog.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I personally don't believe in tying in the bed. Seen quite a few dogs die tethered in a pickup. If you do feel the need to have I'm tied in, would be best to choose a body harness. If for any reason they go out of the back, it's not a pretty ending.
Great looking pup, would feel horrible if I never made the suggestion and some idiot ran into you or something of that nature

Howdy from Idaho!
Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden
08/03/13

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input Jay. We usually only go to the park 3/4 mile from my house or the pet store about 2 miles away. He hasn't went anywhere with me recently. I am on the lookout for a steel bed box like I used to have years ago when I ran coonhounds every night. If I can find o e of those he will go everywhere with me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Right on. One possibility is to find a hot rod shop with a shear, they can build you one to your liking for next to nothin. Got a buddy in town who does rat rods who is gonna do mine whenever i can figure out which pickup I want to go for.
Speaking of which, Is yours a mega cab? Or just 4door?

Howdy from Idaho!
Oliver Kahn der Fasan Suchenden
08/03/13

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a crew cab. I don't think they make a mega cab any more, even in the HD lineup. I had a 2008 mega cab, and the current crew is almost as big.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts