German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to make two separate threads for these, so I put them here. :)

1. Do you guys notice a 'greasy' feeling on your hands after petting certain dogs? All of our dogs besides Ozzy leave a nasty little coat of greasy stuff on your hands when you pet them. :sick:

2. Do you tolerate bad behavior from other people's dogs? I know I do. I allow other people's dogs to jump on me or lick me or do whatever, as long as the owner is fine with it. I would NOT allow these behaviors from my dogs, though.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I don't allow jumping up or biting from other people's dogs, just out of self-defense. Licking and other signs of affection are ok by me. But you're right, I don't tolerate my dog misbehaving towards others even when they say 'oh it's ok'

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
1) I have noticed a greasy feeling on my ex-boyfriends dog, who is a Husky, she only got a bath like twice a year if she was lucky, so her coat always felt greasy because of the oils in her coat. Other dogs I think it depends on how often they get a bath and the breed, some breeds feel greasy to me like the northern breeds, but that could just be me.

2) I somewhat tolerate misbehavior in other peoples dogs unless it's biting or jumping I don't really want a 125 ld dog jumping on me it'll flatten me lol. If I know them then I'll correct them. I feel it's up to the owner to make sure their dog(s) behave around strangers, not me, but in certain behaviors I'll correct them just because I don't want to get hurt like Stosh said it's out of self defense. I certainly do not tolerate misbehaviors in my own dogs ie. jumping, licking, ect. I'm sure nobody wants a 75 lb GSD jumping on them trying to lick their face lol.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
1. I notice the greasy feeling on dogs that don't get baths, and certain breeds that excrete oils, but my own dogs and the shelter dogs I've never felt it on. It is gross.

2. I don't tolerate bad dog behavior from any dog. No jumping, biting, barking, etc. Licking is fine if I'm allowing it, but I don't consider that bad behavior. I will also stop other people's dogs from going onto the furniture and the counters if I know they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't allow the mouthing, but the licking and the jumping (small breeds) are fine.

But I also try to reinforce what the owners are trying to teach their dogs, like the furniture thing. I know sometimes it's a pain to run across the house to get the dog off the couch if I'm sitting right there. We let our dogs on the couch, though. lol

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
1. Do you guys notice a 'greasy' feeling on your hands after petting certain dogs? All of our dogs besides Ozzy leave a nasty little coat of greasy stuff on your hands when you pet them. :sick:
Not unless one of them needs a bath.

2. Do you tolerate bad behavior from other people's dogs? I know I do. I allow other people's dogs to jump on me or lick me or do whatever, as long as the owner is fine with it. I would NOT allow these behaviors from my dogs, though.
I don't like dogs, mine or anyone elses, jumping on me, licking me, etc. I'll ask the owner to stop the unwanted behavior, if they don't I'll leave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts