German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, If you read my other post about dog breeds, then you know I picked an australian shepherd. So, I needed to convince my dad to like them and so I made a website! Go check it out! Australian Shepherds - Home

(SORRY this has nothing to do with GSD)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
interesting. check your spelling however. I assume you meant in sight instead of insight.

also, I wouldn't go so far as to say they're like mini GSDs...

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
yes, I've had aussie mixes and we have a lot of aussies in our club. Not really much in common with GSDs. Definitely not more than any other herding breed.

Now, what I have always heard described as the most "GSD-like" is the corgi. I have friends who call them "GSDs without legs" lol

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have owned 2 Aussies and fostered another 6 Aussies. They are great dogs but they are all different. Personality really depends on the particular dog. There are certainly some general character traits and I do find that my GSD is a lot more Aussie-like than lab-like. I am not sure where you got that number scale from but I take issue with a couple of your numbers. First of all Aussies get a solid 5 when it comes to shedding. They shed continously every day of the year. You will have Aussie hair everywhere. I also think that they are fairly high on the barking scale - once again that depends on the particular dog. But they are herders and herders tend to bark. They also tend to nip heels.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I also have aussies, I don't think I'd compare them as being similar to gsd's, but they do 'compliment' gsd's. They give as good as they get when it comes to rough playing.

I have found mine to have more of an "I work for myself" attitude vs the gsd who has a "I'll work for YOU" attitude.

They don't 'shed' like a gsd, but they do require good grooming, the longer furred ones, get mats, poopie butts if you don't keep them groomed well. I find , especially my show line girl, has to be brushed out daily, their fur seems to not want to drop like my gsd's, but require brushing it out. shorter furred versions, yes, tend to drop more like a gsd.

Definitely comic relief, they can have BIG mouths, which neighbors might not appreciate.

They are smart dogs, great trick dogs. Mine tho, even tho they are very devoted and easy to train, are much more 'self serving', than my gsd's..

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yeah, I'd not call them mini-GSDs either.

The shedding is different. We have to keep more of eye on Autumn's coat as the undercoat, as it sheds out, tends to get matted in the longer coarser outer coat. Whereas my short/stock coated GSDs just shed, a lot, every day but they don't get matted, the hair just falls on the floor.

So in short GSDs need their areas vacuumed more frequently and the Aussies need to be brushed out more frequently.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was just a quickly written report. I know they aren't considered mini GSD's and all that, but I wanted him to think they are like them. :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It was just a quickly written report. I know they aren't considered mini GSD's and all that, but I wanted him to think they are like them. :)
Just a thought, but IMHO you should be honest with your dad ... don't gloss over the good, or bad, parts about owning a dog or specific breed traits. Don't say it's like a GSD when it's not. Ensure that he'll know what to expect ... you don't want to be put in the awkward position of getting your Aussie only to have your dad make you return him because he's nothing like the dog you presented to him.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Just a thought, but IMHO you should be honest with your dad ... don't gloss over the good, or bad, parts about owning a dog or specific breed traits. Don't say it's like a GSD when it's not. Ensure that he'll know what to expect ... you don't want to be put in the awkward position of getting your Aussie only to have your dad make you return him because he's nothing like the dog you presented to him.

couldn't agree more. Total honesty about the breed. Don't sugar coat anything and don't mix things around to make it sound perfect. Lay out the good, the bad, and the ugly because nothing is perfect.

Also, since the website you made is viewable to the general public, you want to make sure your facts are straight because not only are you lumping two breeds together, your website could also lead others off the correct path knowledge-wise. Aussie's and GSDs are tough dogs. They are herding breeds. They do work. They are very smart. But there are also extreme differences between them. If you want your dad to view aussies as a breed that's acceptable in the house, drop the comparisons between them and GSDs. He's already nixed a GSD because of their size. Comparing the two can be viewed as self serving and that alone could easily change a parents perspective on either breed not to mention their answer on whether they'll allow it or not. From the sounds of things, your dad is a lot like my mom was. If I so much as mentioned something in comparison of anything I wanted, the answer automatically became no and that was the end of talk on the subject.

If your dad wants a report on the breed, make it factual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts