German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not alarmed, I’m rather amused. Seiran has taken to “cleaning” her toys before she will actively play with them. When we open the toy box and tell the dogs to “go pick a toy,” Seiran will grab what toy she wants, walk over to the one of the water dishes, drop it in, move it a bit with her paw, and then pick it up and bring it back for playtime. I think I may have gotten an OCD clean freak ???

ETA: we run all toys through the dishwasher once a week if they are not cloth, and run the ones that are cloth through the washer without detergent, just on high heat. So toys do get washed regularly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Daisy also does this--mostly because it prevents Ellie from getting what Daisy wants to play with, and partially because Daisy loves water bucket diving. We literally have always used 3 gallon water buckets for our dogs, it's something we have in abundance and it keeps colder longer.

But water bucket diving, like bobbing apples, is a messy play behaviour, and the last thing I need is to slip and faceplant. Not sure how I'm going to teach Daisy not to do this, as she loves water, loves hoses, loves getting soaked. She's a sweet weirdo.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Gotta wash those germs off!!
It sounds very cute and smart. :)

Watch out for slippery floors from the toy though...
don't take a fall!

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is adorable!

I have had dogs that drowned their loveys :0

And my friend had a GSD that flooded her basement. He dropped his ball in the downstairs toilet and in his efforts to get it out, flushed.
Oh man, that super sucks for your friend! We have self closing hinges on almost every door in the house so they can’t get into bathroom or bedrooms. They will eat everything out of the trash can in the bathrooms, and all the crotch part of the kids panties. And the kids are HORRIBLE at closing doors.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta wash those germs off!!
It sounds very cute and smart. ?

Watch out for slippery floors from the toy though...
don't take a fall!
We raised the water dishes and put water absorbing mats under them, so very little water gets on the floor. She only grabs the plush toys if we are going outside with them, and for some reason hasn’t started washing those yet. I say yet, because as soon as I typed this out, it probably means she will the next time it’s toy time ?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
LOL! My male GSD would dunk his toys in the outdoor water bucket I left outside for my dogs in the summer. He would then immerse his whole head to get it out of the bucket.

I had to clean and refill the bucket daily because of this habit of his! :rolleyes2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts