German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new puppy has been with us for 4 weeks. He is in good health and is up to date with his shots, he is now 12 weeks old. About two weeks ago we where on a walk when he suddenly yelped and started to chase his tail like something was hurting him. This has happened again and again maybe 3 times a day everyday, it lasts only a few seconds and then he seems fine. Sometimes he yelps and tries to scratch his hip/tail area and sometimes he yelps and just runs into his crate.

The vet said it was probably just a flea that was freaking him out but he's been on advantage for 3 weeks and I see no fleas or flea dirt on him. Today it happened in the living room, he screeched and ran into the bedroom right in to his crate. He is perfectly normal otherwise, he is very bold and not scared of loud noises, people or other dogs. He is not limping, I've gently touched all of his joints and he seems to have no discomfort.

has anyone ever experienced something like this? should I be worried?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with your vet - a flea that bit him before the Avantage kicked in. If you can try to distract him when he does that it will help break the cycle. His favorite toy - or throw a ball or call him - reward him for coming. I would also have him on his leash - and he would need to follow me around so he can't go off on his tangents that way I could distract him easier. Since he is scratching that area, but not licking it, some type of anti itch spray or cream may help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that's reassuring, he seems to actually be doing it less and less as time goes by.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We have a talker at home, it's less now at 16 weeks, but he will do random yelps. Means nothing in his case, sometime he is just upset with his toy or a sound on TV...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts